GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Where are your third row seats most of the time?
In the normal sitting position
4.88%
Hanging from the side walls.
40.85%
Sitting in the garage uncovered.
18.90%
Nicely stored in the basement with protection.
33.54%
Sold Them on Ebay!
1.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Where are your 3rd row seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06 | 10:38 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by malhokc
In the GX.. That's the only place where my son loves to sit.
lol...my oldest loves it back there too
Old 06-12-06 | 12:16 PM
Lou19
Rookie

Antennas, hmmmmmmmmmm. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-06 | 11:06 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

My youngest daughter loves that 3rd row seat!
Old 06-14-06 | 07:38 AM
Lou19
Rookie

How many of you know about the third row center head rest hidden in the right rear seat? If not, unzip the back of it, only the right seat has a zipper, and reach in. Hard to imagine the intention was to stuff 3 in the 3rd row. I guess it was made for 2.3 kids.
Old 06-14-06 | 12:46 PM
loflin
Pole Position

And pull the shoulder harness down from the roof and engage in the additonal seat buckle. We've used both, many a time.
Old 06-15-06 | 11:35 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusBob
My youngest daughter loves that 3rd row seat!
We were finally able to convince our 6 year old to sit in the middle (with her younger brother) by giving her some headphones to wear and plugging her into the stereo system... she gets to listen to the kids channel on Sirius, and we listen to CDs up front...
Old 06-16-06 | 12:22 PM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

I want to add a poll response: "I didn't order a third row seat, saved some money and got a tonneau cover to boot!"
Old 06-17-06 | 06:05 AM
Lou19
Rookie

The rear seats are for friends and family to ride along, but maybe to some, the cover and some change are equally important.
Old 06-17-06 | 10:05 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rx900
i could imagine. If i did have them, they'd be an extra obstruction in the garage.
I have been banging my leg getting my bicycle out of the garage each time I squeeze past those things!

The other problem is that once people know you can seat eight, you become the official driver. I thought it would be fun ONCE to have my whole Girl Scout troop (currently 6 high school girls) in car at one time. Prior to my getting the GX at least one other Mom would help pick up the girls for a meeting, and very occasionally even help out.

Big Mistake! Now every parent suddenly needs to be somewhere else, and I go pick them up by myself - and have to chase them down around the school which is even worse. Several times I have taken the seats out, only to have to go through the mess of putting them back in again.
Old 06-18-06 | 12:25 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Silverlady, curious, why do you even bother to take them out (and bang your legs!)?. We leave them up and stowed all the time, until we need them. You don't really lose much space.
Old 06-18-06 | 02:14 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Silverlady, curious, why do you even bother to take them out (and bang your legs!)?. We leave them up and stowed all the time, until we need them. You don't really lose much space.
If I knew I was going to need them that soon, I wouldn't have taken them out.

I find the hanging seats very kludgy and annoying. It is not the kind of feel of driving feel I bought this vehicle for. They rattle no matter how much I tighten them, block my view, and take up room. Also, I don't find it is all that easy to lift them up and down - the whole design is an afterthought kludge -not what any engineer would call "elegant".

My usual alternate position is if they are in the vehicle is to leave them folded down. This way they are quick to put up or down and I can put some light packages on their backs. The backs are relatively delicate, though, so I have to be careful.
Old 06-19-06 | 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Doesnt matter if the 3rd row seats are in the stowed position, the 2nd row head rest blocks your view anyways.
Old 06-26-06 | 05:16 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Doesnt matter if the 3rd row seats are in the stowed position, the 2nd row head rest blocks your view anyways.
Yeah but the width of the view increases if the 3rd row seats aren't on the sidewall.
CV
Old 06-28-06 | 01:27 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lou19
How many of you know about the third row center head rest hidden in the right rear seat? If not, unzip the back of it, only the right seat has a zipper, and reach in. Hard to imagine the intention was to stuff 3 in the 3rd row. I guess it was made for 2.3 kids.
I knew about that but couldn't find the seatbelt for that seat until I looked "UP".... It's in the ceiling.
Old 07-07-06 | 12:52 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady

The other problem is that once people know you can seat eight, you become the official driver.

Well maybe it depends on how big those people are. If they're just small kids, that are short, then yes you are the official driver. People usually know (and me too) that if someone says they can seat 8 people in their SUV, usually it's very cramped (i'm not that tall, only 5'11" ) in the third row.

The current Sienna's third row is somewhat very small. I had to drop off the 4Runner yesterday, and this time I had to sit in the third row, my legs could barely move back there, especially if there's two other big guys sitting next to you.

Quick Reply: Where are your 3rd row seats?