GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 12:52 AM
Bronsteen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

What is the opinion of getting the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube type place vs. the dealer?

Thanks
Old 09-11-06, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the GX's oil drain plug is behind the skid plate, I would not trust those high school kids from Jiffy Lube.
Old 09-11-06, 06:29 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lubrication only shops have a bad reputation.

Try the Toyota dealer' oil stop. You know the person doing the job is not learning how to service your vehicle for the first time... They know where the filters (engine air and oil) are and have replacements available.
Old 09-11-06, 07:09 AM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

I have had it done many times at Jiffy Lube type places. It is not brain surgery.
Old 09-11-06, 07:22 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you care about your GX, DO NOT take your car to a Jiffy Lube or any other "quick lube" joints. I knew people who worked there and man the horror stories i've heard...not tightening the drain plugs properly, overtightening plugs, cross threading plugs into the pan, not changing the filter, etc etc
just take it to the dealer, it's not that much more and you can relax and have some drinks while you wait.

dan
Old 09-11-06, 09:38 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
If you care about your GX, DO NOT take your car to a Jiffy Lube or any other "quick lube" joints.
I received a phone call awhile back from a female coworker... she was on the road in her car and had just left the Jiffy Lube a couple of miles back... her oil light had just come on and she was wondering what to do... After telling her to pull over and shut off the vehicle, inspection under the vehicle showed that oil was pouring out around the filter... they had forgotten to tighten it fully...

I've also heard of people taking their BMWs to Jiffy Lube, only to have the threads stripped in the oil pan... in these cases, the Jiffy Lube tech will install a Universal rubber plug, which will hold for awhile...

No thanks... Dealer / independant full service shop / or DIY only for me...
Old 09-11-06, 04:08 PM
rklages
Pole Position

i have a friend who's hood came up about 2 miles from jiffy crap because they didn't latch it right when they closed it - heard all kinds of horror stories, but the short of it is that my local Toyota dealer is cheaper anyway, so why would I give Jiffy lube $35 when toyota will do it for $20 (obviously not the GX and not with synthetic, but you get the idea!) Shop around, you will probably find most dealers compete on price for oil changes.
Old 09-11-06, 04:18 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

If you do decide to go to a quick lube, I would provide the OEM filters/plug/gasket, and then ask them to show you the parts they took out. although This doesnt really protect you against dumasses that dont know how to properly tighten/install a filter/plug, how much oil to add, and latch a hood ^^^^

I wouldnt take my car to a quick lube, I think the only way you should save money when it comes to mainetenance is by not having to pay for labor. And like somebody said its not brain surgery, but IMO this is the exact reason why you should just do it yourself.
Old 09-12-06, 09:03 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T DO IT!!! Take it to a Toyota Dealer to save a little $.

CV
Old 09-12-06, 01:10 PM
newgx
Driver School Candidate

Can DonJuan or anyone else on this Board, describe in detail, how to change one's oil oneself on the GX? Is there a book that walks you through it?

I agree that it's not brain surgery, but if you've never done something, I don't know that a $55K truck is the place to learn.
Old 09-12-06, 04:59 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my car to Toyota Delaer. I pay around 34.99 i think. Free car wash, all the fluids are filled to the top and knowing that it is done right.... best deal i think. I get mine every 5000 miles as adviced to. But they always ask me to "upgrade" to package service for like 50 bucks.. which includes brake inspection and other things.. i figure i wont need that until 30k miles.... I have 18500 right now... racking up milage fast... mine is 2006 bought in sept 05....
Old 09-12-06, 06:58 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newgx
Can DonJuan or anyone else on this Board, describe in detail, how to change one's oil oneself on the GX? Is there a book that walks you through it?
Here's a generic walkthough on Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...8/article.html
That article gives you a general idea, but I'm sure someone here with a GX can improve it a little with some specific details, such as how to get at the oil filter and drain plug, and the size of the drain plug. The Toyota 4.7L V8 has the oil filter located in a fairly convenient place on the bottom of the engine.

You shouldn't need to jack up the vehicle at all - I can get under an RX with no problem, and the GX has more ground clearance.

Also, I'd recommend using Lexus (Toyota) OEM oil filters; go to a Lexus or a Toyota dealer and ask them for the V8 oil filter. (There are several correct part numbers, but they're all the same size. It fits the Lexus GX or the Toyota 4Runner V8.) They can also sell you an oil filter wrench that will fit on it. You may need the wrench to get the old filter off, but NEVER use a wrench to put the new one on - hand-tight is good enough for the new one.

There's no need to make this process more complicated by trying to choose between normal or synthetic oil; just follow the recommendations in the Owner's Manual on this subject.
Old 09-13-06, 11:14 AM
xpeng
Driver School Candidate

I paid $140 for 1-year service at lexus dealer, just oil change, some inspections, tire rotation.