GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: How many of you have a navigation system
Yes-I have a navigation system
75.85%
Yes-I have a navigation system but don't use too often
12.08%
Yes-I have a navigation system but dont use it
1.45%
No, I don't have a navigation system
10.63%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Poll-Navigation or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 05:38 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacksonian
So for me, it's indispensable. And I'm sure some of the portables like the TomTom Go are great and maybe better than the Lexus, but I just hate having things added on like that (like my XM Roady2--thank God Lexus is finally getting XM!).
jacksonian, you are aware that your dealer can add XM to your NAV unit so you dont' have a roady 2 laying around? it cost me about $600, but it was well worth it.

CV
Old 06-15-06, 02:35 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I didn't know that, I'll check it out. I'm hoping for XM and iPod integration on upcoming models.
Old 06-16-06, 06:46 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

I have a Gramin Streetpilot - it is pretty good but the GX Nav is much better in terms of directions...and the backup camera is a must...(of course so is the ML...) ....in the NAV the algorithms for directions seems much better vs the Garmin........besides I am not sure if the car looks complete without it.....

The CD changer in the glove compartment is really bad however.....so there is downside.....
Old 06-20-06, 06:41 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Lightbulb Nav is an awesome option ....

I live in a fairly large metropolis. Navigation has saved the situation soooo many times when a last minute change in direction is needed (pick a new restaurant in the area your NOW in). Also, as silly as it sounds, going to somewhere very unfamiliar and than returning back ( i.e. the suburban street labyrinth which is typical of hillside communities) is a breeze. I thought they only put the CD changer in the glovebox if you had the RSES DVD system. But, I could be wrong on that. I guess standardizing the CD in the glovebox is easier than two different configs. I have used the Garmin 530 series, and I favor the Lexus. The larger touchscreen on the Lexus is much nicer (the Garmin has a smaller touchscreen). And it does take a bit longer to reroute once you have deviated with the Garmin. I do like the ETA and distance feature of the Lexus (Garmin uses some funky calculation for ETA that seems inaccurate). But, I am overall less than ethusiastic about the Lexus Nav considering the Acura RL has a MUCH nicer Nav than what Lexus uses. The Lexus is quite abysmal in that comparison. ... oh, well. I hope to give Tom Tom a tryout in the near future.

One Plus for the Garmin ..... MORE VOICE SELECTIONS. Kind of cool to have something like an Australian, German or British accent to the voice. But, the voice is a bit "digitized" in sound quality. But, after a bit, you become accustomed to the odd nature of it. It is a very COOL feature though .....

Last edited by ADVocate; 06-20-06 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Another comment ...
Old 06-21-06, 07:39 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

ADV-
The CD changer is definitely in the glove box without the RSES system. If and when the 07GX has Gen5 navigation that will do away with that annoyance.

One thing the Lexus nav is good at is updating direction on the fly. Whenever I miss a turn (either unintentionally or because I know that is not the best way to go), it automatically picks up from there right away.

The restaurant selection is a mystery. Many times it will show every pizza place, but totally leave out long established, larger restaurants.
Old 06-21-06, 09:24 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
ADV-
The CD changer is definitely in the glove box without the RSES system. If and when the 07GX has Gen5 navigation that will do away with that annoyance.

One thing the Lexus nav is good at is updating direction on the fly. Whenever I miss a turn (either unintentionally or because I know that is not the best way to go), it automatically picks up from there right away.

The restaurant selection is a mystery. Many times it will show every pizza place, but totally leave out long established, larger restaurants.
I agree...I was with my wife and she wanted ice cream at Grater's. I knew there was one really close but hadn't been in the area for a while. Punched it in and it brought up all the Grater's Ice Cream places within 20 miles, but not mine.

CV
Old 06-21-06, 10:40 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Definetly not without issues .....

Originally Posted by SilverLady
ADV-

I agree with you, in the database on the Lexus Nav is less than stellar. But, it is better than the Garmin (which was my point of reference). I have come across a number of situations where I know something exists, and does not appear on the list as a POI. Only to find it is in there under a different spelling, or different city designation. Sometimes it is a to contrained on its' search criteria. The thought that Lexus retains their contract with that Nav system is a mystery. There are much better Navs out there ( I site the Acura system as better, which it is .... is it Pioneer??). It is unortunate that Lexus uses what they do.
Old 06-21-06, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe Acura use the Alpine nav system.
Old 06-21-06, 10:18 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default guys

don't know whats the big deal with cd changer being in the glove box..? i find it neat since ur passenger can quickly change CD's while ur driving rite from the front seat..
As far as taking space in the glove is concerned.. what r u guys planing to put there anyway... i have tons of stuff which goes there and i don't feel extra need for more space... we also have the center console as well.
I have driven lot of other suvs.. and there navigation systems specially the non touchscreen Joystick kinda suck.. i mean how the hell do they expect someone to play around with them... it takes so much time to input stuff... LIke X5 for example.. BMW argues that u will get use to it... as if .. you really have to.
I have driven cars (toyota's) without it and now since i have been drivin NAV equipped... i think its worth every penny... sure it could be more appealing GUI wise.. but then its getting there... u should check out GEN 5 in the new LS's .. its pretty good. and come on you can't compare a handheld NAV to this one.... bigger screen makes lot of diff... clear factory integrated voice command which not only changes nav but audio inputs... there's lot to it..

again just my opinion...
Old 06-22-06, 06:25 AM
jdh62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loflin
Just to show another opinion. I currently have two Navs, one in the GX (touchscreen) and on in my Mercedes (not touchscreen).

The MB is horrible, to use, to view, to access, etc. Not all of it it touchscreen vs non-touchscreen, a lot of it has to do with how the designer laid out the functions and the menus, etc. But I'll take the touchscreen over non-touch any day. Plus with more of the "buttons" on the screen, instead of outside of it, it allows either the screen to be bigger, or the overall Nav to take up less space on the console.
I have both nav in my E320 and wife's GX-470, and I have the opposite opinion about them. While the Mercedes nav is not all that great, not being able to use the Nav while in motion on the Lexus is much more annoying to me. Yes, I know it can be overridden, but you have to do that everytime you start the car! It also baffles me that upcoming side streets are not displayed on the Lexus nav. Side streets are displayed at certain zoom resolutions, but even then not all side streets are displayed. IMHO, the Mercedes nav also seems to be quicker in rerouting directions when you deviate from its direction.
Old 06-22-06, 12:01 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdh62
I have both nav in my E320 and wife's GX-470, and I have the opposite opinion about them. While the Mercedes nav is not all that great, not being able to use the Nav while in motion on the Lexus is much more annoying to me. Yes, I know it can be overridden, but you have to do that everytime you start the car! It also baffles me that upcoming side streets are not displayed on the Lexus nav. Side streets are displayed at certain zoom resolutions, but even then not all side streets are displayed. IMHO, the Mercedes nav also seems to be quicker in rerouting directions when you deviate from its direction.

Perhaps your's is different (and better) in your E320 then what I have in my SLK55.

You can not even find most POIs, that would interest me. You can not input a single Retail Store (like Best Buy or Pep Boys, etc.) only "shopping centers". You can not input Post Offices, or Movie Theaters, etc.

Additionally, there is almost no "trip" information presented on the screen, you have to hit two buttons every time you want to see distance to finish and time.

I could go on and on. I'm very disappointed in the MB Nav. I've used Nav's and GPS for 10+ years. The Nav in my '05 MB is light years BEHIND the Gen 3 Nav I had in my 2001 Lex SC.
Old 06-23-06, 08:59 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

It also baffles me that upcoming side streets are not displayed on the Lexus nav. Side streets are displayed at certain zoom resolutions, but even then not all side streets are displayed.
That one has caused me to miss a number of turns! If I know generally how to get somewhere, I don't bother to program and just use the Nav to watch for upcoming turns. Many side streets don't show up - even at the closest zoom. When I turn onto the street it tells me the name, but many times that is on the flipside after I make a U-turn in some weird spot.
Old 06-28-06, 01:06 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend just got a new 2006 Honda Goldwing motorcycle which has a factory installed GPS navigation system in the dash. Looks great but he said the thing is is still missing a lot and is very similar to the unit in his 06 Acura TL. So it sounds like no matter who makes the GPS system, they all could use improvement. But I know there will never be a perfect system.
Old 06-28-06, 01:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loflin
Perhaps your's is different (and better) in your E320 then what I have in my SLK55.

You can not even find most POIs, that would interest me. You can not input a single Retail Store (like Best Buy or Pep Boys, etc.) only "shopping centers". You can not input Post Offices, or Movie Theaters, etc.

Additionally, there is almost no "trip" information presented on the screen, you have to hit two buttons every time you want to see distance to finish and time.

I could go on and on. I'm very disappointed in the MB Nav. I've used Nav's and GPS for 10+ years. The Nav in my '05 MB is light years BEHIND the Gen 3 Nav I had in my 2001 Lex SC.
Man! Those little SLK55's are QUICK for a brand new $65K car!
I use to have a CLK55 and have heard that the MB navi is not very usefull. My Acura TL allows all of those searches and is intuitive. Most of those can be done in the Lexus but they aren't nearly as intuitive and often take a while to figure out exactly what you have to do on the system to "get to them".
Old 06-29-06, 10:11 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bunka
Man! Those little SLK55's are QUICK for a brand new $65K car!
I use to have a CLK55 and have heard that the MB navi is not very usefull. My Acura TL allows all of those searches and is intuitive. Most of those can be done in the Lexus but they aren't nearly as intuitive and often take a while to figure out exactly what you have to do on the system to "get to them".
Yes the SLK55 is a lot of fun, I came from a Lex SC430 (though stayed in the Lex family with the GX).

But MB just isn't up to Lexus on quality and ease of use (user interface), or dealerships/service. IMHO.

Wish I could get a car with German performance and handling and Japanese quality/design.

Quick Reply: Poll-Navigation or not