GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any Former LX Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 06:42 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any Former LX Owners

Hello all!

We are 3 months away from purchasing our new (well, new to us) Lexus SUV. We are torn between an 03 LX and the 04 GX, right now they seem to be within $3000 of one another. I was wondering if any of you GX owners are former LX owners and if you can give me any advice on what swung you to the GX. We like the simplicity of the LX's option packages as the GX seems to require a bit more hunting around to find what we want; Grey leather interior, ML/NAV, 3rd row seating, and RSES. I am inerested to know if it was a gas consumption issue or rather just the need to drive something a bit smaller, etc.

Thanks for any input. We have test driven the GX and thought it was incredibly smooth. We hope to drive an 03+ LX in the next few weekends.
Old 08-25-06, 08:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What are you looking for? A mid size SUV or a full size?
Old 08-25-06, 02:08 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default former 4 runner owner

I was looking at the same two vehicles...... wanted to move up from the 99 4 runner..

main decider for us.... creature comforts..
LX still doesn't have dual climate control
LX didn't have KDDS (a must for me!)
GX has newer technology/ design components... (the LX has been around a while!!)
GX = better gas mileage and better accelaration.
05 gx has blue tooth integrated with navi

IMHO - The LX still looks a little more masculine...(I like the wider stance)

- Either way you cannot go wrong...

STL2CHI
05 non sport with KDDS
Old 08-25-06, 02:38 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I went w/ the LX, over a V8 4runner limited (was looking for a 03 LC, but used ones cost as much as a 03 LX, and the LX was CPO and had fewer miles). I researched this for several years and went w/ the LX/LC100 due to the overbuilt design. Everything is heavier duty, lower A-arms are twice as thick, stiffer ladder frame, etc. The GX is the LC Prado overseas, which is considered a light-duty 4x4. Fuel economy difference is pretty negligible at least when comparing the 4runner V8 to LC/LX...only 1-2 mpg (all depends where you live, how you drive, grade of gas, condition of the vehicle); after all, it's the same engine, just the GX weighs less. I don't use my LX as a dd, though. It's mostly a road trip/rec vehicle. We have one baby, plus a lab (who is confined to her crate in the back), might have another baby in the future. The 4runner/GX would have been fine for a family of 3+dog, but too small for 4+dog+gear. For a daily driver, the GX/4runner might be better...smaller, easier to park. The 3rd row seats on the LX don't create a huge blind spot like on the GX when folded (GX seats fold up higher). I don't buy a car very often. I perform most of the maintenance myself and expect to get 250-300K miles and 20 yrs out of anything I buy. We also offroad our vehicles..nothing super gnarly, though. You can buy more offroad accessories for the LX/LC, as they've been around longer...bumpers, sliders, safari roof racks, snorkels, etc. Here are pics of my front & rear tow bumper...all 3/16" and 1/4" steel.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233506

Bottom line is, your present and future needs should dictate which vehicle you buy.
Old 08-25-06, 03:10 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

I have had both. Honestly they both are great vehicles...can't really find fault with either, except for that ridiculous rear door design on the GX...hate it. Other than that I have been very happy with the GX.

The ONLY reason I switched is my LX had a vibration that Lexus neither could fix or would fix. So I sold it and bought the GX because it was readily available and had barely been driven...plus I could get it for a great price.

What I will say is that the GX does indeed FEEL faster than the LX due to the weight difference. I like that. It has a much better audio system than the LX as well.

It however is no Land Cruiser and never will be. The LX is a beast...period. As Jim said, overbuilt...in every way. When you are driving a Lexus you know you have a well built vehicle. When you are driving an LX/LC you know you have a VERY SPECIAL vehicle. It's a tank that doesn't drive like a tank.

Oh yeah, the LX also has the BEST seats ever. The GX is great but the LX...butt heaven.
Old 08-25-06, 10:28 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The LX also has some kind of rear temp control. I don't know if you'd consider it a climate control, but there's a panel in the left side ceiling with a slider switch that allows one to adjust the temp for the rear AC/heat, plus some buttons for low/med/high blower strength. The heat only does exit from the bottom of the center console while only cool air exits from the top vents....not sure why, and not sure if the GX does the same. The "auto" climate control button on the dash controls the temp for the entire vehicle. It seems like when I have the AC on manual, the temp you set still determines when the AC compressor engages while the manual speed adjustment seems to control the blower speed only. Since I live in So. AZ, I've only used the heater once and have yet to use the heated seats.

Yeah, the LX is like driving a tank...over-built, rock solid, plush and quiet. It's no sports car, but it does handle pretty well for its size. It also feels much larger (or tank-like) than it really is, maybe due to the commanding view of the road and seat height? In reality, it's about the same size as my 4runner on the outside, just 6" wider, but much larger inside.

I do like the AHC since you can adjust the damping control and crank it up to stiff for curvy roads or leave it soft for freeway driving. I bet most people leave it set at the same setting. If I were ordering a new LC (optional AC), never having used it before, I probably would have passed. But now that I have the AHC, I do like it. The AHC is also supposed to automatically place more pressure at the front or rear wheels to reduce dive/squat under hard braking/acceleration, and similarly.

Last, I like the split tailgate. I think the LC's have always had the split tailgate, partly due to tradition, but it's also more reliable (no power motor that can break. :-)) With the tailgate, you can sit on it w/o getting your pants dirty from weather stripping, plus you don't have to move gear around inside to sit on it. I've used it for watching fireworks shows while it was drizzling (top hatch keeps you dry), as a diaper changing table on road trips, for putting on hiking boots, picnics, you name it! The drawback is, if you want to fetch something far inside, you have to climb up on the tailgate whereas maybe you could have reached it more easily w/o the tailgate being in the way. It's easy if the AHC is in low. :-) Oh, yeah, the rear quarter windows on the LX are power. I think those on the GX are manual?

If your family is growing or you have guests (this is my case), you might need the extra space; it's like buying a house. Better to buy something you can grow into than to buy something the right size now, only to find you need something larger a few years down the road. Yeah, most people trade-in their vehicle or buy a larger house, but that costs a lot more in the long run.
Old 08-25-06, 11:01 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

Jim, you are definitely right regarding the split tailgate. I loved that feature on the LX. The first time I took my LX snowboarding, I fell in love with the rear setup. Being able to sit on the gate while not actually having to climb into the cargo area was wonderful. I'm kinda starting to miss it already!

Wait til winter is here, and it is snowing...and I am sitting in the rear of my GX trying to get my gear on while snow is coming down with no top to protect me! Oh well...can't have it all...lol.
Old 08-26-06, 06:19 AM
Jayson
Advanced

I've heard through the threads here in the past that because the LX has a very sophisticated suspension system, the LX does not need KDSS like the GX. I agree on the no dual zone climate control. I was surprised to see it is isn't offered on the LX.

My wife really likes the 05 GX Sport package with the black wood color. Unfortunately, they seem to be hard to come by in the classifieds, eBay, Autotrader, and LCPO.com.
Old 08-26-06, 07:24 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
The LX also has some kind of rear temp control. I don't know if you'd consider it a climate control, but there's a panel in the left side ceiling with a slider switch that allows one to adjust the temp for the rear AC/heat, plus some buttons for low/med/high blower strength. The heat only does exit from the bottom of the center console while only cool air exits from the top vents....not sure why, and not sure if the GX does the same. The "auto" climate control button on the dash controls the temp for the entire vehicle. It seems like when I have the AC on manual, the temp you set still determines when the AC compressor engages while the manual speed adjustment seems to control the blower speed only. Since I live in So. AZ, I've only used the heater once and have yet to use the heated seats.

Yeah, the LX is like driving a tank...over-built, rock solid, plush and quiet. It's no sports car, but it does handle pretty well for its size. It also feels much larger (or tank-like) than it really is, maybe due to the commanding view of the road and seat height? In reality, it's about the same size as my 4runner on the outside, just 6" wider, but much larger inside.

I do like the AHC since you can adjust the damping control and crank it up to stiff for curvy roads or leave it soft for freeway driving. I bet most people leave it set at the same setting. If I were ordering a new LC (optional AC), never having used it before, I probably would have passed. But now that I have the AHC, I do like it. The AHC is also supposed to automatically place more pressure at the front or rear wheels to reduce dive/squat under hard braking/acceleration, and similarly.

Last, I like the split tailgate. I think the LC's have always had the split tailgate, partly due to tradition, but it's also more reliable (no power motor that can break. :-)) With the tailgate, you can sit on it w/o getting your pants dirty from weather stripping, plus you don't have to move gear around inside to sit on it. I've used it for watching fireworks shows while it was drizzling (top hatch keeps you dry), as a diaper changing table on road trips, for putting on hiking boots, picnics, you name it! The drawback is, if you want to fetch something far inside, you have to climb up on the tailgate whereas maybe you could have reached it more easily w/o the tailgate being in the way. It's easy if the AHC is in low. :-) Oh, yeah, the rear quarter windows on the LX are power. I think those on the GX are manual?

If your family is growing or you have guests (this is my case), you might need the extra space; it's like buying a house. Better to buy something you can grow into than to buy something the right size now, only to find you need something larger a few years down the road. Yeah, most people trade-in their vehicle or buy a larger house, but that costs a lot more in the long run.
Jim, I am currently deliberating on moving fwd with a 2006 LC without the air suspension, but has all the other standard options (NAV, airbags, roof rack/running bds) around invoice. I could also wait for the 2007, which has the upgraded generation 5 nav and could probably get one with the air supspension, but will probably pay a bit more than invoice.

What are your thoughts about the long-term longevity/reliability of the AVS system - if it ever goes out, is it ultra expensive to go back to OEM spring system? One bonus is that the AVS comes with 4 wheel height control (raises the vehicle 2.8 inches) and can be used in low speeds off road - does this basically eliminate the need to do a lift or does it have limitations in its off-road use? The AVS switches also take up a nice little storage pocket which could be used for change, phone, etc., but that's a side issue.

I also keep my vehicles a very long time like you - do you think its worth waiting on the '07s to get the newly upgraded gen. 5 nav system - I think it is the same system in the new LS 460 later this year. In general, I am worried that 10 years from now, the nav will become extremely obsolete or will stop working all together - which of course will be ultra expensive to fix. Any thoughts you may have on the AVS, NAV and '06 vs '07 would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-06, 11:18 AM
mkool
Rookie

Time like this, I would get a 07'. Some ppl say it's not that important but for the sake of resale value, I would get 07'. It comes newer/bug fixed systems, may come more HP, Newer Nav and audio system...and so on.
For 06', sure you can save money and enjoy everyone else they do. But resale value will drop alittle more than 07' after 10yrs.

Bottom line is this, If you don't care about resale value and new improved features go for 06'. But if you want something better than last year model and resale value, then go for 07'.

Either way, you will be happy to be Lexus owner.

PS. For Nav. system, When it stop workin or compatibility issue with SAT.,I'm sure you can buy newer Nav. system and install it. If you can affort to buy a Lexus SUV, I'm sure NAV. system you can buy easily.
Old 08-27-06, 01:16 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by no1sportz
The GX is great but the LX...butt heaven.
Nuff said. We're sold on the LX.
Old 08-27-06, 01:37 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow

1. Yeah, the LX is like driving a tank...over-built, rock solid, plush and quiet. It's no sports car, but it does handle pretty well for its size. It also feels much larger (or tank-like) than it really is, maybe due to the commanding view of the road and seat height? In reality, it's about the same size as my 4runner on the outside, just 6" wider, but much larger inside.

2. Last, I like the split tailgate. I think the LC's have always had the split tailgate, partly due to tradition, but it's also more reliable (no power motor that can break. :-)) With the tailgate, you can sit on it w/o getting your pants dirty from weather stripping, plus you don't have to move gear around inside to sit on it. I've used it for watching fireworks shows while it was drizzling (top hatch keeps you dry), as a diaper changing table on road trips, for putting on hiking boots, picnics, you name it! The drawback is, if you want to fetch something far inside, you have to climb up on the tailgate whereas maybe you could have reached it more easily w/o the tailgate being in the way. It's easy if the AHC is in low. :-) Oh, yeah, the rear quarter windows on the LX are power. I think those on the GX are manual?

3. If your family is growing or you have guests (this is my case), you might need the extra space; it's like buying a house. Better to buy something you can grow into than to buy something the right size now, only to find you need something larger a few years down the road. Yeah, most people trade-in their vehicle or buy a larger house, but that costs a lot more in the long run.
1. We have found both the LX and GX of fantastic quality. When we test drove the GX it was an '04 w/o KDSS and my wife thought it definitely had a great field of vision. The commanding view is one reason why we want an SUV in the garage. Thing is, we plan on buying one of these beasts in mid-November and then we'll be taking it on our annual road trip out to see family in Carlsbad, CA in mid December.

2. My wife likes both the split tailgate (LX) and the swing rear door (GX). She's short at 5'2" and they are both easy for her to use. I agree with you about the split gate being nice for loading, changing gear, etc.

3. We don't have any kids yet, but we will during the ownership of both my GS and her LX/GX, so the decision we make will have to based on the family growth factor. Right now it will just be the two of and our two dogs.

We lean towards the LX right now, but we just cannot seem to make a solid decision. I don't know when dealers tend to reduce their vehicle pricing, but I've noticed 3-5 LX's on LCPO.com around the country. I am hoping, keeping my fingers crossed, that we'll have more to pick from in the mid-$30k price range by November.

Thanks for your input!