GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

OEM XM unit and RSE conflict with Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 02:41 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OEM XM unit and RSE conflict with Nav?

Can someone please clarify this for me. I just got a call from my lexus dealer saying that they can't integrate the factory XM unit into the Nav screen since I have the RSE unit. And they will have to add a seperate LCD screen for the xm. Is this true? I think I read somewhere on one of the threads that this is the case. But I have the ultra lockpick unit on the way. Will the ultra lockpick unit sort this out and make it so that I can have the XM features on the nav screen?

If the ultra cannot bypass this will the SLI unit work? Thanx.
Old 09-20-06, 02:47 PM
peterh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the OEM (LX470) XM kit in my 05. I have the OEM RSES and there are no issues whatsoever seeing the XM info on the Navi screen. You get SAT1, 2, 3 no problem. My only gripe is the volume on the XM is a bit lower than CD or Radio and the song title/artist cuts off longer names. Quality of sound is fine, just have to be careful when you switch from XM to CD or something you will get blasted. Not sure if all this holds true on 06's. I also have the lockpick. First one had DVD issues (well documented here) but while it was in, everything worked totally fine with the OEM XM, RSES, etc - new lockpick should be here tomorrow.
Old 09-20-06, 02:56 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thank you the reply peterh. I don't think lexus service will install a 05 LX xm kit on my GX even if they did have one I think. But I will ask them and see what they say.

I just talked to the tech at Vais and they said their unit would let integrate the oem xm into the nav display. But then I cannot have my ipod displayed on the nav screen too. Its either one or the other.

If I install the untra lockpick unit would I be able to have xm and ipod control thru the nav screen? or will I have to purchase both the vais unit and the ultra unit in order to accomplish all this?
Old 09-20-06, 04:20 PM
peterh
Rookie

It is my understanding from Vais that a "new version" of their unit will do both XM and iPod. Yes, right now you get one or the other. I was told September would be when this unit came out - well, nothing yet...

I was also told by Vais, that if you buy the XM or iPod unit, you can send it back to them for an update if/when that unit is ready. Apparently it is the exact same unit, just some software coding is done to upgrade.

The one advantage of the Vais XM unit is that the unit has a line level adjustment for volume so you can raise the volume to match the other inputs. I have read that the Vais unit and lockpick do work together ok, but again I can not verify this.

You may want to read through the forum here to check on which XM kit has been installed in the 06's. I believe most have installed the ES330 kit with success.

The lockpick does nothing to integrate iPod. I know Coastaletech does have an additional module for iPod you can get - check out their site, it is a compeltely different sort of integration. If you want to control iPod as a MD Changer, you will need the Vais unit.

Right now, there is not a simple way to do everything you want - you will need multiple devices.
Old 09-20-06, 04:39 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thankx again peterh for your help with this I have learned alot. I do not know which is better between the LX kit and ES kit and I do not know which unit the dealer will install, but I will ask before the installation takes place. In all likelyhood, I will just have the dealer give me the xm unit and I will have my audio guy install it with the vais unit and the lockpick unit and hopefully all will work nicely.

If I have a choice from the dealer, should I ask for the LX kit or the ES kit? And since I have the RSE should I get a specific years XM Kit?
Old 09-21-06, 08:51 AM
peterh
Rookie

All I know is what I learned here on the forum - in my 05, I needed the 05 LX kit to work. I guess several tried to install the 06 kit into an 05 and it did not work. It is also my understanding that for an 06 GX, you still need the 05 LX kit. Something is different with the harness on the 06 LX kit. The lexus part number is 86100-0W100-01 for the 05 LX kit you want. Alternatively you can get the 05-06 ES kit. I bought mine at Sewel Lexus (lexus-parts.com) and they had the best price by far ($299) The Toyota Landcruiser (05) kit is also the same exact thing so if Lexus does not have them, you can try Toyota dealers...same part#

I went with the LX kit because it came with a roof antenna and a longer wiring harness. The ES kit has an antenna that is supposed to mount on the front windshield under the rearview. It is a lot more work installing the LX kit because you have to take apart the entire back of the truck to mount the unit and run the harness. I ran the antenna from where I mounted the XM unit (drivers rear of the luggage area) up through the tail-light and out along to the roof. The installation is very similiar for the LX as the GX and instructions are available here on this fourm (cant remember where, but I printed them out) Just do a search here from a few months back and you will find a lot of info on SAT radio installs.

Most dealers will not touch this mod as it is not "factory approved" but apparently a few dealers have done many of them...

Cheers.
Old 09-21-06, 10:00 AM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thank you very much Peterh you have been a world of help!
Old 09-21-06, 11:15 AM
peterh
Rookie

no sweat. best of luck on the project!
Old 09-21-06, 10:16 PM
peterh
Rookie

Dr.2K - Sorry need to make a correction on part number from previous post - the kit I got was the 86100-0W120-01 Landcruiser/LX470 kit. The 0W100 kit should also work based on previous posts, but I have the 120 confirmed working. Sorry...memory not as good as used to be
Old 09-21-06, 11:02 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thanks again peterh!
Old 09-25-06, 02:30 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Peterh,

Are you currently using the new version 6 of the vais unit along with the xm kit? or are you just hooking the xm unit directly into the audio system? From what you have wrote it is my understanding that you are the latter. Also, with the 05 LX470 XM kit which reciever are you using? As with all lexus sat kits there are 2 parts to this, one for the wiring harness and prep and another for the physical xm tuner.

Also, I looked at the lexus-parts.com site and I looked for the part number for the 05 LX470 xm kit, but it is not listed. Under the 05 LX it lists a part number for the xm unit as 86100-0w200-01 and not 86100-0w12-01. Would this be the same part with just an updated part number?

Last edited by Dr.2K; 09-25-06 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-26-06, 10:46 AM
peterh
Rookie

I do not have the Vais kit at all, I just have the OEM Lexus XM kit. It plugs behind the nav screen and also to the amp under the drivers seat. The part number 0W200 is for the 06 LX and from what I understand will not work in the 05/06 GX. You need the 0W120 Kit which includes everything you need. For the Sirius kit, there are two part numbers you need - the module and the fit kit. The XM came complete with wiring harness, XM module, and roof antenna. I had to do some searching to find a "left over" 0W120 kit which I found and Sewel Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com). Call their parts department and have them look up the number - they are very familiar with our situation. Apparently they bought a bunch of the 0W120 kits from other dealers for just this situation. I also had my local dealer do a national search for that part and found several of them scattered throughout the country. Prices ranged from $299 (Sewel) to $899 (Las Vegas)

If you can not find the OEM Lexus/Toyota kit, your only option will be the Vais unit or going with the ES kit.
Old 09-26-06, 03:17 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thank you Peterh. I am still trying to get this sorted out. I will let you know how all this turns out.