GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire Pressure Monitor, What Gives!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Checking your tires manually is fine, but how often do you check it? What happens if you have a slow leak? Are you suppose to check it everyday?
The TPMS help my wife a couple of times. One time she had a slow leak and the other time she had a flat. I use to check my tire pressure once a month but my wife almost never check it. So I am glad her new car have the TPMS. Just remember what happen in all those Ford explorer tire blow out incidents.
Old 06-02-06, 06:31 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Checking your tires manually is fine, but how often do you check it? What happens if you have a slow leak? Are you suppose to check it everyday?
The TPMS help my wife a couple of times. One time she had a slow leak and the other time she had a flat. I use to check my tire pressure once a month but my wife almost never check it. So I am glad her new car have the TPMS. Just remember what happen in all those Ford explorer tire blow out incidents.
I check the pressure in my tires when I wash her. You can tell you have a slow leak just by observance. And, if it is slow, you should be able to tell before it becomes a big problem. If I have a blow out on the highway, I certainly don't need the system to tell me so.

CV
Old 06-02-06, 09:36 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so there is no right and no wrong, but I think might be a little overreacting.

To start, I'm not a big fan of government "help". But I do understand the reasoning, in particular on auto safety and mpg actions. Truly if it weren't for gov laws (CAFE standards for mpg, safety requirements) we wouldn't have antilock brakes, airbags, and the focus on mpg we do have.

A thing to keep in mind is that 99.999999% of the drivers are not like us on the automobile forums/boards. Of course we check our tires (and our oil, and our brake fluid, etc.). We are enthusiasts. But we are not the average car owner.

The TPS is for two reasons. One is overall average mpg improvement (low tires get less mpg). The second is for safety (actually some of the focus and fallout is from the Firestone/Ford fiasco).

So though you (we) don't need it, you would certainly be thanking your Deity if it ever kept a "naive" driver (who doesn't even know what a tire pressure gauge looks like) from losing control on a too quick lane change and crashing into your spouse/children.

Finally like antilock brakes, airbags, etc, as the requirement for more usage goes up the costs go down (due to volume production).

It will not cost you $1500 over 20 years. In a few years more time (Tirerack is almost there now), when you go to NTB or Sam's/Costco to get tires, they will have a selection of replacement sensors to install at the same time. So the same way they charge typically $2.00 for a replacement valve stem today, they will charge $15 or so for a TPS valve stem. You will decide whether to replace it or continue to use the current one.
Old 06-03-06, 12:43 PM
afedelecpd
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Tire Pressure Monitor

Less than a week after purchasing my GX in March 2005, I had the tire pressure indicator light come on as well. I contacted Lexus and they told me that the valve stems are extremely sensitive. It turns out, while my GX was parked in our unheated garage overnight (during winter months), the fluctuating temperatures would cause the sensors to go bonkers. I had my tire pressure checked every time I fueled up and it was normal each time. Nevertheless, the light stayed on through the winter and into the spring. It wasn't until temps. reached the mid-40s until the light finally went out.
Old 06-05-06, 08:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That doesnt sound right, I live in Massachusetts and the winter here gets pretty cold too. I have never has any problem with the TPMS staying on all winter.
Old 09-22-10, 06:56 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Reviving an old thread -

Has anyone recently changed out their TPMS sensors? My 04 GX is among the first to get TPMS (the early 04s didn't have it) so the batteries are between 6 & 7 years old. No problems so far but I'm getting ready to replace the tires and I'm not sure whether to do anything with the sensors or not. When I asked the local Lexus dealer they seemed surprised at the question and gave me no useful info.

What happens if I just let the batteries go dead & do nothing - just the yellow warning dash light will be on all the time?

Even if we pay whatever the cost & get new sensors from Lexus there seems to be no way to tell how old they are - could be they've been on the shelf since 2004 when I bought the car & won't last very long anyway!
Old 09-22-10, 08:26 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob GX
Reviving an old thread -

Even if we pay whatever the cost & get new sensors from Lexus there seems to be no way to tell how old they are - could be they've been on the shelf since 2004 when I bought the car & won't last very long anyway!
I just got my 05. Mine seem fine, but that "magic age" is approaching. I noticed that Costco has a variety of sensors on hand (not sure if they are correct for GX), just as predicted in one the 2006 posts. I'd say avoid Lexus service for them if possible for the obvious reason; cost, and that this feature is now common in many brands, hence more choices. I'll count on replacing the sensors when my tires come due. Keep us informed if you come across any info that is more solid than my two-bits worth.