GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire Pressure Monitor, What Gives!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 07:34 AM
TULedHead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor, What Gives!?

I've had my new GX for a little over a week now, and I just had the tire pressure monitor light come on just below my gas gauge. I have checked the pressure twice now on all 4 wheels and they all are slightly above the recommend PSI level.

Could it be the spare tire that's getting low, or do you think that my tire pressure monitor is going bonkers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting sick of that yellow exclamation point!
Old 05-30-06, 07:47 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the spare tire. Its probably the culprit.
Old 05-30-06, 01:15 PM
W8MM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Check the spare tire. Its probably the culprit.
I Agree.

The spare tire was the problem when the same symptom developed on my GX.

All FIVE tires are monitored by the TPM system.
Old 06-01-06, 06:20 AM
TULedHead
Driver School Candidate

The spare was a bit low on pressure. But after filling it above 320 PSI, I still have the flashing low tire pressure light on. I guess I'm gonna have to call Lexus and have them take a look at it.
Old 06-01-06, 06:31 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone explain to me how this system works. Is it a remote thing imbedded in the valve stem?

CV
Old 06-01-06, 06:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The transmmiiter is located on the valve stem and it runs on a battery that needs to be replace every 5 years.
Old 06-01-06, 08:02 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The transmmiiter is located on the valve stem and it runs on a battery that needs to be replace every 5 years.
Thanks G Man. I noticed that the valve stems looked different than my other rides. I put two and two together. Is the battery that needs to be replaced inside the stem itself? Has anyone ever taken one out to see how easy or hard it is to replace?

This brings up an idea. Maybe one of the batteries in TULeadHead's stem is out and it is the system telling him that it needs changed???

CV
Old 06-01-06, 09:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The battery is inside the transmitter which is attached to the valve stems. You cannot replace these batteries yourself because you need to re-porgram the transmitter after the battery replacement. Last time I heard, it cost a $100 to reaplce one. So 5 years down the line, 5 new batteries will cost $500, just another thing to look forward to.
Old 06-01-06, 10:39 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

The battery is inside the transmitter which is attached to the valve stems. You cannot replace these batteries yourself because you need to re-porgram the transmitter after the battery replacement. Last time I heard, it cost a $100 to reaplce one. So 5 years down the line, 5 new batteries will cost $500, just another thing to look forward to.
Wow! sounds like a rip to me.
CV
Old 06-01-06, 11:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, $100 is to replace the sensor. I am not sure how much it cost to replace the batteries or if you can just replace the battary at all.

Here is a picture of the TPMS:
Attached Thumbnails Tire Pressure Monitor, What Gives!?-toyota-tire-pressure-monitor.gif  
Old 06-01-06, 12:59 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

So if there is no battery, and thus no transmission, does the light come on? Can the whole thing just be disabled?

Amazing how something like air in tires can now be a hassle and a $500 job.
Old 06-01-06, 02:09 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean that every 5 years, each tire needs to be dismounted and then remounted just to change a $2.00 battery??? If so, I'll certainly be getting rid of the GX by 2011. But no doubt a new redesigned GX will be out by then, so I'll just upgrade.

I also don't see where the battery is located in the above diagram. Are you sure those sensors aren't sealed and can only be replaced?
Old 06-01-06, 06:28 PM
loflin
Pole Position

A couple of points, it is US law for cars/light trucks to have Tire Pressure Monitoring, with a phase in (starting in 2004). I think starting with MY 2007 100% have to have it.

There are 2 ways to sense. Actual pressure monitor and sender in each tire, or indirectly by measuring differential tire rotation speeds (with low pressure the tire circumference is reduced) using the ABS sensors already in place. This is less accurate.

Currently all the units are sealed, with no replaceable batteries.

The price for replacements in general should be less than $10 each, but then add labor. The idea is too replace them when you get new tires (assuming your are somewhere around 4+ years). Then the additional labor charge should be minimum (as you get new valves/stems with new tires anyway).

However, the minimum life is supposed to be 5 years, and up to 10 years.
Old 06-01-06, 07:34 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Automatic tire pressure sensing has got to be one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard of. I'm glad my LX doesn't have them...saves me at least $1500, as I plan to keep it 20+ yrs.
Old 06-02-06, 04:55 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

This sounds like a joke! Just disable the damn system and check the tires yourself if it is going to be this much of a problem. I am all for progress, but not at a tremendous cost and a PIA!
CV

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor, What Gives!?