GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Issue with Costal Tech "I agree" override

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 06:50 AM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issue with Costal Tech "I agree" override

I installed the Costal Tech override about six months ago. Most times it worked perfectly, those sometimes I still could not enter addresses "on the go". Recently however, I have had issues with the navigation system not showing the correct current location. I didn't notice a pattern, but the location was off enough, 35 - 40 miles, as to render the unit useless. It didn't happen all the time, but had increased to about ever 4th time I started the truck. I removed the Costal Tech unit and the issues have gone away. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any solution? I liked not having to hit the I agree button, and the option of entering addresses without stopping, but not enough to put up with the issues.

Thanks,
DB
Old 07-12-06, 07:25 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not have your problem, but I did have an issue with my wiring harness from Coastal Tech. I lost the voice commands. I was driving a new route to the beach and missed two turns because I was not prompted to "turn left ahead". I tried reinstalling twice, but with the same results. The harness sits unused on my workbench if anyone is interested in buying it.

Rick in Atlanta
Old 07-12-06, 08:01 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXRick
I did not have your problem, but I did have an issue with my wiring harness from Coastal Tech. I lost the voice commands. I was driving a new route to the beach and missed two turns because I was not prompted to "turn left ahead". I tried reinstalling twice, but with the same results. The harness sits unused on my workbench if anyone is interested in buying it.

Rick in Atlanta
Seems as if hitting an agree button everytime you start the GX is far better than messing with something that doesn't work half the time.

CV
Old 07-13-06, 09:22 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Seems as if hitting an agree button everytime you start the GX is far better than messing with something that doesn't work half the time.

CV

WELL SAID... thats part of the reason i never got that unit. plus for me.. it surely is anoyin to hit i agree button but i don't care too much about it...i mean its there on pretty much every car with nav so no biggie..
Old 07-13-06, 10:40 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coastal Tech

Originally Posted by sayadil

WELL SAID... thats part of the reason i never got that unit. plus for me.. it surely is anoyin to hit i agree button but i don't care too much about it...i mean its there on pretty much every car with nav so no biggie..
Adil.....

You need not worry, because Coastal Tech does NOT make a unit for your model GX.

~ Cap
Old 07-15-06, 04:28 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Adil.....

You need not worry, because Coastal Tech does NOT make a unit for your model GX.

~ Cap
oh they don't... i dint know that... not that i would have been interested in it, to start with.. i rather hit the i agree button.. takes about a second or less and about entering the destinations while driving.. u could override that ... and passenger could do the rest.

one thing i know for sure ... is that when people get this unit and override the system on daily basis... i'm sure they would be puttin destinations on the go as well . even when they r driving alone... its just human nature.... then it will become a distraction.... reason why most car companies don't give even an option for passenger only input system which would automatically turn on with the passenger seat belt warning off feature... ( it has been discussed by lexus techs already and was rejected coz company argued that even if the system came on everytime there was a passenger in the car.. the driver might still try inputing destinations on the move.. and it was scraped off..)
Old 07-16-06, 04:53 PM
Lou19
Rookie

The "I agree" button takes your attention away from operating the vehicle, exactly opposite of what you're agreeing to.

P.S. - I tried my best to spellcheck this message for your viewing pleasure.
Old 07-17-06, 03:24 PM
loflin
Pole Position

in ref to saydil comments on most manuf requiring "I Agree" type button push and locking out Nav inputs when moving.

I can't speak to the totality of "most", but there are a number of manuf that don't require that amount of "nannying", including some big ones like Mercedes.

Warning screen comes up for 3 seconds and dissapears. Nav inputs are live no matter what speed.
Old 07-17-06, 04:02 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
in ref to saydil comments on most manuf requiring "I Agree" type button push and locking out Nav inputs when moving.

I can't speak to the totality of "most", but there are a number of manuf that don't require that amount of "nannying", including some big ones like Mercedes.

Warning screen comes up for 3 seconds and dissapears. Nav inputs are live no matter what speed.
I fail to see how if I have to stop in the middle of a highway and pull over to the shoulder to figure out where I am going it is considered a safety feature! Likewise trying to frantically put stuff in while stopped at a light.
Old 07-17-06, 08:50 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Not on Mercedes ML.. we had one... and it always required us to clik Accept on welcome screen. that also wasn't touch screen like lexus... unless other models or newer shaped MLs r diff.
Old 07-19-06, 09:12 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I fail to see how if I have to stop in the middle of a highway and pull over to the shoulder to figure out where I am going it is considered a safety feature! Likewise trying to frantically put stuff in while stopped at a light.
very good point. this is why i override and let the wife type as i drive.
CV
Old 07-19-06, 10:17 AM
lexite
Driver

I think it is absurd to make the driver acknowlege the disclaimer every single time. If lexus corp wants to play it really safe, at best make it a c-best option to disable it, and have the owner sign their disclaimer that they can file.

Regarding setting the destination- I think it is not safe for drivers to key in data while driving. It certainly is distracting. However, it is highly desirable if the controls are not forced disabled when a front passenger is present.
Old 07-19-06, 11:37 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Not on Mercedes ML.. we had one... and it always required us to clik Accept on welcome screen. that also wasn't touch screen like lexus... unless other models or newer shaped MLs r diff.
What year? I'm talking MY 2005 and beyond.
Old 07-20-06, 04:51 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

What year? I'm talking MY 2005 and beyond.
mine is 2002 but 2005 shouldn't be different either... the new ones came out 2006 i believe.. rite.. don't know for sure...
do you still have the buttons like i have or yours is touch screen??
Old 07-24-06, 11:43 AM
loflin
Pole Position

mine is 2002 but 2005 shouldn't be different either... the new ones came out 2006 i believe.. rite.. don't know for sure...
do you still have the buttons like i have or yours is touch screen??
Not talking about a specific model (like the ML), I have an SLK55. Just talking about the MY 2005 Nav systems in Mercedes. That version was not rolled into all MB models in that year, true.

No it is still buttons, not touch screen. I prefer touch screen.

But, we are drifting away from the point. It is not a "requirement" that Car Manuf on their NAV system, require a button press. Nor is it a "requirement" that they lock out Nav editing function while moving. It is a choice made by Lexus (or Toyota). Other Car Manuf are making different choices.

More to the point, studies have repeatedly shown that "warnings" that are:
- too repetitive, when not critically necessary
- too hard to comprehend (too long, too much legal jargon)

lead to an behaviour of not only ignoring them, but create a pattern that trains people to ignore other "warnings". Which can be a problem when other warnings really are critical.

Two of the places that studies have shown as real problems are:

- Manufacturing process
- Hospitals

If there are too many stickers, posters, blinking lights, beeping, then they all start to be ignored.

But I digress......

Last edited by loflin; 07-24-06 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Issue with Costal Tech "I agree" override