GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Moon Roof lets in Moon and more....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 05:20 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moon Roof lets in Moon and more....

For starters, my daughter has a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a moon roof that automatically closes when you turn off the car. Why doesn't my 06 GX do the same thing? I have locked the car several times with roof open! I know, sounds dumb, but it happens. I would think the GX would sound the long beep, as if a door was still open, when I push to key fob to lock it. Nope, it beeps as if the car is secure. The wipers have a rain sensor, how about closing the roof if it rains? Any Lexus engineers out there? I have found nothing in the owners manual about this auto close option, if it exists, so here I am. Am I missing something, or is it Walter Cronkite? ("and that's the way it is")
Old 04-21-06, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Some people leave their moon roof open in the summer when they park to vent the car.
Old 04-21-06, 08:46 AM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

We may have reached the bottom of the barrel, as far as nit-picking a fine auto goes...
Old 04-21-06, 09:27 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Nit pick this - The remote will open all the windows and moonroof, but not close them??? I suppose that makes sense to you too?? Hellooooo McFly!!!

Odds are, one of you will sit in a puddle of rain water because our fine autos were ignored when it comes to basic logic and security. Perhaps you will lose your wallet or purse to a theif who reaches in your moon roof undetected, but at least the car will be nice and cool when that happens.

Anyway, I was hoping for a hint, trick, or setting to help me solve this problem. If you do not have that, go to the next thread. Thanks.
Old 04-21-06, 10:18 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

My dogs ride everywhere with me, work, errands, vacation and personally I want the sunroof to stay open if I had it opened.

And how's this for nit picking a fine truck. Last week for the first time since I got my GX, I wanted the engine to run with the AC on but the doors locked. My dogs were inside the GX and I had to park for 30 minutes in the HOT sun. Every previous SUV that I've had would allow the second key fob to lock all the doors while the primary key was in the ignition. Not the GX. I worked around it by sitting inside the truck, power locking all doors, exiting through the driver's door and then physically locking that door with the 2nd key. Upon my return, the key fob would not unlock any door, so I had to insert the key, give it a twist to unlock the friver's door and then unlock remaining doors from the power button on the inside door panel. Beside the hassle of the barn door window not rolling down, this is my first complaint. I've had the GX 4 months. At this point into ownership of my '04 Touareg, I'd been to the dealer 4 times for electrical problems plus had to deal with a dead battery twice. Of course that's why I am now in a GX.

On my Touareg board we complained about frozen transmissions, dead batteries, mirrors that randomly adjusted themselves down, ACs that wouldn't cool, radios with no sound, headlights that wouldn't light up, power seats that would not move and tires that were shot after 11,000 miles. GX drivers don't know what real hassles are. Damn glad I'm now driving a GX.

Rick

ps. as we often said on the Touareg board,
"A yugo that runs is faster than a Touareg that doesn't"
Old 04-21-06, 11:20 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the people leaving their sunroofs open, you can roll teh windows up and what not just put the key in and turn it towards lock and hold it the old remotes used to do the same just when they switched to the new one the panic button took over w/ lock
Old 04-21-06, 05:27 PM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GXRick
My dogs ride everywhere with me, work, errands, vacation and personally I want the sunroof to stay open if I had it opened.

And how's this for nit picking a fine truck. Last week for the first time since I got my GX, I wanted the engine to run with the AC on but the doors locked. My dogs were inside the GX and I had to park for 30 minutes in the HOT sun. Every previous SUV that I've had would allow the second key fob to lock all the doors while the primary key was in the ignition. Not the GX. I worked around it by sitting inside the truck, power locking all doors, exiting through the driver's door and then physically locking that door with the 2nd key. Upon my return, the key fob would not unlock any door, so I had to insert the key, give it a twist to unlock the friver's door and then unlock remaining doors from the power button on the inside door panel. Beside the hassle of the barn door window not rolling down, this is my first complaint. I've had the GX 4 months. At this point into ownership of my '04 Touareg, I'd been to the dealer 4 times for electrical problems plus had to deal with a dead battery twice. Of course that's why I am now in a GX.

On my Touareg board we complained about frozen transmissions, dead batteries, mirrors that randomly adjusted themselves down, ACs that wouldn't cool, radios with no sound, headlights that wouldn't light up, power seats that would not move and tires that were shot after 11,000 miles. GX drivers don't know what real hassles are. Damn glad I'm now driving a GX.

Rick

ps. as we often said on the Touareg board,
"A yugo that runs is faster than a Touareg that doesn't"
Amen brother!!!
Old 04-22-06, 01:19 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey GXRick, do you or one of your neighbors have a pool? What color is your roof? I got bored and google earthed your location

As for the problem with the sunroof that always puzzled me how you can open all the windows and the sunroof with they remote but cant close anything. I always thought there should be a second button to close everything back up

Last edited by 1loudLX; 04-22-06 at 03:08 AM.