GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??
XM
33.33%
Sirius
42.11%
None
24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 04:37 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by looknow12
Firstly let me say I appreciate your opinions on O&A. It's a personal taste.

Ouch, Forbes Magazine hit O&A over the head knock off type of comment in their article of Barble Walters coming to Sirius.

http://www.forbes.com/facesscan/2006...acescan03.html

Mel Karmazin's next addition to his talent stable is an incisive, no-holds-barred talker. Shocking. Audacious. Loquacious.

No, the Sirius Satellite Radio (nasdaq: SIRI - news - people ) chief executive hasn't signed a Howard Stern knockoff--that's rival XM's claim to fame, with its Opie and Anthony show. Karmazin's newest celebrity hire is Barbara Walters.

The interviewer extraordinaire is a legend for her pre-Oscar Award specials, as well as her political grillings on ABC's 20/20.

Now, listeners can again marvel at her technique, as Sirius airs a weekly two-hour series replaying her "classics."

Approximately four interviews will be featured in each program. Walters will also create new content: introductions that will set the zeitgeist for each tête á tête.

"It is a wonderful way for them to be heard," Walters told The Associated Press. "So many of them are classics. It is everything from Lucille Ball and John Wayne and Bing Crosby and George Burns, to Matthew McConaughey and Julia Roberts." Not to mention more infamous celebs like Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.

And the deal constitutes another example of a pay/free media link-up: While she owns the rights to the interviews on The Barbara Walters Special--which include her Oscar specials-- it is the Walt Disney Co.'s (nyse: DIS - news - people ) ABC News that controls the rights to her 20/20 work.

Will this aural parallel to Viacom's (nyse: VIA - news - people ) TV Land channel draw more subscribers to Karmazin's company? On its own, not likely. But it's another jigsaw piece that fits into an eclectic puzzle.

Added to Sirius' other hosts--including Stern, Martha Stewart, Playboy Enterprises (nyse: PLA - news - people ) demigod Hugh Hefner and columnist Candace Bushnell, the inspiration for HBO's Sex and the City--and it looks like Karmazin is offering a package that market leader XM Satellite Radio (nasdaq: XMSR - news - people ) must reckon with.
Kinda a week argument by this guy. XM has many greats too including Oprah and Ellen, Snoop Dog. He does finish by saying, "Market Leader, XM"

PS...Don't be knocking my REDS!

CV
Old 06-29-06, 06:09 AM
rkrzyston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents worth is....
Stern takes WAY to many vacation days for his show to be fresh. Every Friday and the entire month of August?
I had never heard of Opie and Anthony, but have grown to like them. They bashed terrestrial radio a lot and now POOF they are on CBS part time. Still like them better than HOO HOO Fred, I invented.... ( everything radio)

MLB, NHL, NASCAR just to name a few for XM.. Although like a previous post, I wont be in my car on a Sunday afternoon long enough to make NASCAR ( or even NFL on the little doggie station) a major selling point for me.

I do LOVE my 470. Too bad there isnt a decent way to get XM on my nav screen without a major overhaul like Vais.
Old 06-29-06, 09:04 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkrzyston
My 2 cents worth is....
Stern takes WAY to many vacation days for his show to be fresh. Every Friday and the entire month of August?
I had never heard of Opie and Anthony, but have grown to like them. They bashed terrestrial radio a lot and now POOF they are on CBS part time. Still like them better than HOO HOO Fred, I invented.... ( everything radio)

MLB, NHL, NASCAR just to name a few for XM.. Although like a previous post, I wont be in my car on a Sunday afternoon long enough to make NASCAR ( or even NFL on the little doggie station) a major selling point for me.
Stern does not take every Friday off. And does take probably 6 weeks of vacation a year. But the Stern show does 4.5 to 6 hours of Live radio a day. Quite a bit of fresh entertainment.

Nascar switches to Sirius as of Jan 07. NHL has it's full schedule on Sirius too. Sirius also has the NBA. So it really comes down to NFL vs NHL
Old 06-29-06, 09:06 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Kinda a week argument by this guy. XM has many greats too including Oprah and Ellen, Snoop Dog. He does finish by saying, "Market Leader, XM"

PS...Don't be knocking my REDS!

CV
No wouldn't dream of knocking a fans team, unless they were playing against my team. Not much of a baseball team, but over the Mets, I am a Yankee fan.

Market Leader for now. Latest subscription trends, Sirius is signing more than XM. They are certainly closing the gap and plan to be cash flow positive by year end. Oprah only does a couple of hours live a week. That's a lot considering her daily TV show probably taxes her schedule.
Old 05-20-08, 07:31 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??

~ Cap
I have both. Integrated XM thru my navigation system. Sirius direct input below ashtray.
Old 06-04-08, 06:28 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

XM in the house, office, GX, and LS.
Sirius in the Audi

I like XM better overall. I have no interest in listening to sports or shock jock 'personalities' so for me it's about the music, and to a lesser extent the comedy.
Old 06-04-08, 08:52 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I6turbo
XM in the house, office, GX, and LS.
Sirius in the Audi

I like XM better overall. I have no interest in listening to sports or shock jock 'personalities' so for me it's about the music, and to a lesser extent the comedy.
The good news is since the Justice Department has approved the Sirius/XM merger, hopefully it won't be long before the companies merge and you can have everything for one price. The FCC I believe is dragging their feet due to "terrestial (sp?) radio lobbying" from what I understand. Its all about who greases whose hand on any one day in Washington!!!
Old 06-04-08, 12:23 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
The FCC I believe is dragging their feet due to "terrestial (sp?) radio lobbying" from what I understand. Its all about who greases whose hand on any one day in Washington!!!
ALL terrestrial radio should be outlawed for reasons of national security. The average IQ of the entire country must drop a point with each hour of listening to the idiotic DJ's and advertisements.
Old 06-05-08, 10:47 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
The good news is since the Justice Department has approved the Sirius/XM merger, hopefully it won't be long before the companies merge and you can have everything for one price. The FCC I believe is dragging their feet due to "terrestial (sp?) radio lobbying" from what I understand. Its all about who greases whose hand on any one day in Washington!!!
That's what I'm waiting for!