GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sirius reception: Anyone notice it worsens in the spring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 07:28 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius reception: Anyone notice it worsens in the spring?

As soon as the trees started to come in I noticed on some heavily wooded back roads and parkways that reception became "iffy" in spots-always where foliage is most dense and where the trees are close to the road. Since the signal supposedly comes in at about 45 degrees or so this doesn't surprise me, but it is disappointing. Kinda thought the signal would have a bit more oomph than to be blocked by trees!
Anyone have any similar experiences/ideas?
Old 06-02-06, 09:54 PM
robtsal
Driver School Candidate

Definitely experiencing the same thing. This is my first experience with satellite radio and frankly I had higher expectations. I love it when it is "receiving", but I get constant "no signal" zones.
Old 06-05-06, 05:07 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWS3
As soon as the trees started to come in I noticed on some heavily wooded back roads and parkways that reception became "iffy" in spots-always where foliage is most dense and where the trees are close to the road. Since the signal supposedly comes in at about 45 degrees or so this doesn't surprise me, but it is disappointing. Kinda thought the signal would have a bit more oomph than to be blocked by trees!
Anyone have any similar experiences/ideas?
I've noticed this on my XM unit as well.

CV
Old 06-05-06, 05:24 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

I've had portable XM in various vehicles since early 2002 and rarely experience any problems. On our regular 5 hour drive to the beach, there is one dead spot when going under a bridge in Alabama. XM works great even in HEAVY thunderstorms. Fine Tuning is my favorite station.

Rick in Atlanta
Old 06-06-06, 04:30 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

I don't think its the spring... its either the reciever or the service... my service reception has been declining steadily... I have the ES kit installed... hmm... I just don't know
Old 06-06-06, 07:22 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I dunno- As soon as the leaves came in on roads next to large trees (m)

Originally Posted by lexbuddy
I don't think its the spring... its either the reciever or the service... my service reception has been declining steadily... I have the ES kit installed... hmm... I just don't know

reception started to change. I am talking about roads right next to continuous large trees on both sides-almost like walls. On the highway or other open areas things are fine. And, the reception drops at pretty much the same spots on a daily basis.
Sirius tells me that the angle of the signal depends on where one is located. Here in NY, its said to be at a 45 degree angle, meaning trees could easily block it as it is apparently "line of sight" only w/o enough power to go through or around obstructions like leaves.
If you lose reception in the same areas and are OK on the open road I doubt you have a problem w/ the receiver.
Old 06-07-06, 03:36 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Yep, the tree leaves get in the way of the satellite - happens every spring - good on the highway, but on the backroads and streets the leaves definitely get in the way. You will notice it on the GPS stuff too for the navigation - it will have issues determining where you when the leaves get really heavy! It is even worse if the leaves are wet or it is really windy moving the leaves around!