GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

$70 fill up

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 06:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default $70 fill up

I fill my gas tank up last night and it was $68.90, won’t be long before that $100 a tank comes along. I am thinging about going back to regular grade gasoline, but percentage wise, premium gas has gone up less than regular. I would save about a $4 a week. Might be time for a new car soon, my wife drives the 06 RAV4 which gets about 30 mpg, and it has 269 hp. I wish Lexus would come out with a hybrid GX soon or I may be force to buy a RX400H.
Old 04-21-06, 08:05 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear you man.

After I heard prices for gas may reach 4.00 a gallon - I began searching on ebay for a prius. That's a little extreme but in the heat of the moment, 4 bucks a gallon is extreme too.

Good luck with the 400h if you end up getting one. I'm just going to try to make more money to offset the fuel prices or negotiate working from home with my company.
Old 04-27-06, 10:40 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Tell Me You Did Not See This Coming .....

After last year, this was inevitable. Don't plan on having fantastic resale prices on our trucks when it comes to trade in time. You will probably hear about more people getting "deals" when they purchase there trucks in the future. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why that will be ...
Old 04-27-06, 11:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmm, a 40% increase in gas price in 3 years. I must say, I didnt see it coming. If only my pay check would go up 40% in 3 years, then I would be fine.
I just fill up for the 1st time today with regular gas, I save a whole 4 bucks, yahoo. Have any of you notice any difference in performance, engine noise and vibration or gas mileage when switching from premium to regular?
Old 04-27-06, 11:54 AM
osomoso
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hmmmm, a 40% increase in gas price in 3 years. I must say, I didnt see it coming. If only my pay check would go up 40% in 3 years, then I would be fine.
I just fill up for the 1st time today with regular gas, I save a whole 4 bucks, yahoo. Have any of you notice any difference in performance, engine noise and vibration or gas mileage when switching from premium to regular?
Just put $61.00 in my LX today. $14.00 of which was taxes to the various government thieves.
Old 04-27-06, 12:38 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Not trying to be political but I was watching comedy central yesterday and heard this:

Don't the US have control over Iraq, the land of the oil? So why is gas so high???

I switch to 89 sometimes and don't hear or notice anything, esp. that tack tack tack noise when you shut off the engine. BTW aren't suvs suppose to be running fine with 89 and lower because it doesn't burn as fast as the higher performance sedan?
I've never put in regular though.
Old 04-27-06, 12:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

91 octane is suppose to with stand higher compression before it ignites. The knocking sound you hear on some cars are cause by pre-ignition. The GX's compression ratio is 10:1 i believe. The 4runner and the tundra which uses the same V8 engine uses 87 octane.
Old 04-27-06, 02:02 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

your only fooling yourself with the RX hybrid or the Highlander hybrid.............the gained fuel economy is eaten up in the premium of the price..............want to save money, buy a flex fuel car (E85). Regular gas here is selling at 2.97/gallon while E85 is selling at 2.30/gallon.
Old 04-28-06, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jugdish
your only fooling yourself with the RX hybrid or the Highlander hybrid.............the gained fuel economy is eaten up in the premium of the price..............want to save money, buy a flex fuel car (E85). Regular gas here is selling at 2.97/gallon while E85 is selling at 2.30/gallon.
Everything has a trade off, E85 gets about 20% less mile per gallon than gasoline. Hopefully, in the future, they will improve on the gas milage. I agree though, E85 might be the wave of the future.
Old 04-28-06, 09:30 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E85 makes more sense than hybrid, it doesn cost more to make the vehicle and it puts money in our economy, not someone elses. Problem is you can't buy it a lot of places and only the domestics really support it. Needs to be a legislated push to get us there, but hybrid isn't an answer (or even much of a solution as most people only see a modest gain, especially in suv's, not worth the 10k premium to get 3 or 4 miles to the gallon better).

It isn't even really supply and demand these days - there is lots of oil to go around, it is market speculation and wall st chasing returns in energy that they are not getting in other areas - we are doing it to ourselves is what sucks!
Old 05-01-06, 06:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

E85 on the average gets 25 to 20 % less gas mileage than gasoline, so whatever saving you get from the price will be offset by that. On the other hand, it would be nice to but gas produced here in the good old USA.
Old 05-01-06, 08:34 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Interesting Statistics about E85 ...

I read some interesting statistics about E85 Production. Basically to replace the current Petroleum addiction we have, would require we stop eating grain. Something on the magnitude of 4x the current crop production to replace the Oil imported. This product is probably introduced to supplement the incomes of farmers somewhere. Let's hope not everbody turns to this form of "Eco" friendliness. Also, we are just trading off one from of pollution for another. Imagine how much more in Chemical fertilizers and Pesticides will get dumped into water systems to accomodate an increased consumption. Hey, everything has a trade-off. I for one think that the Hybrid or low-emission vehicles are a better distraction until Hydrogen Fuel cells are common place. Even than, I wonder what damage we will do with that kind of chemical extraction.

For now, I use regular. And keep the driving to what's needed. At least our truck gets better mileage than most SUV's
Old 05-04-06, 10:21 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Got a $50 shell gas card from the folks for Easter (I am 30 btw but my mom insists). Anyway, filled up yesterday and emptied the card and was still about 1/8th of a tank short of full...

CV
Old 05-04-06, 11:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I read some interesting statistics about E85 Production. Basically to replace the current Petroleum addiction we have, would require we stop eating grain. Something on the magnitude of 4x the current crop production to replace the Oil imported. This product is probably introduced to supplement the incomes of farmers somewhere. Let's hope not everbody turns to this form of "Eco" friendliness. Also, we are just trading off one from of pollution for another. Imagine how much more in Chemical fertilizers and Pesticides will get dumped into water systems to accomodate an increased consumption. Hey, everything has a trade-off. I for one think that the Hybrid or low-emission vehicles are a better distraction until Hydrogen Fuel cells are common place. Even than, I wonder what damage we will do with that kind of chemical extraction.

For now, I use regular. And keep the driving to what's needed. At least our truck gets better mileage than most SUV's
dont forget those chemicals and fertizers components are derived from petroleum goods I bet
Old 05-04-06, 12:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Just about done with my 1st tank of 87 octane. I must say, I can feel a tiny bit of difference in accelaration. My gas mileage went down about 0.4 MPG according to the computer, but that could be caused by a number of other factors. Just wondering if anyone on this board use 87 octane regularly and how they feel about it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: $70 fill up