GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2 car seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 06:37 PM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 car seats

Hi,

My wife and I are about to buy a GX470. We have one child now, but plan to have another. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with 2 car seats in the 2nd row of the GX. Are you able to access the 3rd row when you have 2 cars seats in the 2nd row? You will obviously have to use the seat belts for the 2 car seats in order to do this becaues the latch connection on the driver's side of the car is offset toward the center. So if you use the center seat belt and the selat belt behind the driver, can you slide the 40 section of the 2nd row pass the two car seats? My wife wants to use the 3rd row for changing and feeding when we have two kids. Also, what car seats are small enough for this to work? Thanks so much!!
Old 04-29-06, 07:39 PM
tella
Driver

First off all, when you deploy two car seats in the middle row you will not be able to access the third row. Second, as far as what will work, you may use any car seats, since most of them are of standard size. Good luck!!!
Old 04-29-06, 07:40 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Well....... Hate to say this, but if this is to be your (m)

primary kid toting vehicle then a minivan would be way, way easier. How do I know this? Easy. I have both a Sienna XLE Ltd and a GX. Once you get used to the utter convenience of the sliding doors and greater room there is no going back. Can't believe I am saying this- my wife and I were ultra minivan haters and routinely referred to them as "dork mobiles". But, after our 2nd kid we decided to at least check one out and thought the Sienna in Ltd trim to be damn near a Lexus in fit, finish and appearance. Once she tried to power sliding doors and rear hatch, which made it sooooo much easier to get the kids in/out she was hooked and now loves it. Weird, huh? I traded my E500 for the GX as I too needed more room. But, if all goes well, maybe i another couple of years I can add an IS350 or something to the family as a fun car. Still love performance sedans, even if for now I need to be a bit more practical.
As for your original question, the only way to know for sure is to take your car seats down to the dealer and physically try it out.
Old 04-29-06, 08:21 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe me, she will not want to use the third row seats to change the kids. Just thinking about the contortions involved makes my back hurt

Your best bet for a "changing table" is a standard SUV with a lift up hatch. You can get one without the third row, or get one where the third row folds flat (the GX and Toyota 4Runner have weird arrangements where the seats are hung precariously on the side windows - for safety you would probably take them out for now). If you put the car seats in the second row, a hatch area with flat folding third row or no third row will make a nice changing table.

I'd recommend the standard lift hatches instead of the GX barn door - they are much safer (I have been hit in the wind by the barn door from behind numerous times), and the hatch makes a great rain and sun cover - it's like having an awning. In a pinch you can even have a picnic back there (I've done it).

If you leave the third row of seats in you will also have little room for a stroller and all the usual baby type stuff.
Old 04-30-06, 12:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

If you want to use 2 car seats, you can place the 2 on the left side (60/40 split). The right side is a one seater so you can use that to access the 3rd row.
My wife sat on the left side with the baby in the middle and I had the right seat up to fit a book case in there.

Seems like you won't be needing the 3rd row for passengers which is good because the GX trunk space is way too small when the 3rd row is down.
Old 04-30-06, 03:30 PM
schan1w
Driver

Yes, I plan to put the two seats on the 60 side of the 2nd row. However, my question is has anyone successfully FIT two car seats on that side that still allows the 40 section to go forward?
Thanks for the replies so far!