GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Acknowledging other GX drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 07:28 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Acknowledging other GX drivers

I was just wondering if you acknowledge other GX drivers? I have noticed that when I pass another GX they rarely even look over. I can only think of 2 times that other GX drivers have smilled or waved. What are your experiences?
Old 06-19-06, 08:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Nope, no acknowledgment what so ever from any GX driver. One time I did get a finger from a RX driver if that counts.
Old 06-19-06, 08:28 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always felt the, "bond," too. Unfortunately, I don't get the look either.
CV
Old 06-19-06, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I was just wondering if you acknowledge other GX drivers? I have noticed that when I pass another GX they rarely even look over. I can only think of 2 times that other GX drivers have smilled or waved. What are your experiences?
I do the "look" then half-way smile first. Then the driver gives me a . Nope, no acknowledgements, even for the same color too
In my gs is alot better.
Old 06-19-06, 10:00 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had a Corvette, we gave each other the Peace sign, Victory sign, number 2 sign, or what we believed was "V" for Vette. Let's face it, the GX looks like a mini Popemobile - keep you hand down and in the vehicle at all times.
Old 06-19-06, 10:30 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lou19
When I had a Corvette, we gave each other the Peace sign, Victory sign, number 2 sign, or what we believed was "V" for Vette. Let's face it, the GX looks like a mini Popemobile - keep you hand down and in the vehicle at all times.
How 'bout this sign...
Old 06-19-06, 11:18 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never see any around here.
Old 06-19-06, 11:25 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

I did when it first came out. I got mine in jan, and on my way to costco, there was a new GX filling up at the costco gas station and they were looking at me and they waved, saying that "we are the first ones with this vehicle". Yea RIght Newbie!!!!!!!!! haha. j/k.

I only get stares usually. Rarely would they ever smile or anything. Back in my RX300, i was at a stoplight., and this other guy pulls up next to me, same vehicle, same color, and had his arm out of the window. He gives me the thumbs up and smiles. I just waved back because i didn't feel like rolling my window down on a 100 degree day.

Last week, i got a compliment from, a non-GX owner. Same scenario, stoplight, this car piulls up next to me, and she was giving me the thumbs up and pointing at my GX. I pulled my window down this time, and she say "I like your car. Very Nice color. It's a rare and unique color. Very beautiful". and i told her "Oh thanks". She probably notices that there are too many Blizzard Pearl (plain white) GX470s around and seeing a Sand Dollar Pearl (creamy white) GX makes you give it a second look.
Old 06-19-06, 12:15 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool A Dime a Dozen ...

I live in an area where I see at least 10-20 a day. It has become the new "Soccer Mom" vehicle of choice. Most drivers are women, with far fewer men driving them. It won't put my male vanity into question, but most men seem to drive hummer2 or higher end MBZ or BMW sedans. I personally don't aknowledge other GX drivers, since there are so many. It certainly doesn't feel like an group of exclusivity. With all that said, I just long for Lexus to refine the vehicle more. I am a bit envious of all my Acura friends who have Bluetooth and a Navigation system that does more than just point a finger. At some point, I guess I will sell this thing and buy a more elegant version. The truck just works well, and it hard to argue with that.
Old 06-19-06, 01:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I am a bit envious of all my Acura friends who have Bluetooth and a Navigation system that does more than just point a finger.
If you are refering to the Acura MDX, you need not to be envious. I had a 04 MDX and traded it in for the GX. Lexus is a true luxury brand, Acura is a near luxury brand which has been declining in quality recently.
Old 06-19-06, 01:37 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, based on these responses it seems most people do not acknowledge other GX drivers, and I thougth it was just something here in St. Louis but it seems to be all over. I will still look for other GX's out there and if they look back I will at least smile or wave.
Old 06-19-06, 01:45 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

I try to wave on about 25% of the time - All I usually get is a stare from somebody on the phone!

Once in a while I do get a smile, so I continue. Maybe it is because of this forum that I feel a bond that other owners don't. There are a number of GXs around here, but not every other car. If I am at the supermarket, there will usually be one other GX in the lot. Sometimes I will count three or four on a small stretch of road, and I will just about always pass one on a trip of a few miles.

We are looking at an RX to replace our Nissan Maxima. Now that is a vehicle where you see yourself coming and going around here. There must be five within a couple of blocks, and if you don't see 20 on a four mile drive you aren't looking. I would feel less of a bond with that - it's like saying "hey, we both have brown eyes!" or something
Old 06-19-06, 06:03 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

I certaintly don't wave. Corvette owners usually always wave. Hummer owners used to wave when they first came out but usually we don't anymore.
Old 06-19-06, 06:12 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just stopping by to say hi from the GS forum. For what it's worth, most GS owners around here don't waive, smile, give thumbs up, etc. Back in 1987, I bought a new Mustang GT. It was the first year of a fairly significant redesign. Talk about acknowledgement. In the first few months of owning that car, other Mustang owners would flash their brights at me coming from the opposite direction, waive, give thumbs up, you name it. The novelty wore off after about 6 months or so when the roads became flooded with these cars. But, for the first few months while the car was relatively rare, there was a lot of acknowledgement going on.

e
Old 06-20-06, 07:32 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Seriously....So Cal is the land of fancy cars and the GX is pretty much as normal as a mini van. I rarely see men behind the wheel. ( I started a post about this). So, normally, the person behind the wheel is more concerned w/ the 9 kids in the back and not acknowledging other GX drivers.

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I live in an area where I see at least 10-20 a day. It has become the new "Soccer Mom" vehicle of choice. Most drivers are women, with far fewer men driving them. It won't put my male vanity into question, but most men seem to drive hummer2 or higher end MBZ or BMW sedans. I personally don't aknowledge other GX drivers, since there are so many. It certainly doesn't feel like an group of exclusivity. With all that said, I just long for Lexus to refine the vehicle more. I am a bit envious of all my Acura friends who have Bluetooth and a Navigation system that does more than just point a finger. At some point, I guess I will sell this thing and buy a more elegant version. The truck just works well, and it hard to argue with that.

Quick Reply: Acknowledging other GX drivers