GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Chip in the GX window...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 09:12 AM
Joel888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it was the BEFORE photo, just to show you the cracks and chips. I did not take any AFTER photo.
Old 09-27-06, 09:17 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
When I got a chip in my windshield, I refused to have it fixed, paid a small deductible and got a new windshield. With the new windshield it felt like a new car. I was very happy with my decision.

~ Cap
Hi Cap,

How much does the new windshield for the GX cost? Is it Lexus OEM windshield?

How was the seals after your window replacement?

Please share w/ me as I may want to get my window replaced someday if the chip repair won't last. Thanks.
Old 09-27-06, 10:51 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel888

Hi Cap,

I don't remember the cost. It is not a Lexus OEM windshield.

The seals were fine, could not tell the difference.
Please share w/ me as I may want to get my window replaced someday if the chip repair won't last. Thanks.

As I said before, I am very pleased with my decision.

~ Cap
Old 09-27-06, 11:49 AM
Salvator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had our windshield replaced by insurance, and they authorized us to get a Lexus windshield... our out of pocket was $100.

I had called the dealership to get an idea of what a Lexus windshield costs, and they quoted me $1600 (I'm not sure if that was installed or not).

OEM (but not Lexus) windshields were running around $500 installed, although at least one installer mentioned that the windshield, while OEM, would not "look" the same (some have indicated that the black matrix in the middle is missing... others have mentioned the slight green tint to the glass)...

Seals and trim are fine (in fact my installer said the GX was much easier from a windshield install standpoint) than an LX.
Old 09-27-06, 12:07 PM
Joel888
Driver

Thanks for your inputs, Cap and Salvator.
Old 09-27-06, 03:37 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool OEM windsheilds are pretty expensive ...

Hi Cap,

I recently had Safelite replace my chipped windscreen. I had to request the Manufacturer Glass for them to order (they had to use the VIN number to get the glass). Prior to that. I had looked at after market shops who wanted between $250 to $400 for the windscreen replacment. But, the Lexus glass cost ... are you ready.... $1200 to $1300 depending on which dealership was called. And that was not including the installation. Safelite came to my house and installed the Manufacturer (you must requesto OEM glass) windshscreen in my driveway. They are pretty cool about it. The insurance covered most of it, and I paid the deductible.

BTW ..., I noticed that the shadow dots around the mirror and rain sensor on the windscreen cover a much larger area. I would guess about twice as much area is covered by those dots as the original windscreen. Just curiuos if anyone knows the reason for this ???

Last edited by ADVocate; 09-27-06 at 03:42 PM. Reason: An additional thought ...
Old 09-27-06, 06:56 PM
Joel888
Driver

ADV, so safelite technician was able to put back everything at your driveway on the new windshield like rain sensor, etc?
Old 09-27-06, 07:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ADV, so safelite technician was able to put back everything at your driveway on the new windshield like rain sensor, etc?
Joel.....

The procedure is the same whether it is done in someone's driveway or the company's place of business.

~ Cap
Old 09-27-06, 08:44 PM
Joel888
Driver

Cap, what I was trying to say...is the technician has the know-how to put back the rain sensor (for wiper) properly?
Old 09-28-06, 05:34 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GEICO fixed ours. Our insurance coverage includes glass replacement/repair. The chip was small, and the company that GEICO used even went to my wife's job to do the work. Evidently, some type of epoxy sealer is used. The chip was at eye level and now it's gone completely.
Old 09-28-06, 07:56 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

This is exactly why I wanted to see if I could get the chip fixed before resorting to a windshield replacement. I didn't want a non-Lexus person messing around with the sensor and etc. It freaks me out.

CV
Old 09-28-06, 09:56 AM
Salvator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our installer came to our house and did it in our garage... no muss, no fuss, everything works and looks as before... IIRC, the mounts for the rain sensor are already glued to glass, so its just something they have to transfer from the old to the new... moved our inspection sticker and county sticker as well, again without issue...

Something to remember... if you have it done at the office or at home, there is a "cure" period where you have to wait for the glue to cure before you can drive the car... if you don't wait long enough, its considered a safety hazard, because in a frontal impact, the passenger airbag could blow out the windshield... Most of the mobile installers use a fast setting glue so that this is not an impact (no pun intended ) however if you go with some cheapo company, that may not be the case... buyer beware!