GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

(2) MAJOR OR MINOR Concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 12:46 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (2) MAJOR OR MINOR Concerns?

First of all, I'm a newbie and have only owned my very first Lexus for only 12 days now. I bought it used from a car dealer 2003 GX470 AWD with only 26K miles on it. And that is why I went for it because it has low mileage and would never even think of buying used unless its an asian car.

When I test drove it, of course I wouldn't drive it wrecklessly or harshly while the sales person is sitting next to me. Everything was fine, smoothest ride ever. But for a few days now, I noticed that whenever driving in LA traffic and if I had no choice but to step on my brakes hard and abruptly, I can feel metal grinding. I've owned american suvs before and its the same as when brakes are going out. Now, my question is, has anyone experienced this when your brakes are going out? Because when I drive leisurely and don't have to brake hard, it's smooth and you won't feel a thing. It feels like brand new. ONLY when I have to hit the brakes hard is when it grinds. Is that also covered on the warranty?

My next concern is when I do brake hard on a stop light. Before the light turns green I ease off my foot off the brake and suddenly I feel a strong TUG. Now, I've never owned a 4WD before, is that normal? Do you feel that in a brand new GX470 or is the tranny giving way? When I drive it, it is smooth as ever, no problems slipping or anything.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-06, 01:04 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old were your previous cars, or more importantly did any of your previous cars have ABS (anti-lock brakes).

I believe what you are experiencing when you say you "feel grinding" on a hard brake, is the ABS kicking in.

In either case, best to take in to a shop to have the brakes inspected.
Old 09-15-06, 01:19 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

yeah, my first thought was to take it to get it checked. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't go to the dealer and look like a fool.

I had ABS on my 2003 Explorer although, it only felt like that when I knew the brakes were almost gone. That is the experience i had so that's the only one I can compare to. Of course, an Explorer is no way close to being a luxury suv.
Old 09-15-06, 01:33 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKGX470
My next concern is when I do brake hard on a stop light. Before the light turns green I ease off my foot off the brake and suddenly I feel a strong TUG. Now, I've never owned a 4WD before, is that normal? Do you feel that in a brand new GX470 or is the tranny giving way? When I drive it, it is smooth as ever, no problems slipping or anything.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
For your 2nd concern, sounds like you have the dreaded "clunk", there is a TSB on it so if it is still under warranty have the dealer do it. It has been talked about many times on this forum. It is a great fix and makes the GX drive like it should! Good luck!
Old 09-15-06, 02:28 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
For your 2nd concern, sounds like you have the dreaded "clunk", there is a TSB on it so if it is still under warranty have the dealer do it. It has been talked about many times on this forum. It is a great fix and makes the GX drive like it should! Good luck!
you have the clunk! It is a simple fix which is accomplished by greasing the drive train. Comes about in many Toyota 4Runners and Lexus GX470s.

the first of your problems sounds like the ABS kicking in when you slam on the brakes. i've noticed that mine feels like a grinding too. if you don't feel or hear then when braking normally, i wouldn't worry.

CV
Old 09-15-06, 02:34 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

man, you guys are awesome...

okay...for the CLUNK, do i just go to the dealer and tell them I have the CLUNK problem or is there a technical term for that so they will understand what i'm talking about.

So when I go to a dealer, how much time approximately does that take so I wouldn't be sitting there all day waiting for it. By the way, what is a TSB? That's a new term for me

Thanks again guys...you guys are the best!
Old 09-15-06, 02:38 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLKGX470
man, you guys are awesome...

okay...for the CLUNK, do i just go to the dealer and tell them I have the CLUNK problem or is there a technical term for that so they will understand what i'm talking about.

So when I go to a dealer, how much time approximately does that take so I wouldn't be sitting there all day waiting for it. By the way, what is a TSB? That's a new term for me

Thanks again guys...you guys are the best!
TSB stands for Transportation Saftey Bulletin...Yes, there is a specific # or code that goes along with the clunk problem but chances are the dealer will know what you are talking about. You could prob look it up on the internet or do a search on the GX forum. Come to think of it, the number might be in one of the stickys at the top of this forum.

found it for you...DL001-06 is the #

CV
Old 09-15-06, 04:44 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to be picky, but I don't want to see someone get laughed out of a dealership. "TSB" is a "Technical Service Bulletin". That's what most manufacturers, including Toyota, call bulletins that they send to their dealers regarding specific problems that customers may encounter and how to fix them.

For some reason, Lexus calls them "TSIB's", or "Technical Service Information Bulletins." But you'll find that most people call them TSB's anyway.

A TSB is NOT a recall - it's just a formal internal memo to help the dealer solve a problem with a known fix. Dealers don't have to perform any services on your car related to a TSB, but of course they do when your car exhibits the documented problem and it's under warranty.
Old 09-15-06, 05:08 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Hate to be picky, but I don't want to see someone get laughed out of a dealership. "TSB" is a "Technical Service Bulletin". That's what most manufacturers, including Toyota, call bulletins that they send to their dealers regarding specific problems that customers may encounter and how to fix them.

For some reason, Lexus calls them "TSIB's", or "Technical Service Information Bulletins." But you'll find that most people call them TSB's anyway.

A TSB is NOT a recall - it's just a formal internal memo to help the dealer solve a problem with a known fix. Dealers don't have to perform any services on your car related to a TSB, but of course they do when your car exhibits the documented problem and it's under warranty.
Thanks for the correction. My typing got ahead of my brain. I knew what I wanted to say but did a bad job of it.

CV
Old 09-15-06, 07:35 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Blk-

Welcome to the group!

If you look at the top of the forum topic listings, there is a "sticky" discussion on the clunk you mentioned. It discusses the TSB and what is actually done, and various people's experience with it. Lots of pages of late night reading
They have to put in new parts (it is more than just greasing the drive chain, which was a temporary fix used in the past). The parts will probably be on backorder, so the sooner you order the better.

As far as the ABS, I always thought of it more as a bump than a grind - it is hard to say. I also had a Ford Explorer (1996), and it is not that different, although I do remember thinking I was losing control the first few times I stopped hard with the GX. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out just in case.
Old 09-15-06, 08:38 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

To see if what you are experiencing is normal operation, you can compare the noise you hear to that heard when using DAC (Downhill Assist Mode). What DAC does is it modulates the brakes rapidly to maintain a constant speed when traveling downhill., similar to the activation of ABS. It is meant for off-road or extremely slipery hills, since the max speed in the mode is 12 mph.

See your manual for full directions, but in a nutshell: When on a steep hill 1) Shift to Park or N, 2) Shift transfer case (the other shifter) to low 3) Put the normal shifter in Drive, 4,3,2 or L 4) Remove your feet from the pedals, but don't get scared. You will hear a very discomforting sound from the brakes, but this is normal. See if that sounds similar to what you were talking about.

If it does sound similar, what you are hearing is probably normal operation of ABS. If it is not, you might have a problem, but you learned how to use DAC

Go get the TSB done, I did and now I have no more clunck! Quick and easy fix.
Old 09-15-06, 09:19 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

Hey SilverLady, yes...i actually found the sticky on the top of this board. Sorry for the repost. I should have checked before posting.

Update on my clunk problem is I already called Peter from Glendale Lexus and he referred me to Kin at their service department and made my appointment in 2 weeks. Then he transfered me to the parts department to make sure they have the parts needed to fix the problem and luckily the parts guy also said it is backordered and said it will come in a couple of weeks and told him perfect because that's when my appointment is set originally.

But to make sure if other dealers have the stock, I called Tustin Lexus and also the parts department said it is back ordered and will not get here in a couple of weeks.

So now, I am just waiting which dealer will call me first to tell me that the parts already came in.

Again, thank you so much guys for all your help.
Old 09-15-06, 09:21 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

yaro1,

wow, i do see that DAC button but have not cracked the manual on how to operate that. The only thing i've done so far is configured the universal garage remote to work with the lexus button and it works great.

I will have to read more on DAC and try that.
Old 09-16-06, 10:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

BLKGX470, it's back ordered everywhere
I'm still waiting for my phone call and it's been about 2 weeks.

Seems like everyone answered your questions.