GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front Suspension Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 09:28 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension Issues?

I did a search on this already but didnt really find anything...I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I have an 05, non KDSS GX. I have had it for exactly a year now,15k in milage. I have not taken my rig off road at all (some fire road use but nothing crazy). As well, i have not hit any large pot holes or jared the front suspension in any way.

Recently, I have noticed that if im turning the wheel all the way to the left while moving forward (picture a 3 point turn or something of the like), I get a metalic groan from the left front suspension. I cant really pin point it but it's enoug to actually feel inside the cabin. As well, if I were to hit any sort of bump or incline while the wheel is turned? its even worse. Im not sure im explaining it right but I know that it is not normal. Im due for my 15k oil/tire rotation deal so i will have them check it out, im still under waranty so im sure they will fix it. I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

FYI, im not talking about that noise you get from the power steering when you turn the wheel all the way..this is much more, um, metalic crunchy sounding.
Old 08-11-06, 09:58 AM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomGXer
I did a search on this already but didnt really find anything...I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I have an 05, non KDSS GX. I have had it for exactly a year now,15k in milage. I have not taken my rig off road at all (some fire road use but nothing crazy). As well, i have not hit any large pot holes or jared the front suspension in any way.

Recently, I have noticed that if im turning the wheel all the way to the left while moving forward (picture a 3 point turn or something of the like), I get a metalic groan from the left front suspension. I cant really pin point it but it's enoug to actually feel inside the cabin. As well, if I were to hit any sort of bump or incline while the wheel is turned? its even worse. Im not sure im explaining it right but I know that it is not normal. Im due for my 15k oil/tire rotation deal so i will have them check it out, im still under waranty so im sure they will fix it. I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

FYI, im not talking about that noise you get from the power steering when you turn the wheel all the way..this is much more, um, metalic crunchy sounding.
That's odd. Wheel Bearings or Ball Joints? Seems odd for a Toyota/Lexus suspension.
Old 08-11-06, 10:10 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Hard to know without witnessing myself ....

Originally Posted by TomGXer

There are a few different sounds you might get when you crank the wheel over all the way while turning. First thing that comes to mind, if it really is excessive, is a bad CV (Constant Velocity) joint. It is similar to a U-joint in nature, which allows for the axle to connect to the front wheel and not restrict the turning capability. But, the amount of noise your hearing may be typical for that configuration. Anyway, probably the best thing to do is determine a way to repeatedly recreate the noise, and than display it for the Tech Rep when you take it in for service. It can be pretty frustrating when you have an issue that you cannot recreate for the Tech's. It makes it all very hard to correct than.
Old 08-11-06, 10:49 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it when the wheel is turned all the way over to the lock? If so, I bet it's the steering bumpstops...happens on many toyota trucks. The remedy is to put some grease on the bumpstop. Some vehicles come w/ a plastic cover on this bolt (which falls off over time), so you get metal on metal rubbing at full lock. When you go over a bump, it rubs even more, making a louder sound.
Old 08-11-06, 10:54 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Default Thanks Guys

Yeah, the sound is when the wheel is completely turned but it only occurs on the left side. Im pretty sure i can re-create the sound on comand...luckily. At least y'all agree that is friggin strange. Thanks again for all the help.

T.