GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The GX470 needs to be Revamped

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Isn't Chevy's slogan they are the most dependable and reliable trucks built? I have heard good things about Chevy's reliability. The Tahoe is appealing to me if I want to lug people around or have multiple children which a full size SUV can better accomodate to. The revamp also looks nice and the power is very decent and the fuel economy is on par with our GXs.
I cannot deny the Tahoe/Yukon/Denali/Escalade appeal, all look good, the new interiors are 10 steps up than before and the powertrains are excellent. As you stated, there is tons of room.

However, ALL cars are pretty great when new. After a couple years, I am positive the truck just won't satisfy, it will FEEL OLDER than it is.

This is a company that just cuts suppliers at the throats. Something will and has to give.
Old 05-19-06, 07:42 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sayadil
u know there's one thing.. i mean GX is a 2002 design...the new tahoe is a 2006 design.. its kinda unfair to compare it to a GX at this time.. however i understand lot of people have been impressed by tahoe as well as the new esclade but these r very new designs compare to our gx... if you compare it to the next Lexus SUV (i think it will be the JX) it will not be as good... its like comparing our gx to then Tahoe... lexus with its new design theme... will prolly surprise lot of us. another thing.. chevy might be reliable but i still don't think it comes close to lexus. Toyotas r toyotas. but its just my opinion...
This is exactly why I brought up this topic in the first place, the GX needs to revamped / updated to catch up with the times and the competition. The real comparison should be a Escalade to a LX based on the full SUV size, however the LX is just priced absurdly high and is also an outdated design at this time too. The Tahoe and GX can be comparable based on price, but a Tahoe is still thousands cheaper.
Old 05-19-06, 07:50 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flyfishman
I would never buy any model year Chevy.
What is your reason for this? Just Chevy or all vehicles not Lexux?

For a full size SUV with real 3rd row seating space, what would you buy?
Old 05-19-06, 08:55 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

i would personally wait for new LX (JX) then buy a tahoe now... i have few frens who've bought GM products around the same time as i did... few have esclades and one of my best frens bought Gm envoy which he thought looked comparable to Gx with almost half the price... today after 3 yrs.. there trucks look old.. as in design wise.. way outdated then even gx.. they r unhappy.. and already looking to buy new cars... i mean that tells u in 3 yr of ownership they r kinda fed up about thier cars... and i swear.. i'm not just saying.. but after few modded upgrades like wheels.. n stuff.. even now when they see my car they admire it and always compliment.. infact when we decide to go for a long drive to like niagra falls..parties.. they always prefer going in my car... so that explains lot of things.. and i mean look at this car.. it can surelly use some upgrades but i still don't think its still outdated.
Attached Thumbnails The GX470 needs to be Revamped-lex-front-taken-by-noorya.jpg  
Old 05-19-06, 01:01 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I
This is a company that just cuts suppliers at the throats. Something will and has to give.
Amen. As a supplier to the automotive industry (including GM and Toyota/Lexus among others), I can vouch that the big three have forced so many cost reductions on their suppliers that the end result is decreased long-term quality/reliability.

You may pay more for a comparable Lexus or Toyota but at the end of the day - or several years -the return is greater.

Last edited by Gromulus; 05-19-06 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 04:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I can't believe that GM is still using that same cheap black plastic stalk on the steering column for the gear selector on their redesigned SUV's. Even on the brand new $60,000 Escalade. What about a center console shifter?
That's because they spend like $2B/year on advertising, pension/benefit liabiltiies (mentioned previously), and huge salaries to execs (top execs in Japan make like 5x an engineer's salary, not 500x like here). They'd be better off spending the extra money on improving quality and interior fit & finish. But then, they'd cost the same as Toyota, and you know who's gonna win more sales for the same price.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 05-19-06 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 07:06 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL You are here to try to talk us into buying a GM vehicle??? LMAO The GX needs to go backwards about 2 generations and leave out half the bolts and screws in order to be comparable to a GM. There's more to a vehicle than what features and benefits it has ON PAPER. I've driven the GM offerings. NO THANKS!!!! Not at any price.

This is exactly why I brought up this topic in the first place, the GX needs to revamped / updated to catch up with the times and the competition. The real comparison should be a Escalade to a LX based on the full SUV size, however the LX is just priced absurdly high and is also an outdated design at this time too. The Tahoe and GX can be comparable based on price, but a Tahoe is still thousands cheaper.
Old 05-30-06, 06:02 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

I've always had GM products prior the buying the Lexus. I hated the GX after I first got it. So much so that I tried to take it back. I traded an Escalade for it. This GX has had just as many issues as the Escalade did. I have the clunk, a sunroof rattle, a buzzing speaker and a very annoying hesitation when it is in 5th gear and needs to shift to 3rd to get going again. I currently have an H2 and had a similar clunk that they fixed but that is all. My expectations were very high when I bought the Lexus and now I realize that it is just another car. I see no difference between this car and the GM products I owned and own except for interior fit and finish. GM has made big strides in this department with thier current SUV's but it still is not Lexus quality in my opinion. I was going to trade the GX for a new Escalade but the interior is just not there yet. The styling is a little over the top also. Now I never keep a car past 40,000 miles so that is where my experiance stops. I don't sell them because of quality problems, I just like new cars.

GM has improved (Cadillac is a great example) and should only get better.
Old 05-30-06, 08:21 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89vette
I've always had GM products prior the buying the Lexus. I hated the GX after I first got it. So much so that I tried to take it back. I traded an Escalade for it. This GX has had just as many issues as the Escalade did. I have the clunk, a sunroof rattle, a buzzing speaker and a very annoying hesitation when it is in 5th gear and needs to shift to 3rd to get going again. I currently have an H2 and had a similar clunk that they fixed but that is all. My expectations were very high when I bought the Lexus and now I realize that it is just another car. I see no difference between this car and the GM products I owned and own except for interior fit and finish. GM has made big strides in this department with thier current SUV's but it still is not Lexus quality in my opinion. I was going to trade the GX for a new Escalade but the interior is just not there yet. The styling is a little over the top also. Now I never keep a car past 40,000 miles so that is where my experiance stops. I don't sell them because of quality problems, I just like new cars.

But how could anyone pay 60-70K for the new Escalade and think it means luxury with that cheap bean counter column mounted shift handle. That's ridiculous. For that kind of wheat, it should have a console mounted shifter.
Old 05-30-06, 08:27 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
i would personally wait for new LX (JX) then buy a tahoe now... i have few frens who've bought GM products around the same time as i did... few have esclades and one of my best frens bought Gm envoy which he thought looked comparable to Gx with almost half the price... today after 3 yrs.. there trucks look old.. as in design wise.. way outdated then even gx.. they r unhappy.. and already looking to buy new cars... i mean that tells u in 3 yr of ownership they r kinda fed up about thier cars... and i swear.. i'm not just saying.. but after few modded upgrades like wheels.. n stuff.. even now when they see my car they admire it and always compliment.. infact when we decide to go for a long drive to like niagra falls..parties.. they always prefer going in my car... so that explains lot of things.. and i mean look at this car.. it can surelly use some upgrades but i still don't think its still outdated.
I agree that the previous generation Tahoes, Yukon, Escalades with the small rims definitely look outdated now. Lexus has a little more staying power. However the new Tahoes/Yukons & Escalades are a great revamp that is a much better deal than any revamped LX. The LX is a great vehicle, however have you seen the price tag for this premium full size SUV? $70K+? The GM vehicles with incentives are a much better deal overall. The selection of Japanese and German full size SUVs are limited and overpriced.
Old 05-30-06, 08:29 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
But how could anyone pay 60-70K for the new Escalade and think it means luxury with that cheap bean counter column mounted shift handle. That's ridiculous. For that kind of wheat, it should have a console mounted shifter.
I agree that the Escalade is pricey and want to believe with incentives you can get it a more reasonable price, but you are also getting a 400+HP 8 Cylinder engine that is tough to deny and compare to a Lexus LX470 270+HP 7 Cylinder that costs as much as an Escalade. You get more bang for your buck for the Escalade. I can live with the shifter.
Old 05-30-06, 08:33 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 89vette

I do not own a GM vehicle at this time, however everyone I talk to about how good the Chevy Tahoe loaded LTZ , GMC Yukon Denali and Escalade with 22" rims looks from the inside and out, keep trying to scare me with their old GM horror stories and GM'S reliability issues. They have a valid argument, however I thought Chevy made the most dependable trucks? That is their motto. I want to believe that GM has improved and they have, but there is still a lot of apprehension from that that were burned in the past before and being burned once is good enough to drop a brand.
Old 05-30-06, 08:36 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL You are here to try to talk us into buying a GM vehicle??? LMAO The GX needs to go backwards about 2 generations and leave out half the bolts and screws in order to be comparable to a GM. There's more to a vehicle than what features and benefits it has ON PAPER. I've driven the GM offerings. NO THANKS!!!! Not at any price.
The GX is still a mid size SUV, so since I am looking for a full size SUV, what would you go with? Lexus's offerring of the LX470 is another vehicle that has to be revamped and it's also overpriced at $70K+. I do not own a GM vehicle at this time, but would consider it.
Old 05-31-06, 09:06 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose if I wanted a giant SUV, I'd go for the LX470. For me, the LX isn't $70K though. I can't imagine buying a new LX when there are show-room condition, 25K-40K miles '03, '04, and '05 models for 50% to 70% of that price. Here in Florida, it's EASY to find such a vehicle that has been perfectly cared for, detailed regularly, and kept in a garage when the owner wasn't taking it on a weekly trip to church or to the grocery store. Same with LS430s and all sorts of other higher-end cars. Wealthy retired people buy them, never get them dirty on the inside, have them professionally maintained inside and out, and then trade them in when they're still in good-as-new condition. For the life of me, I can't imagine flushing $30K down the toilet just to buy a "new" car with the latest LED tail lights or whatever when it takes an expert to detect the subtle differences between that car and one a couple years older. Perhaps if I had a couple million $ laying un-used I'd see it differently, but I don't, so I don't. But I'm VERY thankful that so many people are willing to bend over and take the reaming of depreciation so I can drive essentially the same car while saving enough money on one vehicle purchase to pay half of my child's college education. Or if I've already done that, I can build a 1300 HP engine for my Supra. But that's jsut me -- I'm sure most people here have money to burn, whereas I don't.
The GX is still a mid size SUV, so since I am looking for a full size SUV, what would you go with? Lexus's offerring of the LX470 is another vehicle that has to be revamped and it's also overpriced at $70K+. I do not own a GM vehicle at this time, but would consider it.
Old 05-31-06, 09:54 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

While we're on the subject, here's my hearsay comparison story.... My next door neighbor back in 2004 had 2 vehicles; a 2004 Escalade and a 2004 LX470 (prior to those, they had an X5 and a 5-series). About 6 months after they bought the LX (they'd owned the Escalade for 3-4 months before getting the LX) I happened to ask their impressions of the two. The husband (principal of a bank and large land development company here) said that the Lexus was "so far ahead" of the Cadillac that it wasn't even funny. I didn't inquire as to what exactly he meant by "so far ahead," but the message was pretty clear since I know the guy to be a no-BS kind of guy. They've since moved to a higher rent part of the island, but I still see him from time to time and he's still driving an LX470.

Then, almost too ironically, the current owners of the house (real estate agent and building contractor) have a MB ML500 (the wife/real estate agent's car) while their son and daughter-in-law have an LX470 that happens to be identical-looking to the previous neighbor's LX mentioned above. I asked the wife the same comparison question and not surprisingly, got a similar, but more explicit answer as to how much superior in every way the LX is. Frankly, I would expect the MB to have better acceleration (which would contradict the "in every way" part, but I doubt that's a factor for this person.

Quick Reply: The GX470 needs to be Revamped