GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

CoastalTech Blue Lockpick

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 07:42 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is near Houston, I have a shop that can do a bypass that will allow you to use your bluetooth and DVD player up front while driving for $250. No external boxes needed. They do it all the time and mine works great. This bypass does not allow you to use the NAV screen while driving though unfortunately. PM me for details of the company if you are interested.

Jason
Old 01-09-07, 11:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
If anyone is near Houston, I have a shop that can do a bypass that will allow you to use your bluetooth and DVD player up front while driving for $250. No external boxes needed. They do it all the time and mine works great. This bypass does not allow you to use the NAV screen while driving though unfortunately. PM me for details of the company if you are interested.

Jason

Jason,

I'm assuming that you personally don't have anything to do with this shop, do you? If not you're fine to post the details of it here as a recommendation to members based on your own experience. The only issue is if it is solictation for business (e.g. you have some vested interest) or becomes overly promotional.
Old 01-09-07, 11:44 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Jason,

I'm assuming that you personally don't have anything to do with this shop, do you? If not you're fine to post the details of it here as a recommendation to members based on your own experience. The only issue is if it is solictation for business (e.g. you have some vested interest) or becomes overly promotional.
Nope, I work at a large law firm in the IT dept. I was just trying to help out if anyone was looking to do this mod. A lot of shops will not do it I have heard. I did not post their name since they are not a sponsor and I was not sure if it was against forum rules.

Jason
Old 01-09-07, 12:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
Nope, I work at a large law firm in the IT dept. I was just trying to help out if anyone was looking to do this mod. A lot of shops will not do it I have heard. I did not post their name since they are not a sponsor and I was not sure if it was against forum rules.

Jason
No worries, that is what I thought. It's absolutely OK to post the info in that context
Old 09-11-07, 03:03 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased the Lockpick 3 from Coastaltech. I called them twice; and not receiving a call back by the next day, I called them again and spoke with Kelly. She was very pleasant and knowledgable and walked me through the installation; I found out I had it plugged in the wrong place in my '07 GX....she even typed out step-by-step instructions to supplement the generic instructions that came with the unit.

The instructions say that the navigation disk unit is USUALLY under the driver's seat. But calling the Lexus dealer I learned the unit is actually under the passenger's seat!

It took all of 3 minutes to install, and it works perfectly! Now there will be no more fingerprint smudges at the "I Agree" button!

JOHN
Old 09-11-07, 05:25 PM
Jim Lewis
Driver School Candidate

John,

I would love to get details on how you did it (both removing the vents and hooking up the device)

I bought a 2007 GX470 last weekend and purchased a Lockpick 3 (I purchased a Lockpick basic as i have rear DVD so it was the only one that would work - according to this forum)

I am nervous as hell though removing my vents as i felt around and there did not appear to be an easy way to do this. I don't want want to jam a screw driver in there and scratch/mark up the wood.

I watched installation video on Coastal's web site and it did not help.

I will buy you a beer next time i am in CA.

Thanks
Lewis
Old 09-11-07, 07:22 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

Lewis,

You can relax and enjoy a beer. With the $99 Basic Lockpick 3 (that gets rid of the "I Agree" button and also allows you to input addresses in your navigation unit while you're driving), you do not remove the vents and all those. Those, too, would make me nervous....

Like I said, it took me all of 3 minutes to install the LP3, and that included walking to and from the car from my desk at the office. So, take a deep breath, move the passenger seat all the way back, peel back the carpet in that area to expose the end of the navigation unit under the passenger seat (at least that's where it is on my '07 GX. I had to call the Lexus dealer to find out exactly where it was).

Find the plug in the back of the unit that matches the plug from the LP3, unplug the factory wiring there (press on the connector to release it), plug in one end of the LP3 into the unit (it will only go in one way), plug in the other end in the factory plug that you had just unplugged.

Tuck the wires and circuit board neatly, put the carpet back in, and turn the car on. The navigation unit will reboot (since when you unplugged it, it disconnected the power supply as well). Do NOT turn the car off or put it in reverse during this time, otherwise you may see sparks and black smoke coming from undesireable locations in your GX. Then the navigation screen with the "I agree" button will come on as usual, then after a couple of seconds the "I agree" button will light up, then it will go to the map screen.

NICE product!!!

JOHN
Old 09-11-07, 07:32 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josta
Lewis,

You can relax and enjoy a beer. With the $99 Basic Lockpick 3 (that gets rid of the "I Agree" button and also allows you to input addresses in your navigation unit while you're driving), you do not remove the vents and all those. Those, too, would make me nervous....

Like I said, it took me all of 3 minutes to install the LP3, and that included walking to and from the car from my desk at the office. So, take a deep breath, move the passenger seat all the way back, peel back the carpet in that area to expose the end of the navigation unit under the passenger seat (at least that's where it is on my '07 GX. I had to call the Lexus dealer to find out exactly where it was).

Find the plug in the back of the unit that matches the plug from the LP3, unplug the factory wiring there (press on the connector to release it), plug in one end of the LP3 into the unit (it will only go in one way), plug in the other end in the factory plug that you had just unplugged.

Tuck the wires and circuit board neatly, put the carpet back in, and turn the car on. The navigation unit will reboot (since when you unplugged it, it disconnected the power supply as well). Do NOT turn the car off or put it in reverse during this time, otherwise you may see sparks and black smoke coming from undesireable locations in your GX. Then the navigation screen with the "I agree" button will come on as usual, then after a couple of seconds the "I agree" button will light up, then it will go to the map screen.

NICE product!!!

JOHN
Can I ask you to repeat this for me, not the installation instructions but please confirm the following. I have a 2006 GX. If I buy the basic Lockpick 3, it will help with only 2 things whenever I plug it in, it will take away the I agree and let me input in my navigation on the fly, that is all. Is that correct? If so, could you please tell me which one to order? Also, the fact that I have had inputs (Vaistech) put in for an ipod in the glovebox and direct input XM should not make a difference, right? Sincere thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-07, 08:06 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Lewis,

NICE product!!!

JOHN
One more question please, is the plug-in the one (2nd from the end) next to the end larger plug-in on the left back side of the unit?
Old 09-12-07, 08:32 AM
Jim Lewis
Driver School Candidate

Lewis,

NICE product!!!

JOHN

Joh - Wow - that was easy. I mis-read the other posts that required the removal of the vents and the screen (i now know that you only have to remove the vents and screen for instaling the Ultimate Lockpick 3 and Ultimate Lockpick 3+, NOT the Lockpick 3 basic.)

Thank you, i do think i beat your 3 minute installation though, as mine took only a minute and i did it in the dark

Regarding Dr. EINtn's quesiton - Yes, the Lockpick 3 Basic only effects those two items (removing the "I agree" and the allowing for address input while driving).

The plug is the largest plug at the end nearest the drivers side

Hope that helps

Thanks again
Lewis
Old 09-12-07, 08:43 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jim Lewis
Joh - Wow - that was easy. I mis-read the other posts that required the removal of the vents and the screen (i now know that you only have to remove the vents and screen for instaling the Ultimate Lockpick 3 and Ultimate Lockpick 3+, NOT the Lockpick 3 basic.)

Thank you, i do think i beat your 3 minute installation though, as mine took only a minute and i did it in the dark

Regarding Dr. EINtn's quesiton - Yes, the Lockpick 3 Basic only effects those two items (removing the "I agree" and the allowing for address input while driving).

The plug is the largest plug at the end nearest the drivers side

Hope that helps

Thanks again
Lewis
Thanks so much. That helps alot.
Old 09-13-07, 09:39 AM
josta
Driver School Candidate

Jim is correct; the Basic Lockpick 3 has only these two features he mentioned.

For what it's worth, while driving the car yesterday I noticed the GPS was 200 feet off...it showed me as driving along the main street here when I was actually on the side street. I recall reading a thread here that someone else had a similar problem. But it happened only once (yesterday morning) and has not happened again but then I have not driven the car that much. A call I placed to CoastalTech yesterday morning has not been returned.
Old 09-13-07, 12:49 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

CoastalTech just called; they said that it's a "little learning curve" in the navigation unit, and to give it a little time and it should clear itself up shortly. I drove the car today and it did not happen today.....

Someone here said that '08 no longer has the "I Agree" button. I wonder then, if Lexus will come up with a software patch to make ours like the '08 models?
Old 09-19-07, 12:37 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

I have not had any more problems with the navigation unit being inaccurate; the CoastalTech unit works as advertised and was super-easy to install! So, a "thumbs up" for it!
Old 09-22-07, 09:42 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

I have not had any more problems with the navigation unit being inaccurate; the CoastalTech unit works as advertised and was super-easy to install! So, a "thumbs up" for it!
Just wanted to let those who have a 2006 Lexus GX with updated navigation disc (I believe generation 4, version 6.1) that the simple Lockpick 1 is indeed easy to install and gets rid of the annoying "I agree" screen quickly and efficiently. However, just like Coastaletech says on their website, the Lockpick 1 is useless for navigation on the fly functions for those who have updated their navigation disc from the original (generation 4, version 5.1) that came with the 2006 model. So I guess I am happy and if I keep my GX until 100,000 miles, not having to ever push "I agree" again for $99 is worth it.

Quick Reply: CoastalTech Blue Lockpick