GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The GX470 needs to be Revamped

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 10:48 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I suppose if I wanted a giant SUV, I'd go for the LX470. For me, the LX isn't $70K though. I can't imagine buying a new LX when there are show-room condition, 25K-40K miles '03, '04, and '05 models for 50% to 70% of that price. Here in Florida, it's EASY to find such a vehicle that has been perfectly cared for, detailed regularly, and kept in a garage when the owner wasn't taking it on a weekly trip to church or to the grocery store. Same with LS430s and all sorts of other higher-end cars. Wealthy retired people buy them, never get them dirty on the inside, have them professionally maintained inside and out, and then trade them in when they're still in good-as-new condition. For the life of me, I can't imagine flushing $30K down the toilet just to buy a "new" car with the latest LED tail lights or whatever when it takes an expert to detect the subtle differences between that car and one a couple years older. Perhaps if I had a couple million $ laying un-used I'd see it differently, but I don't, so I don't. But I'm VERY thankful that so many people are willing to bend over and take the reaming of depreciation so I can drive essentially the same car while saving enough money on one vehicle purchase to pay half of my child's college education. Or if I've already done that, I can build a 1300 HP engine for my Supra. But that's jsut me -- I'm sure most people here have money to burn, whereas I don't.
I agree with your statement to a point. When I was shopping for a new Lexus, I knew that I had it down to the GX and LX. Money would not be an issue, but I didn't want to spend too much and not get enough in return. I knew that I wanted a new ride because I was going to pay cash and keep her for a long time. Let me preface this by saying that I loved the LX. It truely was a nice ride. However, I felt the same way about the GX and liked the idea that it was a bit more sporty. And, it was about $15K less with the same engine and just about the same features. I was sold on the GX to save a few bucks and really end up with a sporty ride. JMHO.

CV
Old 05-31-06, 02:13 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the LX too... and contrary to lot of people i honesly do believe its worth the $70k price as well.. (similar to RR) but what goes against it... is the fact its been out for a long time and rite now since the JX is for its release (by 2007 end) it would not make sense to buy it. (no matter even it costs me same price as GX). since the new one is coming soon.
But LX is amazing suv... apart from just the same engine... everything else is quiet different. Its roomier, Has sound suspension and driveline components, Has Air suspension adjustment on the front end as well...foldable rear view mirror... NIGHTVIEW (amazing feature.. its amazing how it projects stuff on to the windshield.. looks pretty hightech and very important for areas like canada where DEERs cause lot of road accidents) different wider wheel base... i mean engine is pretty much the only similarity between the GX n LX...
Infact LX has a commanding Road presense.. if you see one driving on a highway... its looks pretty good
like many other people it was all down to choose between LX n GX... and the reason i chose GX over LX was that LX had been out too long and i knew something will replace it soon.. as for GX the next total revamped version will not be out till 2009 (est). Money was never an issue.. coz i truely believe LX was worth the price it was tagged at.. its the fact that its kinda outdated design wise and wouldn't be a good buy whatever the price.
Old 05-31-06, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 89vette
I've always had GM products prior the buying the Lexus. I hated the GX after I first got it. So much so that I tried to take it back. I traded an Escalade for it. This GX has had just as many issues as the Escalade did. I have the clunk, a sunroof rattle, a buzzing speaker and a very annoying hesitation when it is in 5th gear and needs to shift to 3rd to get going again. I currently have an H2 and had a similar clunk that they fixed but that is all. My expectations were very high when I bought the Lexus and now I realize that it is just another car. I see no difference between this car and the GM products I owned and own except for interior fit and finish. GM has made big strides in this department with thier current SUV's but it still is not Lexus quality in my opinion. I was going to trade the GX for a new Escalade but the interior is just not there yet. The styling is a little over the top also. Now I never keep a car past 40,000 miles so that is where my experiance stops. I don't sell them because of quality problems, I just like new cars.

GM has improved (Cadillac is a great example) and should only get better.
Sorry that was your experience. The GX is a two time 4x4 winner of the year. THe Escalade has NEVER won any awards or comparisons.

I think a lot of people expect Lexus to have NO problems, zilch, nothing and when they do, they get upset. Its still a car and it will have problems.

You cannot argue with history, Lexus is NOT just another car. They are the best selling brand in America for the past 6 years and tops in quality 15 out the last 17 years. Its not even up for debate.
Old 05-31-06, 02:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sayadil
Love the LX too... and contrary to lot of people i honesly do believe its worth the $70k price as well.. (similar to RR) but what goes against it... is the fact its been out for a long time and rite now since the JX is for its release (by 2007 end) it would not make sense to buy it. (no matter even it costs me same price as GX). since the new one is coming soon.
But LX is amazing suv... apart from just the same engine... everything else is quiet different. Its roomier, Has sound suspension and driveline components, Has Air suspension adjustment on the front end as well...foldable rear view mirror... NIGHTVIEW (amazing feature.. its amazing how it projects stuff on to the windshield.. looks pretty hightech and very important for areas like canada where DEERs cause lot of road accidents) different wider wheel base... i mean engine is pretty much the only similarity between the GX n LX...
Infact LX has a commanding Road presense.. if you see one driving on a highway... its looks pretty good
like many other people it was all down to choose between LX n GX... and the reason i chose GX over LX was that LX had been out too long and i knew something will replace it soon.. as for GX the next total revamped version will not be out till 2009 (est). Money was never an issue.. coz i truely believe LX was worth the price it was tagged at.. its the fact that its kinda outdated design wise and wouldn't be a good buy whatever the price.
The current LX has been out since 1998! Its almost 10 years old. IN comparison, we have had 3 Escalades in this same timeframe.

So it shows how incredible the LX is, lasting the test of time like that. It also shows it will be lacking in some areas, due to its age.

There is no denying that when you buy a LX or RR, not only is prestige top notch, they are top notch off-road vehicles with the most luxurious interiors of most all SUVs (the new Tourag is pretty good).
Old 06-01-06, 05:32 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
I agree with you about the extra features. I however would have absolutely no use for the front air suspension adjustment (or at least I can't think of any). The night vision thing would be cool to have, but I don't need it. The LX doesn't look like it has that much more room than that of the GX in my opinion. Also, you can't tell if it is a Landcruiser or LX until you see the emblem. The GX is unique and distinguised. Yes the LX needing a makeover was also a concern of mine.

The LX is a very cool ride! I am not bashing it at all. I was just giving you my opinion. I would be happy to own one, but not for an extra 15K.

CV
Old 06-01-06, 07:11 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually I think it might have won 2 awards.
1. The "Whip I'd Trade Muh Gold Teef Fo" Award from Rapper Magazine
2. The "How To Spend The Most Money Fer A Chevrolet" Award from Truckin Magazine

I think that's all it's won.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe Escalade has NEVER won any awards or comparisons.
Old 06-01-06, 08:00 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Actually I think it might have won 2 awards.
1. The "Whip I'd Trade Muh Gold Teef Fo" Award from Rapper Magazine
2. The "How To Spend The Most Money Fer A Chevrolet" Award from Truckin Magazine

I think that's all it's won.
LOL!

CV