GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Which one?
Acura MDX new model
23.53%
Lexus GX 470
70.59%
Mercedes Benz GL
5.88%
Other
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

2007 acura mdx vs gx vs buick enclave vs mb gl450

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 06:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is no torque steering on the MDX, when you accelerate, it goes into 4WD mode. The Main problem with the MDX is built quality and the cheap interior, and the MDX is not even close compare to the GX as far as 4WD capability. If the new MDX is any thing like the 01 MDX, which is a 1st year model too. I will not even consider it. The 01 had tons of problems, too many to mention, it took Acura almost 4 years to address the more serious ones like the overheating transmission. Stay away from 1st year Honda trucks.
Old 10-03-06, 06:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yes the old MDX interior is pretty crappy by todays standards a new civic has a better interior but its improved substantially. MDX is more geared towards on road handling than the GX as it competes against the X5 and Cayenne, as far as AWD capability GX would probably be better off road and MDX on road SH-AWD is meant for on road, and we dont go off road. Just whatever the buyer prefers. I think its a bit unfair to compare a brand new vehicle and a near 4 year old one but thats all thats available. 08/09 GX570 vs 08 MDX would be a more fair comparison but thats far away

Trying to get my mom to consider the MDX as shes been looking at used GX for high 30s-42k and these dont seem to have much options, when a Sport/Tech MDX is 46. I dont feel comfortable with her buying a SUV that might be redesigned in 2008. Yes acura had some major tranny problems back in the 00-03 years with the TL and others. I havent heard of any major problems in the current gen of vehicles

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-03-06 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-03-06, 08:01 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These cars aren't even in the same category.

MDX- unibody, 6 cylinder, on-road suv, as much as i love Honda, they make crappy suvs and trucks. (should be compared to an RX350)

Buick- no comment

GL- eh, it's a "tough" unibody suv, but it should be looked at as a full size suv.
more street than off-road. (i'd compare this to a QX56, Escalade, Navi)

vehicles i would compare the GX to:

LR LR3- despite their repuatation with resale value and unreliability, i like the LR3. comes with great features, more capable off-road than the 3 choices above.

4Runner Limited V8 4X4 with XREAS- this is the one to have other than the GX. legendary reliability, same chassis as the GX, true 4x4, not a unibody (like the GX), XREAS is an amazing onroad enhancement (probably out handle the MDX), and cheaper than the GX

Of course this is imho. Not everyone has the same needs in a vehicle, but if a ruggedly built, super reliable, super luxerious vehicle is what you're looking for, than the GX might fit the bill

Dan
Old 10-03-06, 09:24 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow after 2 pages the original poster hasn't returned to comment?

Out of the three, I'm still sticking to my GX.

MDX + = 3rd row folds flat down. GX doesn't
GL 450 = No more MB product (unless it's a CL-my opinion.)
Buick = No thanks, even thoughtheir products have improved greatly

One thing I learned before even buying a car is calling in their service dept. and see how they treat you. Yes, you can buy a car at one dealer and take it to another dealer for service but when both, or it's the only dealership around, or other surrounding dealerships have horrible service, you're going to be stuck with the frustration.

This goes for any car maker.
Old 10-03-06, 01:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
These cars aren't even in the same category.

MDX- unibody, 6 cylinder, on-road suv, as much as i love Honda, they make crappy suvs and trucks. (should be compared to an RX350)

Dan
I second that opinion, Honda just dont know how to make trucks and SUVs.
Old 10-03-06, 09:20 PM
rleggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool sorry to be away..

i really like lexus in general...but the few "annoyances" of the gx, are not to my liking...the barn door, the third row-space/non fold flat,..etc..those are important, as i mentioned before i need a spacious third row for my inlaws that will be me with me for a few months..plus the kids....

disappointed that lexus is not going to have diesel versions of their suv's in the usa.....

hope the upcoming jx is going to be nice?...

the acura mdx does seem promising...good reliability, pretty nice interior, third row not as cramped as the gx..but adequate enough...i think...better mpg..

the gl450- really nice..spacious third row, but don't know how mb reliability is these days, though everyone is telling me that it is way overblown?..thing of the past?..improving quite well?...i do like the fact that mb will have a diesel version getting 18/28..?...but the price is quite steep...>70k...ouch!

don't know much about the upcoming enclave by buick...though heard the interior is impeccable...?.lexus like?..spacious?...reliability?.

well guys, what do you think..according to the poll, looks like you all like the gx overall...so do i , its just that i don't know if it will be practical for me though?...

just for fun..what do guys think of the honda pilot? upcoming highlander?..cx-9?...

again sorry for the late reply...being a doctor is busy..and just found out i got accepted to my fellowship @ northwestern!!....chi-town here i come..
Old 10-03-06, 10:16 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the new MDX has SH-AWD standard
Yes SH-AWD is nothing like traditional AWD. Not only torque can be adjusted between front and rear, power can be delivered 100% to left and right.
Old 10-04-06, 09:33 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by rleggs
as i mentioned before i need a spacious third row for my inlaws that will be me with me for a few months..
The most spacious 3rd row I came across was in the LR3... I'm 6' tall and not particularly svelte, and was still able to sit comfortably in the third row... I've never even tried to sit in the 3rd of the GX, and my wife (who is 5' tall) has sat back there, and says its not bad, but she wouldn't want to travel for more than an hour back there...

The LR3 has alot going for it... capability, price, content, the spacious 3rd row... the downside is that they have had a number of issues that have left people stranded... mostly electronic glitches, but ones that cause the vehicle to go into fault mode, and not start or run in limp mode... Perhaps they have improved in the last 6 months or so... I know my local LR dealer keeps sending me "come-ons" offering thousands below MSRP, so perhaps it is again something to consider... maybe you could lease and LR3, and then after your in-laws are gone, determine whether it is suiting your needs or not, and find something else to take its place...
Old 10-04-06, 12:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rleggs
the acura mdx does seem promising...good reliability, pretty nice interior, third row not as cramped as the gx..but adequate enough...i think...better mpg..
I had a 03 MDX, although the engine never fail, I had alot of common problems with things that cannot be fix by the dealer. Not sure about the new MDX, but the GX's interior is much nicer than the old MDX. The MDX are poorly built, I would definitely stay away from the new MDX for the first two years. The 3rd row seats are only a bit bigger in the MDX, I would not put my in laws back there, unless you guys dont get along lol. BTW, my GX now gets about 0.5 MPG less than the MDX, not bad at all for a V8.
If you want a true 7 seater, you need to look at the GL450 or some other full size SUV, maybe LS470.
Old 10-14-06, 02:53 PM
Nas
Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Ummmm

This is a GX site so I am confused...

CV

I'm confused about a Buick Enclave being a competitor to Lexus, MB, and Acura.

It depends how much you want to spend. A Loaded MB will be 15-20k more than a GX/Acura. All of them are fine cars, but the GX provides more power and luxury than the Acura, and more reliability than the MB. Test drive them all. Remember the MB is HUGE. Escalade size.
Old 10-16-06, 08:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The old MDX has the same amount of horse power as the GX and the new MDX actually have more horsepower than the GX and its much faster from 0-60 MPH. The GX has more towing power.