GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

04 gps

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 08:07 AM
namz111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 gps

I have an 04 gx what gen gps do i have? can i use the 05/06 gen s/w in it?
Old 07-02-06, 01:35 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by namz111
I have an 04 gx what gen gps do i have? can i use the 05/06 gen s/w in it?
I believe you have Generation 3 GPS. Generation 4 came out with the 05 model year.
Old 07-02-06, 01:47 PM
namz111
Driver School Candidate

ok so does that mean i cant use gen 5/6 s/w in it? can i get it updated?
Old 07-02-06, 05:48 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the latest update was released in late 2005 and/or early 2006.

~ Cap
Old 07-03-06, 03:20 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Yes, it is updateable ... but, should you ....

I have updated my Gen3. And quite frankly, I think the software in the prior version was better. Not that I would have the latest POI, but the "reroute" behaviour was a lot better prior to the update. Now if I deviate from my route, the system will pick what appears to be truly a randomn way of continuing (i.e missed turn, proceed ahead and make U-turn, even though going straight WOULD be OK and a cleaner route). Before, it seemed to come up with a very straight forward path to continue. I am not sure why, but the system has picked up some odd behaviour now and can be annoying. If I had it to do over again (update not reversable), I would have passed on it. Just my opinion.
Old 07-07-06, 08:37 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I have updated my Gen3. And quite frankly, I think the software in the prior version was better. Not that I would have the latest POI, but the "reroute" behaviour was a lot better prior to the update. Now if I deviate from my route, the system will pick what appears to be truly a randomn way of continuing (i.e missed turn, proceed ahead and make U-turn, even though going straight WOULD be OK and a cleaner route). Before, it seemed to come up with a very straight forward path to continue. I am not sure why, but the system has picked up some odd behaviour now and can be annoying. If I had it to do over again (update not reversable), I would have passed on it. Just my opinion.
That's really interesting - I have an 06 GX with Gen4 system and the Gen4 original disk (not the most current), and have been impressed by how easily it updates and figures out a new route when I pass an exit (many times on purpose, as I know the larger route and prefer an alternate but want the Nav on to give me detail).

I wonder if this is the Gen4 nav working better with the map disc - if so, maybe updating would not be a good idea. It could have to do with where you live and what changes were made, but that would be hard to tell.
Old 07-07-06, 11:25 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ADVocate.....

I also have a 04 GX and have updated the Versions twice. Now am using the latest version. I also live in CA and have not noticed any strange behavior with the latest version (data-base).

When deviating slightly from the nav's plan of travel, it will just recalculate and find a new route. However, when the system senses that you are making a big change, then it will try its darnest to get you back on track. I have not noticed any change in behavior in the newest version.

FWIW, I have a 01 GS that uses the same disk as the 04 GX, however the Navs work completely different.

BTW, After updating Versions on both cars, I have not noticed a single change in the function of either Nav.

~ Cap
Old 07-07-06, 08:05 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With update CD's you don't actually update the system software to a newer generation - it's basically the same software forever. All that changes is the map and POI database files.
The routing behavior might have changed as a result of different data in the map files.
Old 07-08-06, 11:40 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxdriver
With update CD's you don't actually update the system software to a newer generation - it's basically the same software forever. All that changes is the map and POI database files.
The routing behavior might have changed as a result of different data in the map files.

So does that mean the newer vesion DVDS don't have additional colour configurations for day and night and differnt angle of viewing (like bird eye )....
its just more destinations n poi.. thats it... no other change.. in terms of better maps... or better voice signals...
Old 07-10-06, 06:40 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I've noticed that my GPS wants me to do a lot of u turns on the highway if I chose to go another direction.
CV
Old 07-10-06, 08:05 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
So does that mean the newer vesion DVDS don't have additional colour configurations for day and night and differnt angle of viewing (like bird eye )....
its just more destinations n poi.. thats it... no other change.. in terms of better maps... or better voice signals...
As rxdriver mentioned, as far as we can tell the new DVD is just a database update. Anything that is switchable or accessible by the software or hardware will not change.

There may be additional data on the new DVD that gives higher resolutions, allows day or night switching (although I have to believe that is in the system software itself), but an older system would not have access to it.

All reports I have seen say that all you will get are updated maps and POIs, not changes in the system itself.

It would be nice if there was a way to do bios updates, system software updates, replace video controllers and screens and all the other stuff I do with my computers. Sadly, even though I usually keep a vehicle longer than a computer that is not the case - it is stuck in the year I bought it.
Old 07-10-06, 09:39 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverLady
As rxdriver mentioned, as far as we can tell the new DVD is just a database update. Anything that is switchable or accessible by the software or hardware will not change.

There may be additional data on the new DVD that gives higher resolutions, allows day or night switching (although I have to believe that is in the system software itself), but an older system would not have access to it.

All reports I have seen say that all you will get are updated maps and POIs, not changes in the system itself.

It would be nice if there was a way to do bios updates, system software updates, replace video controllers and screens and all the other stuff I do with my computers. Sadly, even though I usually keep a vehicle longer than a computer that is not the case - it is stuck in the year I bought it.
TRuely said... the cars seem to get stuck in the year they r bought... as far as nav is concerened i brought it up with my service advisor few months ago.. i told him that i would like to upgrade to the latest GEN 5 navigation unit.. i told him the screens seem fairly same in all model year GX/s which only leaves the nav unit and MAY BE the wirings... but he wasn't sure if it could be done.. he said he wouldn't know unless he tried it.. and for him to even order a $1500 nav unit i would have to buy it in advance.. wit the risk that i mite not work... would be cool if someone could try this.. i mean may be US Dealerships are more experiemental...

ALSO ISN'T it possible to just burn the NAV DVD just like anything else... 200-300 seems alot just for a disk with few road changes and POI additions.
Old 07-11-06, 05:29 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
TRuely said... the cars seem to get stuck in the year they r bought... as far as nav is concerened i brought it up with my service advisor few months ago.. i told him that i would like to upgrade to the latest GEN 5 navigation unit.. i told him the screens seem fairly same in all model year GX/s which only leaves the nav unit and MAY BE the wirings... but he wasn't sure if it could be done.. he said he wouldn't know unless he tried it.. and for him to even order a $1500 nav unit i would have to buy it in advance.. wit the risk that i mite not work... would be cool if someone could try this.. i mean may be US Dealerships are more experiemental...

ALSO ISN'T it possible to just burn the NAV DVD just like anything else... 200-300 seems alot just for a disk with few road changes and POI additions.
From what I have seen many US Dealers tend to be less experimental - always afraid if they do something the lawyers will be there before they get back from lunch...

As far as burning a NAV DVD, it is illegal. It would be like burning a copy of the latest version of MS Office under the theory that you paid for the last version and the changes weren't that big. You have to pay to upgrade (and anybody buying this is buying an upgrade, as they already have a Nav system with a disk). I am personally bummed that they were late in coming out with the latest disk by a few months, so my brand new GX had the older one - but I have to live with it.

Just so everybody knows, giving advice on how to burn or obtain illegal copies of any copywrited material is against the rules on ClubLexus, so lets make sure this thread doesn't go there.
Old 07-11-06, 08:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
From what I have seen many US Dealers tend to be less experimental - always afraid if they do something the lawyers will be there before they get back from lunch...

As far as burning a NAV DVD, it is illegal. It would be like burning a copy of the latest version of MS Office under the theory that you paid for the last version and the changes weren't that big. You have to pay to upgrade (and anybody buying this is buying an upgrade, as they already have a Nav system with a disk). I am personally bummed that they were late in coming out with the latest disk by a few months, so my brand new GX had the older one - but I have to live with it.

Just so everybody knows, giving advice on how to burn or obtain illegal copies of any copywrited material is against the rules on ClubLexus, so lets make sure this thread doesn't go there.

Silverlady - If you have a 2006 GX, you already have the latest nav DVD disk.
Old 07-12-06, 04:31 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Silverlady - If you have a 2006 GX, you already have the latest nav DVD disk.
You can't assume that. When you buy a new Lexus, you need to check the version of the DVD, and make the dealer throw in the latest version if necessary. That's because Lexus isn't really consisent about releasing updates in a timely manner. They're a lot better now than they were a few years ago, but it's still possible to get an "old" DVD in a brand new vehicle. Some vehicles can roll off the assembly line with the prior year's DVD, and they don't make an effort to proactively update them later on the dealer's lot.

Quick Reply: 04 gps