GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

NAV probs..... need advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 12:16 PM
RC1818
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NAV probs..... need advice.....

i have a '03, lately my NAV has been giving me probs.....past 3 experiences have sucked the big one, enter destination but nuthin' comes up for my locations?!?!?! 1st time i let it slide, 2nd time i wuz in a rush so i just called for directions.......my last attempt just totally pissed me off, i tried entering a simple addy into her NAV but again rejected stating unidentified location.....instead of NY a totally different state comes into play!??!?! maybe i need an update, u think if i were to burn a '06 NAV/DVD it would work in mine..... just a thought.....thx for any input......
Old 08-08-06, 12:35 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC1818
i have a '03, lately my NAV has been giving me probs.....past 3 experiences have sucked the big one, enter destination but nuthin' comes up for my locations?!?!?! 1st time i let it slide, 2nd time i wuz in a rush so i just called for directions.......my last attempt just totally pissed me off, i tried entering a simple addy into her NAV but again rejected stating unidentified location.....instead of NY a totally different state comes into play!??!?! maybe i need an update, u think if i were to burn a '06 NAV/DVD it would work in mine..... just a thought.....thx for any input......
Perhaps someone has (inadvertantly) changed the config setup on the nav (in the config screens) so that you are no longer pointing to the area of the country you are in.

NY is in area US8, while me (TX) has it set to US5 (unless I was going to drive up to see ya'll!).

When you search for POIs or Addresses it will only search the states you have the search area set for. It's in the Nav Manual near the front (pg 20 or so).
Old 08-08-06, 06:11 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Sounds right- perhaps the area got changed (m)

Originally Posted by loflin
Perhaps someone has (inadvertantly) changed the config setup on the nav (in the config screens) so that you are no longer pointing to the area of the country you are in.

NY is in area US8, while me (TX) has it set to US5 (unless I was going to drive up to see ya'll!).

When you search for POIs or Addresses it will only search the states you have the search area set for. It's in the Nav Manual near the front (pg 20 or so).

That happened to me once. Couldn't find my own house until I set it back!
Old 08-08-06, 09:02 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Just for the record, i'd be careful of using that term "burn" in this forum due to piracy.

Originally Posted by RC1818
maybe i need an update, u think if i were to burn a '06 NAV/DVD it would work in mine..... just a thought.....thx for any input......
Old 08-09-06, 05:04 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that "burn" would even work.
But anyway, you can't just pop in the disc from an '06. The nav systems come in generations, or major software upgrades. To replace the original DVD, you need an "update DVD" that matches the correct generation of your system. The '03 GX is probably Gen 3; Gen 4 came out in '05. The latest disc for your system would be the '05 Update for Gen 2 & 3. (Updates usually come out late in the calendar year.)
Old 08-09-06, 11:59 AM
RC1818
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx for the insite everyone....didnt mean to offend the forum wit the "burn" factor, just thought of it since my boy has an '06 that maybe it would work in mine also....figure it save me couple of $$'s, guess i'll just have to purchase the disc/software upgrade from stealer =(