GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk TSB being cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 08:10 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rho72
If you browse through the clunk fix TSIB discussion thread, the vast majority of GX owners who've had the TSIB done have not complained about the clunk coming back. In fact, I don't recall off hand anyone posting on that discussion thread that the clunk has persisted after the TSIB was completed. I would argue that the TSIB has fixed the clunk problem for most GX owners (at least who post on CL), myself included.
If you read this whole thread, you will notice that Cap said his clunks once in a while and he had the TSB done. So, you are not correct in your statement.

CV
Old 10-03-06, 08:11 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amul
I posted this same issue I had with my 98 4 runner a year back , and to my surprise, greasing the zerts fixed my problem. I just make the effort to pack the zerts every two oil changes. It takes five minutes and the problem may never re-occur as long as these fittings are greased.

If this is a design flaw, it would have been corrected a long time ago? I think Toyota engineers are not idiots and the fact that you will have shaft angles only adds to the equation of complexity.
This is exactly what I am saying...

CV
Old 10-03-06, 09:34 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Bob.....

They may have very well added another grease fitting, but according to the invoice, it clearly shows that a new drive shaft was installed, I'll look for the extra fitting next time I get the truck serviced.

~ Cap
Cap,

Looking at your invoice, it seems you didn't get the rear control arm kit? Your dealer didn't do the TSB properly. The control arms position the rear properly, half the problem.

The real test:

Put the truck in drive, leave your foot on the brake firmly, lower and raise the rear fully with the air suspension switch. Hear a thud and feel binding as the rear of the car moves up and down? If you do, you got it. You need to either grease the driveshaft and live with it -or- get a dealer to properly carry out the TSB.

I have never and will never grease the driveshaft on my GX. It is ridiculous to have to do that to a 50K car. I paid that much not to have to worry about these problems. That's what the dealer is for. I'm convinced my truck was fixed right. Hope you all can get the same treatment from your dealer. Keep fighting the fight, and good luck.

Lou
OIF VET
42nd ID
"Convicts"
Never forget
Old 10-03-06, 10:03 AM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
If you read this whole thread, you will notice that Cap said his clunks once in a while and he had the TSB done. So, you are not correct in your statement.

CV
I was referring to the main clunk TSIB thread. I do not see many people complaining about the clunk returning after the TSIB fix, as you have stated in previous comments. I believe it is your statement that is incorrect.
Old 10-03-06, 07:30 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rho72
I was referring to the main clunk TSIB thread. I do not see many people complaining about the clunk returning after the TSIB fix, as you have stated in previous comments. I believe it is your statement that is incorrect.
I have over 17k miles post TSB fix and NO CLUNK. I have had every fix to date, and it seems the most recent one has worked..........and I don't baby my truck. I ride it very hard with alot of braking and fast starts, so I am convinced this one works.
Old 10-04-06, 10:10 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou19

Cap,

Looking at your invoice, it seems you didn't get the rear control arm kit? Your dealer didn't do the TSB properly. The control arms position the rear properly, half the problem.

Lou
OIF VET
42nd ID
"Convicts"
Never forget
Lou.....

Today, I stopped by South Bay Lexus and told the Service Manager that only a partial fix was done and asked him if he could do the Upgraded TSIB on the clunk.

He informed that as of a couple of days ago, there was a halt on all attempts to fix the clunck. He is waiting for another updated TSIB. I told him that I didn't want to run out of warranty. He said not to worry, that Lexus warrants all problems that were not taken care of during the original warranty period.

He told me to remind him about the fix next time I bring in the care for service. We shall see......

~ Cap
Old 10-05-06, 09:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would make sure the dealer document the problem and you have a copy of it.
Old 10-05-06, 02:59 PM
cgwelder
Driver School Candidate

Had mine fixed two weeks ago, in Eugene, Or. Problem is gone. 2005 GX Sport. Sorry to hear it is being cancelled.

cgwelder
Old 10-06-06, 07:45 AM
commack4
Driver

Originally Posted by spikehuang
Six weeks ago, I submitted my GX for Lexus of Austin to order parts to fix the clunk.

I followed up with a call since they said the parts would be availabe in 3 weeks. I was told by the dealer that this TSB is being revolked as of yesterday. Wondering if anyone is getting the same message?
I CHECKED FOR THE STATUS OF THE PARTS TODAY, AFTER WAITING 4 WEEKS, AND I WAS ADVISED THAT THEY WERE TOLD BY LEXUS THAT THE PARTS ARE NOW BEING REVISED AND THEY HAVE NO IDEA AS TO THE EXPECTED DATE OF DELIVERY. "AS SOON AS WE HEAR SOMETHING, WE WILL GIVE YOU A CALL". HE CONFIRMED THATY I WAS "ON THE LIST". FOR AN INVESTMENT WELL IN EXCESS OF $50,000, THIS IS NONSENSE!
Old 10-16-06, 10:55 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

What a mess this is all is. $50K+ for a vehicle that clunks is unacceptable. I have never had this experience with much lesser cost vehicles.

Because of this great CL forum, I got mine fixed 4 months ago with the TSB and it's been smooth every since. Anything less than the original TSB may seem like a short cut or a temporary solution.
Old 10-17-06, 08:13 AM
Salvator
Driver

No new word from my SA as to the status of my control arms (he said the driveshaft was in, but not the control arms...) I know they normally hold onto parts for 21 days, maybe I'll call him and see if I should go ahead and come in for the driveshaft or wait it out...
Old 10-17-06, 12:10 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

Originally Posted by commack4
FOR AN INVESTMENT WELL IN EXCESS OF $50,000, THIS IS NONSENSE!
Actually viewing a car as an investment is nonsense.
Old 10-18-06, 08:20 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Touche'

Originally Posted by lexusdr
Actually viewing a car as an investment is nonsense.
insightful .... and in perspective.
Old 10-18-06, 08:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It is not a investment, unless you think that the GX will be classic in the future.
Old 10-18-06, 09:58 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Even if it was considered as a classic, i doubt the return on it would be any better than putting the same cash in a steady growth fund for the time it takes for a car to be considered as a "classic"

Quick Reply: Clunk TSB being cancelled?