GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What tires came with your GX?
Michelin Cross Terrains
56.72%
Bridgestone Dueler
24.63%
Dunlop Grandtrek
18.66%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

What brand tires do YOU have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 03:40 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=The G Man]

well i would not get into any Numbers as such.. but just the fact that GX has switched from one tire to another to another in just 4 yrs of production and its sisterproduct 4 runners also full of problems.. should be enough hint that problem is the car not the tire which is on lot of cars in the market.
Ii agree with you michelins are very comfortable tires and like i said they do compensate for the vibration where as bridgestones have stiffer side wall and areless forgiving but that doesn't change the fact that GX generally has a problem and its wrong to put the blame on tires... tires like dueler which have been around for yrs on lot of different cars. You can check my post of my prado in one of the threads and u will notice my prado also supports the same tire.. and prado is very heavy compared to the GX.. and i never had problems with that either and further you can even do a google seach and u will see on edmunds lot of people complaining about all kinds of vibration in GX will all kinds of Tires. its like the clunk problem either you have it or you don't.
the point of my discussion was that the problem is with gx not the tires... and suddenly it seems like its become which is a better tire. thats individual taste.. if i say i like dueler more and u say cross terrains more.. thats our choice... i'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with duelers thats all. i have had them on different cars as OEM and never had a problem. i have had michelins as well.. and liked them as well.
Old 05-18-06, 04:02 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=sayadil]
Originally Posted by The G Man

well i would not get into any Numbers as such.. but just the fact that GX has switched from one tire to another to another in just 4 yrs of production and its sisterproduct 4 runners also full of problems.. should be enough hint that problem is the car not the tire which is on lot of cars in the market.
Ii agree with you michelins are very comfortable tires and like i said they do compensate for the vibration where as bridgestones have stiffer side wall and areless forgiving but that doesn't change the fact that GX generally has a problem and its wrong to put the blame on tires... tires like dueler which have been around for yrs on lot of different cars. You can check my post of my prado in one of the threads and u will notice my prado also supports the same tire.. and prado is very heavy compared to the GX.. and i never had problems with that either and further you can even do a google seach and u will see on edmunds lot of people complaining about all kinds of vibration in GX will all kinds of Tires. its like the clunk problem either you have it or you don't.
the point of my discussion was that the problem is with gx not the tires... and suddenly it seems like its become which is a better tire. thats individual taste.. if i say i like dueler more and u say cross terrains more.. thats our choice... i'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with duelers thats all. i have had them on different cars as OEM and never had a problem. i have had michelins as well.. and liked them as well.

wait, so even if the tires have been balanced and rotated, you can still feel the vibration?? I'm kinda feeling the vibration, but then again, I'm still on my original tires (44k on Michelin Cross Terrains) . still trying to see if the vibration comes from the tires or from the car (like the original vibration issue before)
Old 05-18-06, 10:26 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

[QUOTE=Rx900]
Originally Posted by sayadil

wait, so even if the tires have been balanced and rotated, you can still feel the vibration?? I'm kinda feeling the vibration, but then again, I'm still on my original tires (44k on Michelin Cross Terrains) . still trying to see if the vibration comes from the tires or from the car (like the original vibration issue before)
thanks for writing Rx900.. see thats what i was saying. to trebien n the other guy. the problem is with the GX.. i want you (trebien n that other guy also) to read this statement from www.toyota-4runner.org
" Now the sad news...according to a GX470 owner, ZELZ:

"Acoording to the Service Manager of a dealership and a Regional Factory rep who drove my 2003 GX470 they state in a letter to me: 'We felt at the time the vehicle operated the same as other GX470's'. In talking to the Service Manager today I reminded him that when he drove the vehicle he said that it did have a vibration and several others had the same. Therefore, Lexus, the company, is now telling them to tell the owner...the vibration came with the vehicle at no extra cost and they all do the same thing...so forget talking about it or trying to have Lexus fix it. In other words..they now say it is normal for the GX. This way they have no liablity to honor a fix for the problem. I guess that's one way to get out of their responsibility to take care of a problem in a new vehicle...."

You know if you go into the dealership with your problem.. first thing they will do is balance them and when balancing wouldn't help then i bet you anything.. the first thing they will tell you is.. that may be the vibration is coz your tires almost lost all thier tread... u prolly need new tires... if they weren't michelins then they would simply blame the tires .. anyway
ok Rx 900 this is what u should do... 44k so ur still under warranty for 6000 more...
i want you to do one thing before you run out of warranty... take it to the Dealer tell them that you have a problem.. and ask them to perform the TSB number ST3010 .. this is the old tsb number they have an updated TSB number which was released in feb 2006... but they should be able to tell you that... both tsb's should be cross referenced. this TSB includes these changes and more... : read below:
1 41196-60010 DAMPER, DIFFERENTIAL
2 90080-10167 BOLT, WASHER BASED H
1 52380-60061 SUPPORT ASSY, DIFFER
1 51405-35101 COVER S/A, ENGINE UN
1 45219-60090 YOKE, STEERING SLIDI
1 45203-60120 SHAFT SUB-ASSY, STRG
FC: 44,99
PART#: 41196-60010
COUNT: 1
2727 steering driveline vibration/drone noise, SERVICE BULLETIN ST3010

that should take care of the problem...

But i truely hope that just the balancing fixes it.. make sure they carry proper HAWKA Adapters.. and preferably GSP9000 balancing machine.. they r the best.
Old 05-25-06, 08:53 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Specified to the dealer that our GX come equipped with the Michelin's, and found them to be a good all-around tire. We have had Revo's on the GX for the last year and a half. My father-in-law had Dunlops on his GX, and they are marketly inferior, especially in the wet in terms of grip and hydroplane resistance.
Old 05-25-06, 11:56 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Specified to the dealer that our GX come equipped with the Michelin's, and found them to be a good all-around tire. We have had Revo's on the GX for the last year and a half. My father-in-law had Dunlops on his GX, and they are marketly inferior, especially in the wet in terms of grip and hydroplane resistance.
well michelin is a better tire for wet snow condition no doubt... but issues that people r having with GX is not tires fault no matter which brand name tire ur using. by the way revo is AT tire.. tread is very aggressive and can't be compared to Ht tire like michelin which came with the car. and Revo is the best A/T tire you can get... has won lot of awards... its an amzing tire if your into offroading alot.. but its not preferrable for highway driving.
Old 05-26-06, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thye Revo got pretty good highway and road noise ratings from tire rack as well.
Old 05-30-06, 09:12 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

I actually do a fair bit of off pavement driving and got the Revo's to provide an extra margin of comfort, especially in loose gravel and wet conditions. The Revo's actually have better dry/wet on-road grip and hydroplanning resistance than the Michelins; at the expense of weight, and minimally higher levels of noise and ride harshness. Barely noticeable, as if they were, my wife would make me put the Michelins back on.
Old 05-30-06, 09:51 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgsntth
I actually do a fair bit of off pavement driving and got the Revo's to provide an extra margin of comfort, especially in loose gravel and wet conditions. The Revo's actually have better dry/wet on-road grip and hydroplanning resistance than the Michelins; at the expense of weight, and minimally higher levels of noise and ride harshness. Barely noticeable, as if they were, my wife would make me put the Michelins back on.

Well for your kinda driving REVO is a better choice then the michelins.
Old 05-30-06, 10:07 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

well going through this thread... i'm thinking how different people are happy with different tires.. i mean i was happy with the duelers which came on mine and there r few people who were happy with Grandtreks.. so i'm thinking as howcome some people r critizing the tires saying they are not good.. problem might be with these trucks itself and people blame the tires. coz if you think about it.. if the tires are the problem.. then howcome not all the people r having problems with grandtreks n duelers.
Perhaps it's the perspective of experience. When you see someone who has had BOTH tires and vastly prefers the Michelins, then that means more to me than someone who has only had the Bridgestones or Dunlops and thought they were good. Good, but relative to what?

Michelins do make comfortable tires but they are overpriced and its not really justified.. i have had michelins in the past and i agree they r comfortable but the price difference is still not justified...
I don't understand your reasoning here. You are willing to pay MANY, MANY thousands of dollars for a Lexus vs. something cheaper, yet you won't pay ~$250 for tires that improve the ride and ownership experience of the car for 50K miles??? That doesn't make sense to me.

so again.. while dunlop brigdestone are good tire companies with lot of experience its hard to digest that their product is the problem. they wouldn't be on th market if thier tires sucked...
There are LOTS of products on the market that suck when compared to the best products of their kind on the market. In fact, a HUGE majority of products on the market -- whether they be tires, telephones, ink pens, or toilet paper -- fall into this category if you define "sucks" by a demanding definition.

as for bridgestone.. its one of the biggest companies in the world.. with lot of history..
And this means what? GM is a big company. Does that mean their products are better than Toyota's?
Old 05-30-06, 12:18 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default ok one last time!

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Perhaps it's the perspective of experience. When you see someone who has had BOTH tires and vastly prefers the Michelins, then that means more to me than someone who has only had the Bridgestones or Dunlops and thought they were good. Good, but relative to what?

Good to relative to what?? don't think u been reading through this tread. Tires like cars appeal to different people.. while some people like the smooth ride of michelins others prefer more aggressive/stiff ride so even though one might like the michelin the other might prefer bridgestones.. ITs Good and thats it.. it doesn't have to be relative to anything.. its called INDIVIDUAL preference.

I don't understand your reasoning here. You are willing to pay MANY, MANY thousands of dollars for a Lexus vs. something cheaper, yet you won't pay ~$250 for tires that improve the ride and ownership experience of the car for 50K miles??? That doesn't make sense to me.

Well just coz we spend over 50k on our car doesn't mean we go out there buying whatever costs more. IF i liked the michelins alot more then brigestones then only i would see why i would spend the extra buck. If you see my car i have done alot of modification which has almost cost me around 7000 already.. and with DVD system it will be another 3000. so Money is not the only issue here.. its the fact if i like the difference in ride so much. which i don't. I have had michelins in the past... and i exactly know how they drive and i'm/was satisfied with Duelers so i dint see any reason throwing 250 off for the tires. It doesn't have to make sense to you, it does to me.

There are LOTS of products on the market that suck when compared to the best products of their kind on the market. In fact, a HUGE majority of products on the market -- whether they be tires, telephones, ink pens, or toilet paper -- fall into this category if you define "sucks" by a demanding definition.

Well SUCK here means Deffective... (read the forum before u ask these dumb questions) Duelers are everywhere on lot of cars.. and GX has Vibration problems... and its cousin 4runner shares the same problem.. even with diff tires... dunlop or MICHELINS> so its got nothing to do with the tires but the car itself. thats what i meant by saying these tires have been out too long and have been tested by different people including myself over the period of time. GX has been plagued by problems... and if you read a diff tread u will see that vibration has nothing to with these tires as whole. these tires r out on all kinds of cars n trucks and none of them have vibration issues. (few tires could always be bad .. with any company)

And this means what? GM is a big company. Does that mean their products are better than Toyota's?
GM is a big company.. but hasn't done too much to impress me.. and if you know anything about tires.. you would know what kinda company bridgestone is... its got lot of history.. it ties goodyear for the biggest company in the world meaning its everywhere.. and people been using its products everywhere without problems.. unlike GM.
I have owned lot of cars in the past... and GX is the only one i have experienced with so many vibration issues.. and it funny how the ignorant ones blame the Duelers.

Even though you asked the same questions which have been answered before... the purpose of my discussion was not proove whether dueler is better or michelin. its individual opinion based on our own experiences. i have used all kinds of tires from Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokahamas, Goodyear, Hankook, Toyos, Nainkook and a strange tire called Hercules (chineese). so i know how these tires drive. Different tires have thier own strengths n weaknesses.... but FLAW is a different story all together. Dueler is a good performer all around and i like them. Michelins r comfy but i would still go with yokohamas in that dept. its all about your own choice.. thats why all these companies appeal to different people.
Old 05-30-06, 01:02 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

GM is a big company.. but hasn't done too much to impress me.. and if you know anything about tires.. you would know what kinda company bridgestone is... its got lot of history.. it ties goodyear for the biggest company in the world meaning its everywhere.. and people been using its products everywhere without problems.. unlike GM.
I have owned lot of cars in the past... and GX is the only one i have experienced with so many vibration issues.. and it funny how the ignorant ones blame the Duelers.
Like I said, I can't make sense of most of your responses. They seem to contradict one another and argue with one another, so it's hard for me to sort out what you're saying. But, with you listing modifications as "performance exhaust tip" and "custom tip", I suspect we'll never see eye to eye and will just have to agree to disagree on many things automotive.

But in parting, let me say: Michelin FTW.
Old 05-30-06, 03:49 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=sayadil]
Originally Posted by Rx900

thanks for writing Rx900.. see thats what i was saying. to trebien n the other guy. the problem is with the GX.. i want you (trebien n that other guy also) to read this statement from www.toyota-4runner.org
" Now the sad news...according to a GX470 owner, ZELZ:

"Acoording to the Service Manager of a dealership and a Regional Factory rep who drove my 2003 GX470 they state in a letter to me: 'We felt at the time the vehicle operated the same as other GX470's'. In talking to the Service Manager today I reminded him that when he drove the vehicle he said that it did have a vibration and several others had the same. Therefore, Lexus, the company, is now telling them to tell the owner...the vibration came with the vehicle at no extra cost and they all do the same thing...so forget talking about it or trying to have Lexus fix it. In other words..they now say it is normal for the GX. This way they have no liablity to honor a fix for the problem. I guess that's one way to get out of their responsibility to take care of a problem in a new vehicle...."

You know if you go into the dealership with your problem.. first thing they will do is balance them and when balancing wouldn't help then i bet you anything.. the first thing they will tell you is.. that may be the vibration is coz your tires almost lost all thier tread... u prolly need new tires... if they weren't michelins then they would simply blame the tires .. anyway
ok Rx 900 this is what u should do... 44k so ur still under warranty for 6000 more...
i want you to do one thing before you run out of warranty... take it to the Dealer tell them that you have a problem.. and ask them to perform the TSB number ST3010 .. this is the old tsb number they have an updated TSB number which was released in feb 2006... but they should be able to tell you that... both tsb's should be cross referenced. this TSB includes these changes and more... : read below:
1 41196-60010 DAMPER, DIFFERENTIAL
2 90080-10167 BOLT, WASHER BASED H
1 52380-60061 SUPPORT ASSY, DIFFER
1 51405-35101 COVER S/A, ENGINE UN
1 45219-60090 YOKE, STEERING SLIDI
1 45203-60120 SHAFT SUB-ASSY, STRG
FC: 44,99
PART#: 41196-60010
COUNT: 1
2727 steering driveline vibration/drone noise, SERVICE BULLETIN ST3010

that should take care of the problem...

But i truely hope that just the balancing fixes it.. make sure they carry proper HAWKA Adapters.. and preferably GSP9000 balancing machine.. they r the best.

ok. i'll see. i'll probably bring it up on my 45k service and see what they know. plus, i think i'm going to have the clunk done again with the new tsb cuz i've been hearing good feedback from those who had their GXs done. thanx for the TSBs sayadil
Old 05-30-06, 09:28 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

well my tip's model name was DRIVERFX performance exhaust black chrome tip and thats why i wrote that... other than that.... well i don't need you to agree... that i could tell from ur questions such as GOOD! RELATIVE TO WHAT?
Discussion was whether the problem is with the tires as blamed by the dealerships or the car itself.. and it has been prooved it was the car not the tire( most cases) coz there r people with duelers who had no problems and then there r people with michelins who have problems. its either u have it or not...nothing to do with the tires. TIRES ARE GREAT.

RX900.. no problem. bext of luck with your service. make sure you get them to do the CLUNK TSB as well if the problems still there.
Old 06-13-06, 11:55 AM
Salvator
Driver

Our 2006 came with Bridgestones... Asked at the dealer whether any vehicles on the lot had Michelins (based on info gleaned while lurking in this thread ) but he indicated they were all Bridgestones... did not verify...
Old 06-17-06, 06:53 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like I'm getting Bridgestone Duelers on my 06 4Runner. Any suggestions on how long these tires last?? 35k? 40k miles?

Quick Reply: What brand tires do YOU have?