GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is Lexus dropping Sirius? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 07:23 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I think the subscriber numbers are skewed since XM has been around longer. If you look at overall subscribers/equipment and talent, XM wins hands down.
CV
No, it tells us the opposite. The only reason XM has more subscribers is because it has a two year head start and has the GM contract due to GM's ownership of a big part of XM. But despite that the trend is more people for the last 9 months are purchasing Sirius due preference .

content wise you can talk about how XM is better all you want. All I'm saying is appears the majority for the last three quarters has choosen Sirius for one reason or another. Maybe the fourth quarter will be kinder to XM, who knows. But every estimate XM has predicted in the last year has overshot the actual numbers. XM continues to blame it on "soft retail sales" but if that's the case why is Sirius surpassing expectations?
Old 07-11-06, 06:22 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The program offering is much better than Sirrus. I take it you have never listened to Opie and Anthony?

CV
I prefer Sirius because it offers the NFL and coming next year NASCAR. The reception thing people talk about is bogus. Toyota will sign an exclusive deal with whomever gives them the cheapest radios. Toyota doesn't know jack about which one is of better quality. They only see the bottom line.

Oh, and I've heard of the Opie and Anthony gig. Their XM show was tanking so bad, they had to go back to regular radio to get listeners. LOL.
Old 07-11-06, 07:37 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the subscriber numbers are skewed since XM has been around longer. If you look at overall subscribers/equipment and talent, XM wins hands down.
CV
Lexus is NOT dropping Sirius.

I WILL close this thread if misinformation continues to be spewed all over the place, and it sure is in this case. I have spent years on here trying to control the spread of misinformation on this topic on CL. Just look at some of my posts if you don't believe me. Please keep the derogatory comments, one way or the other, to facts, not hearsay.

Toyota has a deal with XM for factory installs, but will continue to offer the Sirius kit. If you look at my sticky post in the Audio forum, it is explained why Sirius reception in Toyotas suffers due to the antenna they chose, and what to do about it. Sirius tried to convince Toyota NOT to use the internal antenna, but they were too afraid of the cosmetic issues with the external ones.
As far as XM vs Sirius goes, Sirius has been signing new subscribers vs XM at a rate of 3 to 2. BOTH services are EXCELLENT compared to FM radio, in both reception/signal/audio quality, and content, which is why the debate should not get too heated. XM is simply NOT a much better product, as stated. The services are very close in both content, hardware, and reception.

The future outlook seems to indicate that most headunits and nav units will be equipped for both, and you will get to decide which you want to activate. Provided that both services continue to be viable. So most arguments of which one each car manufacturer picked are fortunately short-lived and temporary.

Which service you prefer is simply a matter of opinion, like vanilla & chocolate.

Jerry
Old 07-12-06, 05:18 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the exclusive nonsense I was very suspicious about. I think that's where the thread started to peddle non related information to support a nonsensical theory.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 07-12-06, 05:25 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engin_ear

I WILL close this thread if misinformation continues to be spewed all over the place, and it sure is in this case. I have spent years on here trying to control the spread of misinformation on this topic on CL. Just look at some of my posts if you don't believe me. Please keep the derogatory comments, one way or the other, to facts, not hearsay.

Toyota has a deal with XM for factory installs, but will continue to offer the Sirius kit. If you look at my sticky post in the Audio forum, it is explained why Sirius reception in Toyotas suffers due to the antenna they chose, and what to do about it. Sirius tried to convince Toyota NOT to use the internal antenna, but they were too afraid of the cosmetic issues with the external ones.
As far as XM vs Sirius goes, Sirius has been signing new subscribers vs XM at a rate of 3 to 2. BOTH services are EXCELLENT compared to FM radio, in both reception/signal/audio quality, and content, which is why the debate should not get too heated. XM is simply NOT a much better product, as stated. The services are very close in both content, hardware, and reception.

The future outlook seems to indicate that most headunits and nav units will be equipped for both, and you will get to decide which you want to activate. Provided that both services continue to be viable. So most arguments of which one each car manufacturer picked are fortunately short-lived and temporary.

Which service you prefer is simply a matter of opinion, like vanilla & chocolate.

Jerry
Why did you quote me and give such a response? I was talking about overall subscribers to XM vs. Sirus. I wasn't the one that started the, "misinformation." I was just giving my opinion on XM vs. Sirus.

CV
Old 07-12-06, 05:28 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota has a deal with XM for factory installs, but will continue to offer the Sirius kit. If you look at my sticky post in the Audio forum, it is explained why Sirius reception in Toyotas suffers due to
Jerry
Jerry,

I didn't notice the conversation about manufacture offerings in the Audio Forum. I saw the sticky about install advice. Can you post a link?

Thanks
Old 07-12-06, 01:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why did you quote me and give such a response? I was talking about overall subscribers to XM vs. Sirus. I wasn't the one that started the, "misinformation." I was just giving my opinion on XM vs. Sirus.

CV
Because some of your posts have opinion-type information that many people will NOT recognize as opinion. It looks like facts, or conclusions based on facts. Because satellite service is so new, this presents a problem, because rumors start quickly. Like I said, if you are going to hammer one service or the other, bring facts, even if they are facts about YOUR experience(s) with them, but please refrain from drawing general conclusions from a limited amount of publically available information. It is extremely easy to draw incorrect conclusions at this point from news reports and press releases, since things change rapidly, and most of these only apply to one fiscal quarter.
Most people that have come on CL here have only had experience with Xm or Sirius, and not both. They've heard about the other service from friends, and thus cannot make a real subjective comparison. The same thing happens when people come on here and tell us how sucky Lexuses are. Hey, if they have facts, fine. But most just spew BS. The mods have no tolerance for that.
Old 07-13-06, 04:48 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Because some of your posts have opinion-type information that many people will NOT recognize as opinion. It looks like facts, or conclusions based on facts. Because satellite service is so new, this presents a problem, because rumors start quickly. Like I said, if you are going to hammer one service or the other, bring facts, even if they are facts about YOUR experience(s) with them, but please refrain from drawing general conclusions from a limited amount of publically available information. It is extremely easy to draw incorrect conclusions at this point from news reports and press releases, since things change rapidly, and most of these only apply to one fiscal quarter.
Most people that have come on CL here have only had experience with Xm or Sirius, and not both. They've heard about the other service from friends, and thus cannot make a real subjective comparison. The same thing happens when people come on here and tell us how sucky Lexuses are. Hey, if they have facts, fine. But most just spew BS. The mods have no tolerance for that.
Sorry, but I disagree with you and think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Anyway, to anyone on this board who thinks that all of my statements are factual, sorry. However, when I was quoted on here by this mod, it was a FACT. XM has more subscribers than Sirius. And, based on my OPINION XM is a far better product because of what they have to offer. For some reason, my OPINION was singled out as me being the bad guy. If anyone feels personally insulted or misled because of my opinions, I will personally appologize. Geeeeez

And, based on your avatar, I can see why I am being singled out...thanks for being fair

CV
Old 07-26-06, 08:06 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed both OEM XM and Sirius tuners,although only Sirius for GX470's.

Lexus isn't dropping Sirius,but they have put the GS300/430,RX350,IS250/350,and ES350 tuner fit kits (wiring harness and hardware) on hold. And that's not hearsay,I'm supposed to install Sirius in every new vehicle I prep. If I don't have the parts to install them I don't get paid

Last edited by LexusTech; 07-26-06 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 06:53 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusTech
I have installed both OEM XM and Sirius tuners,although only Sirius for GX470's.

Lexus isn't dropping Sirius,but they have put the GS300/430,RX350,IS250/350,and ES350 tuner fit kits (wiring harness and hardware) on hold. And that's not hearsay,I'm supposed to install Sirius in every new vehicle I prep. If I don't have the parts to install them I don't get paid
LexusTech,

There is an extensive discussion on this in the RX350 forum. There seems to be a technical problem with the Gen5 Nav compatability:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=15