GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

OK, so how come we don't have a clear Nav screen like the new ES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 08:36 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, so how come we don't have a clear Nav screen like the new ES?

I was at the car show last night and took a good look at the new ES. WOW- was the Nav screen nice and clear--didn't look all pixellated and, well, "fuzzy". Looked like the Nav screen in most other vehicles.
This brings to mind a question/gripe I've had-- Considering how advenced and capable Lexus electronics are, why does the Nav screen have a resolution reminicent of an old Atari game? Is there anything we can do about it?
Old 04-24-06, 07:59 AM
Prayn4sno
Driver School Candidate

From what i was told thats the Nav 5 that will be in the 2007 GX.
Old 04-24-06, 08:01 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWS3
I was at the car show last night and took a good look at the new ES. WOW- was the Nav screen nice and clear--didn't look all pixellated and, well, "fuzzy". Looked like the Nav screen in most other vehicles.
This brings to mind a question/gripe I've had-- Considering how advenced and capable Lexus electronics are, why does the Nav screen have a resolution reminicent of an old Atari game? Is there anything we can do about it?
I guess I won't be checking out the system in the ES so I don't become bummed about mine. This is the first NAV system I have ever owned so it is fine to me.
CV
Old 04-25-06, 05:52 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWS3
When I bought my 06, the only Lexus to have the Gen5 nav was the IS. They are now upgrading the other vehicles.

I test drove the 07 RX350 (which has been available for a month or two now), and I agree the new nav system is nicer. In addition to the better resolution screen, it has more word recognition (salesman says better, but my limited test didn't show that) and probably a few more improvements. The rear backup camera comes in much clearer, also. Even more important, the new system does not have the 1980's era CD changer that comes with the GX470Nav.

I'm surprised that Lexus is not upgrading the 06GX470 Nav at the end of the year, considering that sales are tanking. Maybe they want to make a splash with the 07 (and hope that gas prices come down a bit by Sept/Oct). Better for me - since I have the current 06.
Old 04-27-06, 10:34 AM
leasalexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Gen 5

Glad to see you are hard at work making the GX all you want it to be! I'm assuming (due to I have not heard from you) you are pleased with the car and very busy with it, as your wife and I predicted at time of delivery! LOL! Tell the family I said HI!!

So, the ES 07' has Gen 5 navigation it is much better than the Gen 4 so I guess if I put in an order now you can pick up your new one in 6 mos. LOL! Seriously I had a meeting with corp yesterday and they still have not even decided if they are putting Gen 5 in the 07' GX so don't worry it is not an option that you missed. Call if you need anything!

Nikki