GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

20inch Chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 01:42 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
IMHO, i think there is nothing wrong with putting 20" wheels on a GX, however 20" would be the MAX i'd go. secondly, just like the rest of the tuner world, there are your nice wheels made with quality, great design, and superior construction.
then you have your cheap (cost and construction) no-name cast wheels that are made poorly, knock offs and to be quite honest, dangerous.
i've seen far too many of these "cheaper wheels" bend, split, crack, tear etc.
plus they weigh a ton too.
if you're gonna go with wheels, get something nice (quality, construction etc)
but don't settle for the "ebay special" looking wheels... we all know what they look like, cheap chrome, jagged edges, and stupidly heavy.
i know finding wheels that fit our 6X139.7 lug pattern is hard, but don't settle for crappy wheels. they don't look "baller" and everyone knows that they're cheap wheels. stick with well known brands such as HRE, Enkei, Eagle, AXIS, BBS etc

dan

I do agree on quality of wheels. You get what you pay for. But I gotta say one thing about HRE. OVER PRICED for what you get. Why? I was at the track last year and this guy who had HRE on his Porsche 911 cracked it on the track.... i was like wow..... expensive rims..... cracked wheels... no spare... he was devistated...

THe point is... all those brand name wheels are nice. Workmanship/quality can be debated for hours and people will give biased opinions. If you are going to put cheap rims for bling factor on 50k car, that is fine. Just enjoy it. Whatever floats your boat no?? Just enjoy the car whatever you do... but purple did have a point... it wouldnt hurt to get something "quality" for out truck... right??
Old 08-28-06, 12:53 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
IMHO, i think there is nothing wrong with putting 20" wheels on a GX, however 20" would be the MAX i'd go. secondly, just like the rest of the tuner world, there are your nice wheels made with quality, great design, and superior construction.
then you have your cheap (cost and construction) no-name cast wheels that are made poorly, knock offs and to be quite honest, dangerous.
i've seen far too many of these "cheaper wheels" bend, split, crack, tear etc.
plus they weigh a ton too.
if you're gonna go with wheels, get something nice (quality, construction etc)
but don't settle for the "ebay special" looking wheels... we all know what they look like, cheap chrome, jagged edges, and stupidly heavy.
i know finding wheels that fit our 6X139.7 lug pattern is hard, but don't settle for crappy wheels. they don't look "baller" and everyone knows that they're cheap wheels. stick with well known brands such as HRE, Enkei, Eagle, AXIS, BBS etc

dan
I totally agree with you.. infact thats what i was trying to say... putting 20's has given me positive results... but at the same time... rims have to be of good quality and design not some cheap ones.
And the fact that 20' don't neccesarily mean ghetto as long as they r tasteful (some OEM SUVS are coming out with standard 20' rims already).
Anythin more then 20's would affect ride quality...i had 22's on and i got them off coz i thought it was too stiff but someone else might be ok with it...
ur true about the ebay specials as well.. they seem risky to get into...

Again... - for the question on this topic...
since i have 20's on my truck.. i can tell by experience... my ride is as comfortable as it was.. with much better handling... plus i think they look far better then the (undersize) factory 17's (comeon even small SUV like murano comes with 17 n 18 as an option) ... I would put the factory ones back on when i sell it (and in winters) which would be when the new JX comes out.. i'm eagerly waiting.