GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus GX470 KEYS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 09:14 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus GX470 KEYS

I'm a newbie here...just got my first ever luxury car a Black Lexus GX470 over the Labor Day Weekend and I just love it.

But my question is do any of you local Southern Cali owners know where I can get a spare key cut. I actually bought an OEM UNCUT KEY from ebay and I just need someone to cut it for me.

If this is in the wrong forum please administrator move it to the right one. Thanks for your input guys!

BLKGX470
Old 09-13-06, 09:31 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLKGX470
I'm a newbie here...just got my first ever luxury car a Black Lexus GX470 over the Labor Day Weekend and I just love it.

But my question is do any of you local Southern Cali owners know where I can get a spare key cut. I actually bought an OEM UNCUT KEY from ebay and I just need someone to cut it for me.

If this is in the wrong forum please administrator move it to the right one. Thanks for your input guys!

BLKGX470
The key is what is expensive. The dealer will have to program it and cut it for you.

CV
Old 09-13-06, 09:58 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

yes, no kidding...i got a key with the remote and it cost me around $80+ on ebay from a Lexus Key Manufacturer somewhere in the midwest.

He also told me to never go to a Lexus Dealer because they will charge me an arm and a leg and they never do a good job.

I just need to find an auto locksmith that cuts Lexus Keys here in Los Angeles area.
Old 09-13-06, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

You can go to some mom+pop locksmith. I bought a spare blank off ebay also, had it cut for $10. Where in so cal are you? I can show you a place where I got mine cut.

Congrats on the gx btw and welcome to CL
Old 09-13-06, 10:00 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You can go to some mom+pop locksmith. I bought a spare blank off ebay also, had it cut for $10. Where in so cal are you? I can show you a place where I got mine cut.

Congrats on the gx btw and welcome to CL
Don't you have to have the remote programmed too. Can you do this without the dealer? What about the chip matching up?????

CV
Old 09-13-06, 10:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought I saw somewhere that there is a way to program the fob buttons yourself but I think the dealer have to program the immobilizer chip in the key.
Old 09-13-06, 10:16 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Thanks GS3Tek...I'm in West Covina but my wife's family is in Orange County and frequent there. But I work in Century City so driving anywhere in LA is not a problem for me. Can you message me their info?

You're the best....

By the way, i belong to a few forums and this by far is the most adult forum i've ever belonged to. No smart remarks, no foul language and very nice professional people...I like it here
Old 09-13-06, 10:18 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Hey The GMan and CV...actually the key dealer I bought the key from on ebay sent step by step instructions on how to program the remote and all that stuff. I just need the key cut for now then I'll tackle the programming part later.

If ever I have problems with programming, their customer support is excellent and they gave me their direct number to call if ever I can't program it.
Old 09-13-06, 10:30 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Hey The GMan and CV...actually the key dealer I bought the key from on ebay sent step by step instructions on how to program the remote and all that stuff. I just need the key cut for now then I'll tackle the programming part later.

If ever I have problems with programming, their customer support is excellent and they gave me their direct number to call if ever I can't program it.
Cool, but I still don't understand how you train the immobilizer chip. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.

CV
Old 09-13-06, 10:38 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Don't you have to have the remote programmed too. Can you do this without the dealer? What about the chip matching up?????

CV
First off, I was answering his question to having his key cut.

2nd, yes you do have to re-program the transponder if you are buying one of those spares to work with your car. I'm speaking from experience b/c I bought a spare and re-programmed it myself for my gs. Sorry if I jumped the gun a little too quickly.

I haven't tried it for the gx, so I'm not sure if these steps will work for the gx.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=program+key

Now if you don't want to deal with those hassles, our vendor sewell lexus can cut and program a spare key for you:

http://lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?...91&ModelID=113

The blue one is the spare for my gs:
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GX470 KEYS-blue-key.jpg  
Old 09-13-06, 10:44 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by The G Man
I thought I saw somewhere that there is a way to program the fob buttons yourself but I think the dealer have to program the immobilizer chip in the key.
Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Cool, but I still don't understand how you train the immobilizer chip. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.

CV
Woops, I was in between work and this thread got filled pretty quickly.

As long as you have your master remote key, you can re-program other spare keys. It's a series of dance with your feet and turning on this and that....

put in "program key" or something of those words in the search up above and you'll have lots of discussions posted before.

Again, I've done it for my gs, so it maaaay be the same for gx. Hopefully this wasn't misleading.

Maybe blkgx470 can compare his included instructions with what I had posted above.

The place I had mine cut is down here by garden grove. You can ask around the locksmith, but you shouldn't pay more than $15 tops.

Good luck, hope that helps.
Old 09-13-06, 10:57 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Hey GS3Tek, you wouldn't happen to remember the exact name of the place you went to do you? I mean, Garden Grove is a big city. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
Old 09-13-06, 11:03 AM
GS3Tek

Hey GS3Tek, you wouldn't happen to remember the exact name of the place you went to do you? I mean, Garden Grove is a big city. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
The gas will kill you if you're coming from century city just to have your key cut I don't have their #, but they're right at the corner of westminster blvd and euclid st. It's a little dinky hole in the wall express lock smith, can't miss it.

If you're down in this area, let me know. Otherwise, you can shop around in your area. It's really no super special key cutting machine.

I'll see if I can get the phone # at lunch time.
Old 09-13-06, 11:25 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Way Cool! Thanks GS3Tek, like I said...you're the best. I love this forum. I will be going there to Orange County to my wife's family so I will definitely be closer.

The phone number would definitely be alot of help but if you can't, don't go out of your way. You've given me the corner streets already and that should suffice.
Old 09-17-06, 07:23 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

UPDATE!!!!

Hey GS3Tek I finally went to Garden Grove this weekend and I actually let my wife drive the GX470 since that is her territory as she used to live in Orange County before we got married.

I found the place and immediately the guy talked to me in Vietnamese. I always get people from all parts of asia talking to me in their language. I'm filipino chinese so I guess I look so asian and they automatically assume that I can speak their language.

Anyways, I finally answered him and told him I don't speak vietnamese and he charged me $20. I told him that someone (GS3TEK) sent me there and I told him that you got charged $10 but he said, its $20 take it or leave it. So I had no where else to go so I said fine.

Then he asked me where I got the key and he said, that I can't program it myself. He told me that for another $50 he will program it for me. That its a newer key and it won't work with the '03 GX yada yada yada. But anyways, I just got my key cut for $20 and left.

Thanks again for the info. Do you know if the dealer with program it for me for free? Since I will tell them that I screwed with it and replaced the battery and it doesn't work anymore? Do you think they will buy that?

Quick Reply: Lexus GX470 KEYS