GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking at the 06 GX470 for my wife.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 03:56 PM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
The salesman that I worked with was Wayne Yonke... I have no idea who my sister worked with.
I told the $3800 man to stop wasting my time. He then came back with $3k over. I realize the KDSS are not plentiful around here but c'mon.

So I'm going to meet with Lexus of Bellevue tomorrow to see about getting the vehicle at invoice or just a little above. It amazes me that you can get an 03 GX, in 03, for $550 over invoice and these guys aren't willing to go below $1k over invoice. $3k for the clown in Seattle!

Anyway, I think I'm just going to go in there and ask for the car at invoice. I don't think that's too much to ask at the end of a model cycle. Especially since i have to spend extra $$ to convert the headlamps to HIDs for my gal.

If there's no deal, I guess there's no deal. Oh well, at least I tried. I've been burned once on a new car purchase (first one) but never again after that.
Old 08-03-06, 07:17 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Last November I ordered a "rare" white GX w/ KDSS and

pretty much all options except RSES at $500 over invoice. Considering how the '07s will be out very soon, with '06s soon to plummet 1 yr's depreciation, invoice is the least they can do. At this point I'd just wait for '07 unless they offer a PHENOMENAL deal.
Old 08-03-06, 07:32 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JWS3
pretty much all options except RSES at $500 over invoice. Considering how the '07s will be out very soon, with '06s soon to plummet 1 yr's depreciation, invoice is the least they can do. At this point I'd just wait for '07 unless they offer a PHENOMENAL deal.
Yup, I'll second that again. What I forgot to say earlier whyjay was that before I bought my 2005, I worked deals on 2006s (this was about 4 weeks ago). I was looking at one with Nav / ML / RSES and when I originally said around $1k over invoice as something in the ballpark of my "range", they didn't even blink. Which implies to me that invoice would not have been all that hard to accomplish if I really dug in. And this is even in a city where dealers don't have problems selling luxury cars because everyone here has to have their "bling." We ended up going with the 2005 just because we happened to find one equipped the way we liked and I am a cheapskate and thought I'd save a few thousand.
Old 08-04-06, 04:47 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llcc1975
Just one of those curiosities with this Lexus. The 4runner has the power rear window in the liftgate and the GX does not. I agree with Bob--I've always had SUVs that had windows in the tailgate that opened independently of the whole hatch, but it wasn't used all that much. Nonetheless, I do like how you can vent the cabin by rolling down that rear window in the 4runner. Also the lack of HID is another curiosity. And the fact you can vent the rear most side windows but it is manual, while the same function on a Dodge minivan has power controls.

All that aside, love my truck, it does have a lot of nice features and is seriously the smoothest SUV I have owned that is a body on frame design with a live rear axle.
I owned a 4Runner and it is a GOOD thing (and a purposeful) thing that the rear window does not roll down. When I used to drive with the rear window down in the runner, it would fill the cabin with noxious egg smell. If you tried to put your gym bag in and out of the window, you had a hard time with the tanou (sp?) cover. I found it to be useless unless I was carrying lumber or something long. I wouldn't do that in my lexus anyway.

I agree with your sentiments about the rear venting windows. I wish there was a control to open and close them. I never open them because I am never in the back of the truck.

CV
Old 08-04-06, 04:49 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PumpkinsGX
HI,

We just bought a the GX470 for me. I am only 5' tall and love it. I usually can not see over the dash of certain cars and have no problem with that or the size of this vehicle. I just LOVE IT. The swinging door does not bother me either. I actually like it. It's easier than trying to reach up to pull down a hatch. We bought the extended warrenty because we will have this car for many years too. Let us know what you decide.

PumpkinsGX
These are my wife's sentiments too. She can raise the seat up so she can see out of the truck. This makes her feel comfortable driving it. If I get in when it is adjusted for her and hit my memory button it is almost like a thrill ride. Soooo much **** moves at once.

CV
Old 08-07-06, 10:12 AM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

It looks like you're stuck with a CD changer in the glovebox when purchasing the OEM Nav. My question is, will it play .mp3 files from a CD-R/RW?

The audio quality on the Mark Levinson is outstanding though.
Old 08-07-06, 11:06 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whyjay91
It looks like you're stuck with a CD changer in the glovebox when purchasing the OEM Nav. My question is, will it play .mp3 files from a CD-R/RW?

The audio quality on the Mark Levinson is outstanding though.
I've had some difficulty with this. For some reason when I try and play my cd-r's it often sounds muted.

CV
Old 08-07-06, 11:14 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 06 GX plays the CD-R's fine. But I know that some Lexus CD players are fussy depending on brand of burner and the brand of CD-R's used to make the CD.
Old 08-07-06, 11:28 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
My 06 GX plays the CD-R's fine. But I know that some Lexus CD players are fussy depending on brand of burner and the brand of CD-R's used to make the CD.
Can you tell me what brands you use?

CV
Old 08-07-06, 05:27 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I've had some difficulty with this. For some reason when I try and play my cd-r's it often sounds muted.

CV
I've got an 05 and it plays my CDRs just fine and I have not noticed any muffling of the sound. In case you are wondering, my CDRs have been burned on (a) iTunes using a Mac Powerbook G4, (b) using iTunes on a Dell 8300 desktop using a Toshiba 16X DVD burner; and also (c) using Roxio Easy CD Creator on the same Dell desktop. No issues noted regardless of software or computer burning the disc.

What I have NOT tried however is actually trying to play MP3s that are just saved to the disc directly as an MP3 file. All of mine are converted into the typical wintel "WAV" files or "AAC" files from the Mac.
Old 08-08-06, 05:04 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llcc1975
I've got an 05 and it plays my CDRs just fine and I have not noticed any muffling of the sound. In case you are wondering, my CDRs have been burned on (a) iTunes using a Mac Powerbook G4, (b) using iTunes on a Dell 8300 desktop using a Toshiba 16X DVD burner; and also (c) using Roxio Easy CD Creator on the same Dell desktop. No issues noted regardless of software or computer burning the disc.

What I have NOT tried however is actually trying to play MP3s that are just saved to the disc directly as an MP3 file. All of mine are converted into the typical wintel "WAV" files or "AAC" files from the Mac.
Thanks! Well, you are not playing mp3s then. You are playing mp3s converted into real music files. You can fit a ton more mp3 files on a disk...that is why I was concerned.

CV
Old 08-08-06, 05:12 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with your sentiments about the rear venting windows. I wish there was a control to open and close them. I never open them because I am never in the back of the truck.CV
Doesn't the LX470 open these rear windows automatically with a push of button(s)??

CV...does your CD changer not read the CD-R completely or does it take a few seconds before sounds come out?? With some CD-R's, toyota CD player takes a few seconds before sound comes on.
Old 08-08-06, 05:24 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Doesn't the LX470 open these rear windows automatically with a push of button(s)??

CV...does your CD changer not read the CD-R completely or does it take a few seconds before sounds come out?? With some CD-R's, toyota CD player takes a few seconds before sound comes on.
Hi Thai

It doesn't delay coming on, but rather is really soft and muted when played.

CV
Old 08-08-06, 08:18 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Hi Thai

It doesn't delay coming on, but rather is really soft and muted when played.

CV
Hey CV

how u been.. anyway i'm really confused.. can the 6cd changer play mp3 or not.. coz mine doesn't play MP3 at all.. but it does play burnt CD's just fine... they play without any mutin or skps. i'm using built in DVD burner from my Toshiba Qosmio g30 using NERO 7. i have burnt on various media brands.. such as sony memorex maxwell and fuji. they all work good.. but i can't play MP3s though... any suggestions???
Old 08-08-06, 09:10 AM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

It may very well be that these GX470 CD changers (from the mark levinson system) can't read data CD's (.mp3 files). That would really be a shame as the fact that the GX, with Nav, does not come equipped with an in-dash 6 disc changer but rather an old-style changer in the glovebox. Being in the glovebox makes it more difficult to swap CD's, which could certainly be overcome by being able to read .mp3 files. I would like to reiterate, however, that I haven't heard an oem car stereo sound better than the mark levinson, save a nakamichi.

One of the best brands of media out there is called ritek or ridata (same brand). This brand of DVD-R's can be read on even the most archaic players, and their CD-Rs are the same way. They are considered one of the best brands but it is difficult to find in stores. You can find them online everywhere. Newegg.com or Supermediastore.com . They are pretty inexpensive as well.

Quick Reply: Looking at the 06 GX470 for my wife.