GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What do you guys think of this??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 12:01 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think of this??

Was browsing Ebay came across this performace upgrade chip specifically designed for GX... any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ULTIMATE-PERFORMA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-01-06, 04:40 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Default Not Much

Originally Posted by sayadil
Was browsing Ebay came across this performace upgrade chip specifically designed for GX... any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ULTIMATE-PERFORMA...QQcmdZViewItem
If this thing worked, it would be on every car being made today. There are a number of these type of add-on "improvements" around, none of which do any good.
Regards
Darrell

Last edited by darrellk; 05-01-06 at 04:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-06, 06:15 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

contacted the seller of this item n asked him how does this thing worked and this is what he said
"Hello,

The chip is installed into the Intake Air Temperature sensor of your vehicle. It modifies the sensor, telling it to send the message that you are receiving optimal air temperature into your air box. This message is relayed to the ECU, which in turn tells your engine that conditions are optimal and it can therefore perform at optimal conditions. This allows your engine to perform better, which results in increased horsepower and torque. This process does not harm your engine in any way.

What we are selling you is the chip that is installed onto the IAT sensor. Along with the chip you'll receive detailed instructions that will tell you exactly how to find your IAT sensor and how to install the chip. The chip plugs right into the sensor so you don't have to worry about cutting wires or soldering. It's very simple with the instructions we'll send you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

AccelRacing"

does it make any sense or no??
Old 05-02-06, 07:23 AM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am worried what it would do to the warranty. any aftermarket add on would void the warranty. hate to pay full price on repairs on a $50k truck.
Old 05-02-06, 07:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So this chip tells the computer that you are receiving optimal air temperature even when you are not. Sounds like this chip might decrease fuel efficiency and void the warrenty.
Old 05-02-06, 08:26 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

It modifies the sensor, telling it to send the message that you are receiving optimal air temperature into your air box. This message is relayed to the ECU, which in turn tells your engine that conditions are optimal and it can therefore perform at optimal conditions. This allows your engine to perform better, which results in increased horsepower and torque. This process does not harm your engine in any way.
Let's think about this. Lexus puts a chip in to send a message to the ECU to tell it when it is not receiving optimal conditions. I have to assume that they put this more complicated electronics in for a reason - namely that when conditions are not optimal, something different should happen.

What it looks like this thing does is overrides, or circumvents, the chip that Lexus designed for hopefully a good reason. I don't know enough about either system to know whether that will adversely affect performance, milage, emmissions, engine life or all of the above. What you are doing is having the sensor "lie" to the ECU about conditions - kind of like having your brain tell your body it isn't really cold outside so go take a walk in zero degrees in shorts and a tee shirt. I don't see where any long term good can come of this.
Old 05-02-06, 10:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Silver lady,

I see that you become the forum moderator. Congratulation is in order.
Old 05-02-06, 10:28 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

yeah.. well my car is out of warranty now.. so warranty is not a concern... but i just don't know whether it will do any bad to the engine.
i mean there r lot of after market chips that people put .. which overrides the manufacture systems.. but is not neccessarily bad for the car... for example.. speed breaker overide chip.. which stops the car at 112 mph for nhsta requirement can be overriden..
i just think it mite decrease the fuel efficiency... but then there r lot of things which go between the air pressure to actually improove it.. like tornado for example.. i have tornado installed on my landcruiser and it does save about 50 km on a gas tank.. which is not whole lot but it helps
Old 05-02-06, 11:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Red face

I got suckered a long time ago (before CL ) regarding an "air intake chip". It's basically a cheapy 10cent 330 ohm resistor that you plug in the maf sensor that bypasses this and that.
I didn't want to bother with it and never installed it and everytime I see these "intake chip" to save gas, increase torque, ALL FOR LESS THAN $10 WITHOUT AFFECTING WARRANTY, I just run the other way.

I think people are getting a little tricky and started to put these resistors in a box to look sophisicated.

I'll see if I can scan the instructions if I still have it.

Well you can try it if you like. At least he's not charging $10-$40 like back then with a $5 shipping charge where they just .37c stamp..........but I wouldn't waste my $

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-02-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-02-06, 01:34 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Silver lady,

I see that you become the forum moderator. Congratulation is in order.
Thanks, G Man!
Old 05-02-06, 03:51 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Thanks.....I'll Place My Trust in Lexus/Toyota Corporation, not some dude on e-bay!
Old 05-04-06, 10:13 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I've always been told that this stuff is a joke.

CV
Old 05-10-06, 12:51 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sayadil
yeah.. well my car is out of warranty now.. so warranty is not a concern... but i just don't know whether it will do any bad to the engine.
i mean there r lot of after market chips that people put .. which overrides the manufacture systems.. but is not neccessarily bad for the car... for example.. speed breaker overide chip.. which stops the car at 112 mph for nhsta requirement can be overriden..
i just think it mite decrease the fuel efficiency... but then there r lot of things which go between the air pressure to actually improove it.. like tornado for example.. i have tornado installed on my landcruiser and it does save about 50 km on a gas tank.. which is not whole lot but it helps
How does being out of warranty give you any comfort? If this chip ends up messing up your engine, it will cost you dearly.
Old 05-10-06, 06:38 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davidc1
How does being out of warranty give you any comfort? If this chip ends up messing up your engine, it will cost you dearly.
well performane chips are fairly common these days.. my frens have used them in civics to infinity to porsches ... i was just not really sure about this particular one for gx...wanted to know if someone had any idea... with regards to being outta warranty... it doesn't give me any comfort.. just wanted to mention i'm not under warranty anyway so its irrelevant.. .. by the way adding a simple thing like starter or performace exhaust can void ur warranty to some extent and if not used the rite one can burn ur starter/ruin ur emission system.... its all about using the rite performace parts..
Old 05-10-06, 07:51 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Keep your $20 and avoid spending for a new engine once yours overheats.... Performance chips that you are talking about are modified ECUs with different fuel curve and timings... they cost above $300 and usually involve sending your ECU for reprogramming... furthermore, there are few mods to Lexus chips. The most efficient chip mods apply to Turbocharged vehicles and also involve decreseasing the diamter of vacuum hoses that effectively tells the ECU that boost pressure is less then what it really is... look for Wolf chips ,etc... not this crap.

thanks

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this??