GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Worst Gas Mileage EVER on my trip!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 09:22 PM
RC1818
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys.....im wit "llcc" here, i didnt wanna say anything at first about switching to a higher octane to achieve a better average MPG test, i figured what have i got to lose!??! maybe "cvs" is right so 2day when i filled up my tank wit amoco 93 it came to 19.689 gallons (to be exact).... "lady", this is why im dividing by 20 (i rounded up/easier to divide) so im gonna give it a try for the next few fill-ups and see what my average MPG will show.....but i highly doubt i will get anywhere near 300 miles!! anutha thing, i always drive til im practically running on fumes b4 filling up so 23+ gallon tank is not possible...i would say more like 20 tops, reason again, if u go according to computer when my "E" light appears my range always indicates i supposedly have 21 "miles to empty" and since ive done the test where ive driven the xtra 4 miles -dont believe ur computer or what the book states!! so next time guys, try my method instead of the computer, just reset ur B odometer after ur next reload and then simply drive 3miles xtra (to be safe=)even when the range indicates 0 miles then do it the old fashion way of dividing by 20, lets see what ur "real" average MPG is and tell me if ur really getting 300+ miles per full tank....=)
Old 07-27-06, 11:29 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey

Originally Posted by RC1818
just curious.....how exactly are u guys calculating ur MPG average?? whenever i fill-up my tank i always reset my B trip monitor and i seem to rarely surpass 230 miles before i have to plug her in again....although i use regular gas only (87octane) and do mix of city & hw driving....so im averaging roughly no more than 11-13 MPG as oppose to all u guys, should i which to a higher octane or tell me im doing something wrong?? ive honestly never surpassed 300+ miles ever on a full tank of gas...thx!
I'm driving a GX with 20's with 265/50 tire. I get 310 miles on a full tank with regular (87) esso gas. I'm talking Highway city mix drivin... actually went to cottage last weekend.. and got 340 on hwy alone. May be u should get a engine clean up service and see if it improoves.

I usualy just calculate by filling gas up... reseting the trip meter and then filling back up on yellow light...
Old 07-28-06, 11:46 AM
Salvator
Driver

I already own a Thule Evolution rooftop box that we use on our BMW 525iT, so if I need extra space, I'll drop that on top... However, if I didn't already own it, and needed extra space on a trip in my GX, I'd consider one of these... No aerodynamic issues here... only concern would be how it would work with the rear door....

664 - Transporter
CAPACITY:13 Cubic Feet

The convenience of rear-of-vehicle access with a great look and a great price.

SKU# 664$399.00
FEATURES

Rear of vehicle access in seconds with tilt-down design
Pre-wired tail lights included (4-pin)
License Plate Accessory [LPA] included!·
Plug/valve makes clean-up easy· Cargo box lock included - One Key SystemTM.Snug-Tite LockTM hitch lock sold separately.
Available for 2” [664] and 1.25” [665] receiver hitches·
Carrying capacity: 13 cu ft, 150 lbs·
Requires 2” receiver, Class II
Cargo box dimensions: 50.5” x 25.5” x 24”

Last edited by Salvator; 07-28-06 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 04:08 AM
PumpkinsGX
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Hi,

We just purchased a white GX470 and plan on taking it on vacation this summer (OC Maryland). I'll have to let you know how the mileage is. I love the white!!! We live in Pennsylvania and have been to the Jersery shore plenty of times. Despite your mileage, I hope you had a nice vacation.

PumpkinsGX
Old 07-30-06, 02:44 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PumpkinsGX
Hi,

We just purchased a white GX470 and plan on taking it on vacation this summer (OC Maryland). I'll have to let you know how the mileage is. I love the white!!! We live in Pennsylvania and have been to the Jersery shore plenty of times. Despite your mileage, I hope you had a nice vacation.

PumpkinsGX
Welcome Pumpkins!

I hope you enjoy your new GX as well as your vacation! You should find it pretty handy if we get some real snow around here this winter.

Feel free to post an intro message letting us know what you were driving before and why you chose a GX this time around. We also like pictures
Old 07-31-06, 07:59 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Well, I'm back home now The Vacation was great and the weather was awesome.

For anyone wondering, the roof rack is a sears box (biggest one) called X-Cargo. They do sell more aerodynamic ones with less capacity but I needed all of the room I could have fit.

My gas mileage is back to around normal for city driving so it was definitely the factors I stated before. I still can't belive that the poor aerodynamics, speed, and weight killed mileage so bad. (I had a feeling that the faster you go, the more exponential an effect air drag has on a car, but never knew for sure)

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-31-06, 08:05 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default GX Mileage

I averaged around 15mpg with the 03 GX running regular unleaded. I haven't checked what wifey's been getting out of the 06, but I'm sure it's not much better. I gotta say even though the IS only gets 6-7 mpg more - I feel alot better about it.
Old 08-01-06, 05:24 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

It dawned on me that your AC use might has something to do with your mpg. It has been hot!

CV
Old 08-06-06, 03:13 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Guys,

Here is the way I calculate my MPG. I run the GX till it's empty, trip computer states 0 miles left in tank and my gas gauge is empty and the "empty tank indicator" is brightly lit.

FILL up the tank divided by the miles driven from the last FULL fill up, and I'm averaging 280 miles between each refil.

Number of gallons at each fill up = 21.27
Regular or Premium = makes no difference
MPG = 13.5
NY state gas now has ETHANOL instead of MBTE, don't know if this makes a difference or not?

Hope this helps. also the guys like Yaro who are routinely getting 17~19 mpg, does your gas have MBTE or Ethanol or ZERO additives...

I WISH I was getting the 17~19 mpg...

-Alex
Old 08-07-06, 06:28 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi Guys,

Here is the way I calculate my MPG. I run the GX till it's empty, trip computer states 0 miles left in tank and my gas gauge is empty and the "empty tank indicator" is brightly lit.

FILL up the tank divided by the miles driven from the last FULL fill up, and I'm averaging 280 miles between each refil.

Number of gallons at each fill up = 21.27
Regular or Premium = makes no difference
MPG = 13.5
NY state gas now has ETHANOL instead of MBTE, don't know if this makes a difference or not?

Hope this helps. also the guys like Yaro who are routinely getting 17~19 mpg, does your gas have MBTE or Ethanol or ZERO additives...

I WISH I was getting the 17~19 mpg...

-Alex
Hey, you don't have to go completely empty to figure mpg. Just go fill up someday no matter how much fuel you have left in the tank. Turn the pump on low and let it fill up until it clicks off (do not top off). Reset your trip A. Drive for about 3 days. Fill up again until it clicks off. Get a receipt and see how much fuel you put in the beast. Use the trip A for miles. Whola.

CV
Old 08-07-06, 06:31 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys/gals. Well, I drove around last week as normal until my fuel computer got to about 20 miles left until empty. My trip computer said 310 miles and my computer said 17.8 mpg. I use BP premium. That is what I normally get. The mpg is not actual but rather what the computer told me...

CV
Old 08-07-06, 11:21 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Hey guys/gals. Well, I drove around last week as normal until my fuel computer got to about 20 miles left until empty. My trip computer said 310 miles and my computer said 17.8 mpg. I use BP premium. That is what I normally get. The mpg is not actual but rather what the computer told me...

CV
You can deduct at least 1 mpg because the on board mpg computer is always optimistic. But I see you already know that.
Old 08-07-06, 11:26 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
You can deduct at least 1 mpg because the on board mpg computer is always optimistic. But I see you already know that.
Yeah, thanks. For the sake of the argument, I was just giving as much info as I could.

CV
Old 08-07-06, 08:08 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi CV,

Yes, I know I don't have to wait until the end of tank but I figure that the law of averages is on my side if I wait it out to the end instead of checking every few days, because in the long run, a FULL tank refill will give me a much better estimate of my "normal" driving conditions...

-Alex
Old 08-08-06, 04:59 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi CV,

Yes, I know I don't have to wait until the end of tank but I figure that the law of averages is on my side if I wait it out to the end instead of checking every few days, because in the long run, a FULL tank refill will give me a much better estimate of my "normal" driving conditions...

-Alex
I agree...statistically, your way is closer. However, you will find that with only a 23 gal tank, your numbers will be pretty much the same. Try it!

CV

Quick Reply: Worst Gas Mileage EVER on my trip!