GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??
XM
33.33%
Sirius
42.11%
None
24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 06:35 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??

Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 06-19-06 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-19-06, 07:46 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Howard Stern + Sirius music =
XM = jk
Old 06-19-06, 08:30 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
Howard Stern + Sirius music =
XM = jk

O and A Party Rock!!!! Spread the Virus! Howard Stern is old news...

CV
Old 06-22-06, 09:35 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470

O and A Party Rock!!!! Spread the Virus! Howard Stern is old news...

CV
I don't know who or what O & A is and I could care less about Stern. I like the program lineup better on Sirius, that's why I went with Sirius.
Old 06-22-06, 01:51 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O&A is Opie and Anthony! They grabbed Howard Stern's NY studio and early AM time slot after the studio dumped David Lee Roth, who was there in the interim.
Old 06-23-06, 06:18 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusBob
O&A is Opie and Anthony! They grabbed Howard Stern's NY studio and early AM time slot after the studio dumped David Lee Roth, who was there in the interim.
They also have been on XM for the last 18 months. They do FM radio from 6-9 and XM from 9-11:30 M-F.

CV
Old 06-26-06, 02:57 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sold out there fans. Every fan that went out to pay a subscription for XM to hear them, now they broadcast on FM for several hours a day. It's a sell out no matter hour you slice it.
Old 06-26-06, 05:05 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by looknow12
The sold out there fans. Every fan that went out to pay a subscription for XM to hear them, now they broadcast on FM for several hours a day. It's a sell out no matter hour you slice it.
So it's a sell out when we now get 6hours of broadcasting instead of just 4?

XM broadcasts the FM show from 6-9 and then they go to XM exclusively until Noon. Sounds like you are victim of the Howard Stern head cold.

CV
Old 06-26-06, 04:14 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusBob
Make no mistake, CBS was counting on David Lee Roth to make things happen. He wasn't an interim gig.
Old 06-26-06, 05:52 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

So it's a sell out when we now get 6hours of broadcasting instead of just 4?

XM broadcasts the FM show from 6-9 and then they go to XM exclusively until Noon. Sounds like you are victim of the Howard Stern head cold.

CV
I am in fact a fan of Howard Stern. Been a fan for over 20 years. I don't suppose O&A have fans for that long.
Old 06-27-06, 05:06 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I am in fact a fan of Howard Stern. Been a fan for over 20 years. I don't suppose O&A have fans for that long.
I don't have any problems with Howard Stern. His show was great! I just got XM and found O&A to be refreshingly different. I do think it was shasty for Stern to mute O&A for a year. Competition makes everything and everyone better. I am a huge MLB fan so XM was the route I took.
CV
Old 06-28-06, 02:53 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have any problems with Howard Stern. His show was great! I just got XM and found O&A to be refreshingly different. I do think it was shasty for Stern to mute O&A for a year. Competition makes everything and everyone better. I am a huge MLB fan so XM was the route I took.
CV
Mute O&A? O&A got fired a couple of years ago for having a contest that involved St. Patricks Church (without their consent). That's what I read.

A few times I was without my car and therefore without satellite radio. So I tried to make the leap to O&A here in New York and spent several hours listening but couldn't make it (the leap). One of the things I appreciate is reverence and topical up to date conversation about things that occur around us, news, entertainment, etc. O&A are topical but when they carry opinions, I feel as if there opinions don't matter to me.

Stern, now on Satellite is better than he's ever been. Extremely funny, reverent and there's tons of variety. Game shows, comic roasts, contests, celebrity guest interviews and always a favorite of mine is Robins news. But of all, is the reality Stern brings. Probably one of the original reality shows. He takes you into every single aspect of the show. Even if that means finding out why a microphone is working right and yelling at the engineer that was supposed to fix, or check it. To some this might sound boring, but I think it's this kind of realism that is absent in most entertainment and I find it fascinating.

I never found baseball to be exciting on television, much less radio (but I can appreciate those who are fans). Football carrys only a limited number of games, so if stuck in the car, I gotta listen to my game.

I'm extremely happy with my decision to switch from XM and go with Sirius. I have two in the two cars, one boombox, and two at home connected to a whole house audio system.

Last edited by looknow12; 06-28-06 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-28-06, 04:42 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Mute O&A? O&A got fired a couple of years ago for having a contest that involved St. Patricks Church (without their consent). That's what I read.

A few times I was without my car and therefore without satellite radio. So I tried to make the leap to O&A here in New York and spent several hours listening but couldn't make it (the leap). One of the things I appreciate is reverence and topical up to date conversation about things that occur around us, news, entertainment, etc. O&A are topical but when they carry opinions, I feel as if there opinions don't matter to me.

Stern, now on Satellite is better than he's ever been. Extremely funny, reverent and there's tons of variety. Game shows, comic roasts, contests, celebrity guest interviews and always a favorite of mine is Robins news. But of all, is the reality Stern brings. Probably one of the original reality shows. He takes you into every single aspect of the show. Even if that means finding out why a microphone is working right and yelling at the engineer that was supposed to fix, or check it. To some this might sound boring, but I think it's this kind of realism that is absent in most entertainment and I find it fascinating.

I never found baseball to be exciting on television, much less radio (but I can appreciate those who are fans). Football carrys only a limited number of games, so if stuck in the car, I gotta listen to my game.

I'm extremely happy with my decision to switch from XM and go with Sirius. I have two in the two cars, one boombox, and two at home connected to a whole house audio system.
Cool, good reasoning. Yes, I know about the St. Patrick's sex thing. That is really old news. Anyway, to each his own. I almost bought Sirius too because of the NFL package. However, then I realized that would be a waste because I am NEVER in my car on Sunday afternoons so I asked myself when I would listen to it. I grew up (and still do) loving the Cincinnati Reds. My dad and I would listen to the games on 700WLW because of Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxal. So for me, listening to baseball is sometimes as good as watching it. I agree with you though; watching or listening can be boring if you don't care about the teams or the results. I can sit down and watch any football game as long as it is good.

Sounds like you have some excellent points as to why you went the Sirius route and I can respect that. IMHO O&A are about the best thing out there right now. Ron and Fez are on after them and they are just as funny.

CV
Old 06-28-06, 01:06 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

The reds? Marge Schott's has had some controversy over her racism . No longer an owner, but Billy West on the Howard Stern show used to do an amazing impression of her in the early or mid 90's.
Old 06-28-06, 01:12 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Firstly let me say I appreciate your opinions on O&A. It's a personal taste.

Ouch, Forbes Magazine hit O&A over the head knock off type of comment in their article of Barble Walters coming to Sirius.

http://www.forbes.com/facesscan/2006...acescan03.html

Mel Karmazin's next addition to his talent stable is an incisive, no-holds-barred talker. Shocking. Audacious. Loquacious.

No, the Sirius Satellite Radio (nasdaq: SIRI - news - people ) chief executive hasn't signed a Howard Stern knockoff--that's rival XM's claim to fame, with its Opie and Anthony show. Karmazin's newest celebrity hire is Barbara Walters.

The interviewer extraordinaire is a legend for her pre-Oscar Award specials, as well as her political grillings on ABC's 20/20.

Now, listeners can again marvel at her technique, as Sirius airs a weekly two-hour series replaying her "classics."

Approximately four interviews will be featured in each program. Walters will also create new content: introductions that will set the zeitgeist for each tête á tête.

"It is a wonderful way for them to be heard," Walters told The Associated Press. "So many of them are classics. It is everything from Lucille Ball and John Wayne and Bing Crosby and George Burns, to Matthew McConaughey and Julia Roberts." Not to mention more infamous celebs like Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.

And the deal constitutes another example of a pay/free media link-up: While she owns the rights to the interviews on The Barbara Walters Special--which include her Oscar specials-- it is the Walt Disney Co.'s (nyse: DIS - news - people ) ABC News that controls the rights to her 20/20 work.

Will this aural parallel to Viacom's (nyse: VIA - news - people ) TV Land channel draw more subscribers to Karmazin's company? On its own, not likely. But it's another jigsaw piece that fits into an eclectic puzzle.

Added to Sirius' other hosts--including Stern, Martha Stewart, Playboy Enterprises (nyse: PLA - news - people ) demigod Hugh Hefner and columnist Candace Bushnell, the inspiration for HBO's Sex and the City--and it looks like Karmazin is offering a package that market leader XM Satellite Radio (nasdaq: XMSR - news - people ) must reckon with.

Quick Reply: Which Satellite Radio Service do you have ??