GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A few questions for GX owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 12:22 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A few questions for GX owners

My g/f is looking into possibly getting an SUV as current we only have 3 coupes... We've just started looking and she likes the GX. Since the car will not be daily driver by any means, only for utility purposes and when we need the space for passengers, we're thinking used may be the best way to go. However, why is it that all used GXs seem to have relatively high milage? Looking at the local dealer all the CPO GXs had at least 37k this was on an '04. I find the same to be true looking at various websites as well.

Anyway, how do you guys like the overall quality of your SUVs and are there any problems with them, both small and big problems. What kind of milage would you look for on a used one and what would you feel is a fair price. The possibility of a new one has not be eliminated; however, in my mind ~$53k for a car that might not be driven all that much isnt really worth it. What kind of prices have new GXs been going for. At the dealer I saw basically from 53k-59k.

Also, although Im sure it will be hard to get an unbiased answer in this forum, are there any other's competitors you may suggest?
Old 07-11-06, 10:48 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gx has a few known problems with the 03s and O4s but they can be fixed as long as ur in warranty. Basicaly some recommended competitors of the Gx(based off car magazines) are ML500, 4.4L X5, and possibly the new GL450. Now depending on ur needs i wud suggest looking at a 4Runner because it is very similar to the Gx in many aspects but size is a little smaller.
Old 07-11-06, 11:42 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

We haven't had any major problems with ours. Granted it has been in the dealer for some minor issues, a lock cylinder needed to be replaced and to get the rear driveshaft looked at in connection to the rear clunk, but other than that it has been very reliable, much more reliable than our MDX. Our GX is a daily driver and serves its purpose well both in daily driving and on long trips.
Old 07-12-06, 12:03 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rx900
The Gx has a few known problems with the 03s and O4s but they can be fixed as long as ur in warranty. Basicaly some recommended competitors of the Gx(based off car magazines) are ML500, 4.4L X5, and possibly the new GL450. Now depending on ur needs i wud suggest looking at a 4Runner because it is very similar to the Gx in many aspects but size is a little smaller.
What kind of known problems are these? We sort of looked at the ML but the gf thought is looked too mini-vanish and the X5 too boxy. Our friend has a 4Runner w/v8 and while it is nice seems that it may be a little too small.

MJ - what is that "rear-clunk" you mentioned?
Old 07-12-06, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The cluck is the sensation of being tap in the back after you come to a stop. Almost like a rough downshift. It is the rear drive shaft causing this, many 4WD car or truck have this problem. On the GX it seem worst, but there is a TSB out for this problem and people have gotten good result with this TSB.
New or used, the GX is a great truck. I look at the X5, avaitor, ML320 and the XC90 before buying the GX. The MDX I owned before this was a piece of ****. Personally, I would never spent $30000 or $40000 on a used car but to each his own.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-06, 10:35 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The cluck is the sensation of being tap in the back after you come to a stop. Almost like a rough downshift. It is the rear drive shaft causing this, many 4WD car or truck have this problem. On the GX it seem worst, but there is a TSB out for this problem and people have gotten good result with this TSB.
New or used, the GX is a great truck. I look at the X5, avaitor, ML320 and the XC90 before buying the GX. The MDX I owned before this was a piece of ****. Personally, I would never spent $30000 or $40000 on a used car but to each his own.

Good Luck
I will definitely agree with your assessment of the MDX... the car is amazingly designed but horribly executed in my opinion. Our '06 MDX has 10,000 miles on it and there are so many rattles. All of the surfaces that felt so nice when we first took delivery of the car have dulled and don't feel nearly as luxurious as they did. In addition driving both the GX and the MDX side by side I find that small things (dampened switches, dampened opening of interior compartments etc.) really make a difference, this added touch is just not up to par (in my opinion) on the MDX. One thing that the MDX has that I prefer it for is the usable 3rd row seat.
Old 07-12-06, 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I like the 3rd row seat better in the MDX too, but I hardly ever use them. I bought my MDX in 03 when customers were still paying invoice for the MDX. The MDX had alot of people fooled, it was such a nice car when new that people were waiting in line to buy them up till like 2004. Like you said, the MDX was well design but the material , quality control and workmanship was very poor. My MDX start rattling after the 1st year, after the 2nd year, there was more problems than I can count with my two hands. On top of that, the Acura dealer refuse to fix these problem. I have had 3 Honda and Acuras in my lifetime and I never had such as a bad experience as I did with the MDX.
The GX so far have been such a pleasure to owned, everything from quality to the dealership. I could tell that the GX was a better car just by listening to the sound it makes when I close the door. On top of that, the GX is much better than the MDX in the snow and the Lexus VSC system is top notch. I really feel that Toyota's quality has gotten much better and Honda's quality have been going downhill in the recent years.
Old 07-12-06, 10:35 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I like the 3rd row seat better in the MDX too, but I hardly ever use them. I bought my MDX in 03 when customers were still paying invoice for the MDX. The MDX had alot of people fooled, it was such a nice car when new that people were waiting in line to buy them up till like 2004. Like you said, the MDX was well design but the material , quality control and workmanship was very poor. My MDX start rattling after the 1st year, after the 2nd year, there was more problems than I can count with my two hands. On top of that, the Acura dealer refuse to fix these problem. I have had 3 Honda and Acuras in my lifetime and I never had such as a bad experience as I did with the MDX.
The GX so far have been such a pleasure to owned, everything from quality to the dealership. I could tell that the GX was a better car just by listening to the sound it makes when I close the door. On top of that, the GX is much better than the MDX in the snow and the Lexus VSC system is top notch. I really feel that Toyota's quality has gotten much better and Honda's quality have been going downhill in the recent years.
Not necesarily, Honda hasn't really gone downhill. I took a test drive of their Honda Pilot before I went on with the 4Runner, and so far the first impression of it was, unexpectidly good. It was so quiet, so much room, and fit and finish was good (but not sure how it will hold up after a few thousand miles) and had so much power also.

I'm really rooting for Toyota, but Honda's not lagging behind much. They may not have the best Hybrid development like Toyota, but they are coming up with alternatives to get better mpg in their suvs.
Old 07-13-06, 11:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rx900
Not necesarily, Honda hasn't really gone downhill. I took a test drive of their Honda Pilot before I went on with the 4Runner, and so far the first impression of it was, unexpectidly good. It was so quiet, so much room, and fit and finish was good (but not sure how it will hold up after a few thousand miles) and had so much power also.

I'm really rooting for Toyota, but Honda's not lagging behind much. They may not have the best Hybrid development like Toyota, but they are coming up with alternatives to get better mpg in their suvs.
Like I said earlier, Honda fool alot of people with the MDX and the pilot. It is so much car for so little money when new, you ask yourself, how do they do it. A year or 2 after you owned the car, you will find out how they do it.
I have always been a big Honda fan too, they still make very nice cars but they just don't know how to built a truck. Just as recent as 10 years ago, I would buy a Honda over a Toyota becuase Toyota was a bit behind in qulaity, value and performance. Snce then Toyota has improve while Honda's qulaity has gone down hill. Untiil Honda start to invest some money in quality control, I dont see them catching up to Toyota any time soon.
Old 07-13-06, 04:48 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Do any of you guys tow with your GX? I may be looking into a boat in the future and would like to get something capable of towing. I know the GX is a lxury SUV and that is why I wonder. The luxury part makes me believe, that in order to maintain the good ride quality, that the rear suspension may be a soft...? The 4WD aspect Im not too concerned with as I dont go plan to go off-roading or be off pavemet at all for that matter, perhaps occassional snow use so Im sure the GX can handle a little snow.
Old 07-14-06, 06:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The GX can handle more than a little snow, I went thru a couple of feet of snow with mine. I have also tow a small trailer with no problem. The GX is a great truck to tow with because it has auto leveling suspension in the rear and it has a ladder on frame chassis.
Old 07-14-06, 08:26 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I loves our GX. We test drove all the big hitters, Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and Honda even a Range (too much bling) Rover. GX was more compatible for our needs. U will have to get use to the Barndoor though.