GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wierd Noise from rear that sounds like a compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 09:27 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sayadil
hey cv
few weeks ago i had a post up where i was experiencing that my rear hieght was too high and the car would not go down (leak air) when i use to exit the car... but then i mentioned it started working after month on its own and the hieght was normal again.
In your post above you mentioned u have set it to AUTO... how do you do that... may be mine wasn't auto or i unknowingly took it off AUTo. pls advice.
thanks.
I think it is set to auto by default. As I turn it off when the car was running and the 'off' light was on, but when I turned the car off and started it again the 'off' light was no longer on. So from my experience I think the auto height leveling is always on auto and resets back to auto even after you manually turn it off once the engine is restarted. This semms to be true for my 06, but do not know if this is true for all model years.
Old 10-06-06, 05:44 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sayadil
hey cv
few weeks ago i had a post up where i was experiencing that my rear hieght was too high and the car would not go down (leak air) when i use to exit the car... but then i mentioned it started working after month on its own and the hieght was normal again.
In your post above you mentioned u have set it to AUTO... how do you do that... may be mine wasn't auto or i unknowingly took it off AUTo. pls advice.
thanks.
Adil

I think that it is defaultly on Auto...I know that if I override the Auto feature and raise the truck as soon as I hit 8mph or so, it goes back to auto and resets the height to Normal. So, if this is so, I really don't understand why we have the override feature. If I am going camping and going through high water or something, I like to raise the back end up. I also raise it up when going down a steep decline offroad so the trailor hitch doesn't drag when the ground flattens out. However, it makes no sense as to why it should reset itself. I think that the manual talks about this a little bit and at what speeds the system resets itself. Look at that for a technically sound explanation.

Good luck,
CV
Old 10-06-06, 05:45 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.2K
I think it is set to auto by default. As I turn it off when the car was running and the 'off' light was on, but when I turned the car off and started it again the 'off' light was no longer on. So from my experience I think the auto height leveling is always on auto and resets back to auto even after you manually turn it off once the engine is restarted. This semms to be true for my 06, but do not know if this is true for all model years.

I think that Lexus wants it in Auto by default. As I said to Adil, the manual goes into why it does this.

CV
Old 10-06-06, 08:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The switch is high low and auto.
Old 10-06-06, 12:43 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The switch is high low and auto.
Mine has an off button on the bottom of the control switch.

CV
Old 10-08-06, 09:55 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Mine has an off button on the bottom of the control switch.

CV
yeh i have that off button as well. The off feature only works while ur driving very slow.. once u go over 8mph off sign resets again.
Old 10-08-06, 02:47 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I took the GX to the dealer and yes the sound was not normal. It was just too loud. When the dealer installed the hitch they didn't do it correctly and the compressor or the part that adjusts the auto leveling was rubbing against the hitch and whenever the auto leveling feature would activate it would rattle against the hitch and make a overly loud noise. All is well now and I can barely hear it if at all while driving.