GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The GX470 needs to be Revamped

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 02:45 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
You are correct, but this is a sacrifice IMHO that is worth it.

I saw a GS450h the other day with the 18" rims with summer tires and it looked incredible with those nice large rims, low profile tires and fat width tires. This vehicle probably wouldn't have handled or looked as good if it had 16-17" rims.

Guys we loose the better ride coz we have to keep the Overall diameter at or around 30.4 which results in less side wall... but company can easily reprogramme the car to work with a different (read as bigger) diameter. You can always go 18-20 in gx and put more rubber coz gx has space for a bigger OD... so if lexus decides to put a diff rim size they can even increase the overall diameter then you would not loose the original.. it can even increase the comfort at the cost of prolly fuel efficiency.. but with fuel prices goin up like this.. i highly doubt that its gonna happen.
If we do it ourselves.. we just risk wrong speedometer reading coz the car system is programmed to 30.4 wheel. as for navigation it can be calibrated to a new tire size.
Old 05-14-06, 09:11 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

What is also very interesting is that a lot of people still do not like the swing out door (next gen should have a power liftgate), however the rear of the GX is probably one of its best looking angles. It's different and looks very nice, even if it seems tall.

I still can't believe (as I said earlier), the chrome exhaust tip is not standard on the GX. For a $50K+ vehicle it should be standard. Those GX's without the chrome exhaust tip look unfinished when looking at it from behind.
Old 05-14-06, 09:15 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rklages
They used all the money it would take to make a really great vehicle paying all their pensions and delphi issues, problems Toyota doesnt have to pay for (although Delphi was their number 1 supplier last year). Dollar for dollar they just cannot compete, they need to build the vehicle cheaper to make money, so competing is nearly impossible for someone like GM! I would rather spend my money domestically and tried with an 04 Tahoe, but it was a waste of money and I can't just throw my money away, so I went back to Lexus - I looked at the new Tahoe, but with no incentives and wanting over 50K for a new loaded LTZ, it isn't worth the money. I might be a really nice vehicle, but it needs to cost 35-40k to be a resonable deal!
The loaded Tahoes are pricey and come with every amenity you want, from the power folding 2nd row seats, to the power liftgate as well the Bose System and NAV. They are hot selling now, so if you wait sometime hopefully there will be more incentives and larger discounts. You should still get a better discount as compared to buying a Lexus.

I see also that the new GMC Yukon Denali is about the same price as a loaded Tahoe. The Yukon Denali is like the lower cost Escalade. This maybe another good choice at this time.
Old 05-14-06, 02:11 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=

I still can't believe (as I said earlier), the chrome exhaust tip is not standard on the GX. For a $50K+ vehicle it should be standard. Those GX's without the chrome exhaust tip look unfinished when looking at it from behind.[/QUOTE]

I like that the GX doesn't come standard with the stainless tip on the end of the exhaust. That just makes it more obvious that the GX only has single exhaust when most of the competition (M-B, RR, Porsche, Acura? if the MDX is considered luxury, etc.) have dual exhaust.
Old 05-14-06, 11:10 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I like that the GX doesn't come standard with the stainless tip on the end of the exhaust. That just makes it more obvious that the GX only has single exhaust when most of the competition (M-B, RR, Porsche, Acura? if the MDX is considered luxury, etc.) have dual exhaust.
guys can someone explains what are the benifits of dual exhausts compared to one apart from the fact that they look awesome.
Old 05-15-06, 10:49 AM
rklages
Pole Position

pretty much it - looks cooler - if it is just a cat back system, then no reall benefit (maybe a slight amount less backpressure which could add maybe 1 hp, but if the pipe isn't bigger all the way from the front it really won't do anything except look better (and maybe sound better with the aftermarket muffler, although I think I like that it is quiet!
Old 05-18-06, 05:15 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Rims make the car, get me an aggressive 18" rim (like the new 4 Runner Limited) and this will hold me off for some time about complaining about this revamp. I also think the 4Runner's interior is more updated than the GX.
Old 05-18-06, 07:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The GX needs to be more of a Range Rover Competitor and a Supercharged version would be sweet.

GM's Large SUV are nice but I prefer to admire from afar, they have way to many problems and to many repairs to even consider paying anything even close to high 40's plus for them, and the Tahoe has a weak engine and crappy gas mileage not to mention brand new vehicles that drive like they have 200k on the clock, crappy
Old 05-18-06, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Well the Tahoe does look nice, and I am glad they caught up to technology offered 5 years ago. And how about owning it for 5 years, when it rattles and falls apart on you and nothing works.

No thanks.

Yes, the GX needs refreshning and it will come. Lexus for too long concentrated on its SUVs and finally we get some great new sedans. I am sure the next GX will be very competative and for one should become the GX 570.

As for stock wheels, I mean, they are stock, why complain. If its that much of an issue, get aftermarket wheels.

the GX has sold very well for Lexus even with new competiton and gas going up and up
Old 05-18-06, 10:34 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the Tahoe does look nice, and I am glad they caught up to technology offered 5 years ago. And how about owning it for 5 years, when it rattles and falls apart on you and nothing works.

No thanks.

Yes, the GX needs refreshning and it will come. Lexus for too long concentrated on its SUVs and finally we get some great new sedans. I am sure the next GX will be very competative and for one should become the GX 570.

As for stock wheels, I mean, they are stock, why complain. If its that much of an issue, get aftermarket wheels.

the GX has sold very well for Lexus even with new competiton and gas going up and up
I agree with ISicklex 100%... GM r way behind lex in terms of engine refinement or basically total reliabity.. Guys don't forget that LEXUS was rated number 1 according to JD Power for Customer satisfaction and our GX even though filled with lot of problems (for a lexus) is voted number 1 in luxury SUV for resale value... i can't see myself buying a gm or ford .. ever.. even if cars look as good as the new esclade or better.
Old 05-19-06, 12:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

No thanks.

Isn't Chevy's slogan they are the most dependable and reliable trucks built? I have heard good things about Chevy's reliability. The Tahoe is appealing to me if I want to lug people around or have multiple children which a full size SUV can better accomodate to. The revamp also looks nice and the power is very decent and the fuel economy is on par with our GXs.
Old 05-19-06, 01:46 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Isn't Chevy's slogan they are the most dependable and reliable trucks built? I have heard good things about Chevy's reliability. The Tahoe is appealing to me if I want to lug people around or have multiple children which a full size SUV can better accomodate to. The revamp also looks nice and the power is very decent and the fuel economy is on par with our GXs.
u know there's one thing.. i mean GX is a 2002 design...the new tahoe is a 2006 design.. its kinda unfair to compare it to a GX at this time.. however i understand lot of people have been impressed by tahoe as well as the new esclade but these r very new designs compare to our gx... if you compare it to the next Lexus SUV (i think it will be the JX) it will not be as good... its like comparing our gx to then Tahoe... lexus with its new design theme... will prolly surprise lot of us. another thing.. chevy might be reliable but i still don't think it comes close to lexus. Toyotas r toyotas. but its just my opinion...
Old 05-19-06, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Personnally, I would never buy any 1st year model from chevy.
Old 05-19-06, 05:53 AM
flyfishman
Driver

I would never buy any model year Chevy.
Old 05-19-06, 06:04 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sayadil
guys can someone explains what are the benifits of dual exhausts compared to one apart from the fact that they look awesome.
I believe that they add horsepower...

CV

Quick Reply: The GX470 needs to be Revamped