GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Chip in the GX window...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 07:55 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Chip in the GX window...

Any of you experienced a chip in your winshield? How did you fix it...who did you use?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

CV
Old 09-26-06, 09:04 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I have had 3 of them fixed. Seems like the glass on the GX is very easy to chip!! I have gone through my insurance company and they don't charge anything, which is very nice! They use Safelite Auto glass and they did a very good job. Hope that helps!
Old 09-26-06, 09:56 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Yep, I have had 3 of them fixed. Seems like the glass on the GX is very easy to chip!! I have gone through my insurance company and they don't charge anything, which is very nice! They use Safelite Auto glass and they did a very good job. Hope that helps!
Did you go to them or did they go to you?

I've seen a few companies that have mobile units.

CV
Old 09-26-06, 10:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the Safelite windshield an acoustic windshield like the OEM? If not, do you notice any increase in noise?
Old 09-26-06, 10:10 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, got an appointment for tomorrow. They come to you so I don't have to do anything. I am paying out of pocket. $60....not too bad I guess.

CV
Old 09-26-06, 10:53 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is the Safelite windshield an acoustic windshield like the OEM? If not, do you notice any increase in noise?
Gman, they are talking about filling an external chip (divit!) in the windshield, not a replacement of the windshield.

Will be no effect on the acoustic properties.

The fill is a small amount of an optically clear liquid acryclic polymer (or something like that) that is applied under pressure while it sets up.
Old 09-26-06, 11:14 AM
Salvator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Okay, got an appointment for tomorrow. They come to you so I don't have to do anything. I am paying out of pocket. $60....not too bad I guess.

CV
I used these guys... www.chipdr.com and called my insurance company... the insurance covered the $50... The repaired chip is barely noticeable and has held up well the last couple of years ( I wish my windshield would break now (this is on my daily driver BMW) because the glass is so pitted (almost 100K miles) I can barely see out when the sun hits it... )
Old 09-26-06, 12:34 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Salvator
I used these guys... www.chipdr.com and called my insurance company... the insurance covered the $50... The repaired chip is barely noticeable and has held up well the last couple of years ( I wish my windshield would break now (this is on my daily driver BMW) because the glass is so pitted (almost 100K miles) I can barely see out when the sun hits it... )
Well, my wife wrecked her jeep twice in the last month so I don't even want to bother with the insurance company.

CV
Old 09-26-06, 01:49 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Well, my wife wrecked her jeep twice in the last month so I don't even want to bother with the insurance company.

CV
Bummer! Safelite has a mobil unit that comes to your location. Insurance pays 100% and it does not count against you, I guess because it is cheaper to fix the chip than replace the windshield.
Old 09-26-06, 02:18 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Windshield

When I got a chip in my windshield, I refused to have it fixed, paid a small deductible and got a new windshield. With the new windshield it felt like a new car. I was very happy with my decision.

~ Cap
Old 09-27-06, 05:22 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Bummer! Safelite has a mobil unit that comes to your location. Insurance pays 100% and it does not count against you, I guess because it is cheaper to fix the chip than replace the windshield.
Yep, they are coming to me today!

CV
Old 09-27-06, 05:24 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
When I got a chip in my windshield, I refused to have it fixed, paid a small deductible and got a new windshield. With the new windshield it felt like a new car. I was very happy with my decision.

~ Cap
I would have done that in a second had my wife not used the insurance twice last month with 2 accidents. Thus, $60 out of my pocket isn't too bad I guess. However, if I don't like the results, I am going to file to get a new windshield.

CV
Old 09-27-06, 09:08 AM
Joel888
Driver

Unhappy

CV,

I also got a chip on mine a month ago, just heard a pop sound and noticed 2 little chips and cracks (see photo).

I took it to Safelite near my place and the guy repaired it in less than 10 minutes. At first I thought they did a good job as it was not noticable after the repair, but after a few rain storms and wiper going back and forth, the chips become noticable again (seems like a tiny piece of those injected compound came off).

Now I am thinking to bring it back to Safelite to have them redo it again, but not sure if they would mess up...
Attached Thumbnails Chip in the GX window...-dsc01312.jpg  
Old 09-27-06, 09:09 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Default Fixed.

Okay, well they fixed it...still a little blemish visible but all the spider webbing is out of it. looks like a small dot now. It looks about 90% better and is 110% stronger than original. We'll see how much it drives me nutts as the time goes on.

CV
Old 09-27-06, 09:10 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joel888
CV,

I also got a chip on mine a month ago, just heard a pop sound and noticed 2 little chips and cracks (see photo).

I took it to Safelite near my place and the guy repaired it in less than 10 minutes. At first I thought they did a good job as it was not noticable after the repair, but after a few rain storms and wiper going back and forth, the chips become noticable again (seems like a tiny piece of those injected compound came off).

Now I am thinking to bring it back to Safelite to have them redo it again, but not sure if they would mess up...

Hmmm, interesting. I'll let you know if mine changes at all. btw, the photo is BEFORE you got it fixed, right? Also, your looks alot worse than mine did!

CV

Quick Reply: Chip in the GX window...