GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What tires came with your GX?
Michelin Cross Terrains
56.72%
Bridgestone Dueler
24.63%
Dunlop Grandtrek
18.66%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

What brand tires do YOU have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 12:10 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx900
Looks like I'm getting Bridgestone Duelers on my 06 4Runner. Any suggestions on how long these tires last?? 35k? 40k miles?
hey i changed my duelers at 65k.. for bigger chrome wheels n tires... my duelers are still good for another 10k atleast.. planing to put them back on in winters (along with factory rims)...
depends alot on where u drive and how u drive as well.. but i would atleast expect well over 50K
Old 06-27-06, 04:48 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
hey i changed my duelers at 65k.. for bigger chrome wheels n tires... my duelers are still good for another 10k atleast.. planing to put them back on in winters (along with factory rims)...
depends alot on where u drive and how u drive as well.. but i would atleast expect well over 50K
oh, ok. thanks. I've heard rumors that Duelers don't get that many miles, but that's great. I really had no choice with the 4Runner. They had a sale, and they couldn't swap tires with another 4Runner on the lot that had Michelins on them. oh well!??!
Old 06-28-06, 10:44 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Well i'm telling you with first hand experience.. i have had duelers on three suvs.. and they all lasted over 50k.. which is very decent... i don't drive too fast and i hardly go offroading... so they last long in my case... well u will be happy with duelers.. don't let people tell u anything.. be your own judge and keep an open mind.. so that u don't get paronoid even before you make a judgement.

Originally Posted by Rx900
oh, ok. thanks. I've heard rumors that Duelers don't get that many miles, but that's great. I really had no choice with the 4Runner. They had a sale, and they couldn't swap tires with another 4Runner on the lot that had Michelins on them. oh well!??!
Old 06-29-06, 04:33 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sayadil
Well i'm telling you with first hand experience.. i have had duelers on three suvs.. and they all lasted over 50k.. which is very decent... i don't drive too fast and i hardly go offroading... so they last long in my case... well u will be happy with duelers.. don't let people tell u anything.. be your own judge and keep an open mind.. so that u don't get paronoid even before you make a judgement.
Sayadil, where you been man? Haven't seen you around in a while.

CV
Old 06-30-06, 11:57 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Sayadil, where you been man? Haven't seen you around in a while.

CV
hey i've been around.. its just that not posting too much u know.. some people really leave you with a bad after taste...u know what i mean.. but i should get back to posting soon...
Old 07-02-06, 12:09 PM
LexusStevo
Driver School Candidate

So i was just curious what tires do the new GX470 owners have, and for those that have high mileage, did u replace your tires with original ones or different brands??
Bought a new GX 470 yesterday, manufactured in June, and it had the Bridgestone Duelers -- just like my 2003 GX 470.

It did make me wonder which models come with the Michelins.

My previous Duelers got down to 3/32" thread in 24,000 miles. Might have been my bad driving habits.
Old 07-04-06, 07:04 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusStevo
Bought a new GX 470 yesterday, manufactured in June, and it had the Bridgestone Duelers -- just like my 2003 GX 470.

It did make me wonder which models come with the Michelins.

My previous Duelers got down to 3/32" thread in 24,000 miles. Might have been my bad driving habits.
I see most new GX470s in the dealership with Michelins. It's the 4Runner that mostly comes in Duelers.

That is really bad threadwear you got there. What kind of driving do u do? I bet you must be doing a lot of donuts (or trying to). lol. jst j/k.
Old 07-04-06, 10:18 AM
LexusStevo
Driver School Candidate

I see most new GX470s in the dealership with Michelins. It's the 4Runner that mostly comes in Duelers.

That is really bad threadwear you got there. What kind of driving do u do? I bet you must be doing a lot of donuts (or trying to). lol. jst j/k

Could be the tire, but most likely my driving. Although the 4-wheel drive wears out tires faster, in my experience.

Is there a specific type of Michelins that tends to come on the GX470? I wonder if their treadwear is a lot better than the Duelers?

The Duelers are "mud & snow" tires -- I can't imagine they would be great for city & freeway driving!

Since I have a 15,000 mile lease, I'm sure I'll be replacing my tires before the end of the lease. One thing I could do is just go out and buy the Michelins, have them put on now, and stash the Duelers for when the GX is returned at the end of the lease.
Old 07-04-06, 09:59 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusStevo

Could be the tire, but most likely my driving. Although the 4-wheel drive wears out tires faster, in my experience.

Is there a specific type of Michelins that tends to come on the GX470? I wonder if their treadwear is a lot better than the Duelers?

The Duelers are "mud & snow" tires -- I can't imagine they would be great for city & freeway driving!

Since I have a 15,000 mile lease, I'm sure I'll be replacing my tires before the end of the lease. One thing I could do is just go out and buy the Michelins, have them put on now, and stash the Duelers for when the GX is returned at the end of the lease.
That works, but i doubt that you'd change it back to the Duelers when the lease is up, because these Michelins WILL give you long thread life.
Old 07-20-06, 09:53 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My tires need changing and I was thinking about Yokohama, Michelins, or maybe even the Goodyear Fortera Tripletread. It ranks high on Tireracks site.
Old 07-20-06, 04:47 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by looknow12
My tires need changing and I was thinking about Yokohama, Michelins, or maybe even the Goodyear Fortera Tripletread. It ranks high on Tireracks site.
Yokohama Advan is an amazing Tire my fren got it on his factory rims... look n drive amazin
Old 07-21-06, 07:26 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i did not know that the Duelers and the Grandtreks have the same threadwear! I saw a GX w/Grandtreks, and checked his threadwear rating. Both Duelers and Grandtreks have threadwear of 300. That means 60k miles the most. The Cross Terrains have a threadwear of 420.
Old 08-20-06, 10:36 AM
seanyepez
Rookie

Treadwear can help you get an idea of how long a tire might last. However, you cannot accurately compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. Treadwear is only an accurate point of comparison between tires of one brand. For example, Falken Azenis RT-615 have a treadwear rating of 200 but wear faster than Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's which have a treadwear of 140. Yokohama Advans wear slower than Azenis yet they are rated at 180.
Old 02-05-07, 12:06 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by seanyepez
Treadwear can help you get an idea of how long a tire might last. However, you cannot accurately compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. Treadwear is only an accurate point of comparison between tires of one brand. For example, Falken Azenis RT-615 have a treadwear rating of 200 but wear faster than Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's which have a treadwear of 140. Yokohama Advans wear slower than Azenis yet they are rated at 180.
Absolutely correct, and further NO treadwear indicator is "mapped" to a specific number of miles (i.e. the poster seemed to stated a TW of 300 means 60K miles).

It truly is a "worthless" (and misleading!) metric, as very few people are trying to decide between 2 tires of the same brand, most decisions are between brands.
Old 02-06-07, 10:55 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Well I think it boils down to the Yokohama Geolander's and the Goodyear Forteras. I ended up buying a set of Forteras despite their ridiculas price. I have 25K miles and going strong

Quick Reply: What brand tires do YOU have?