GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wierd Noise from rear that sounds like a compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 04:03 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wierd Noise from rear that sounds like a compressor

There seems to be a wierd compressor type of noise coming from the rear of the GX. It happens intermittently and sometimes while driving ans sometimes in idle. Is this sounds normal and part of the rear height adjustment? I have not touched the height adjustment except to test it out and make sure it was working and all was fine. It is usually left on and in the normal position. Please shed some light on this for me before I take this to the dealer. Thank you.
Old 10-01-06, 05:38 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.2K
There seems to be a wierd compressor type of noise coming from the rear of the GX. It happens intermittently and sometimes while driving ans sometimes in idle. Is this sounds normal and part of the rear height adjustment? I have not touched the height adjustment except to test it out and make sure it was working and all was fine. It is usually left on and in the normal position. Please shed some light on this for me before I take this to the dealer. Thank you.
Nothing to worry about Doc, it is a compressor. Since the GX uses pneumatic cylinders for it's rear suspension, they do have a tendancy to leak a lil air here and there as well as level the ride if there is added weight loaded.

Dan
Old 10-01-06, 05:42 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thank you purplehazek4 for your response. I was reading up on my searches for wierd rear end noise and only saw the 'clunk' noise people here are complaining about. No such clunking in my GX but I wanted to make sure the 'compressor' like noise was normal. Thanks.
Old 10-02-06, 05:19 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
Nothing to worry about Doc, it is a compressor. Since the GX uses pneumatic cylinders for it's rear suspension, they do have a tendancy to leak a lil air here and there as well as level the ride if there is added weight loaded.

Dan
Yep

After starting your GX, lower the GX. After it is all the way down, click the height setting all the way up. Get out of the GX and watch and listen to the rear end. Rather cool!

CV
Old 10-02-06, 08:45 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thanks CV, I tried it this morning and it did make the same noise. However, why is this happening. I would think once it is set at a certain level it should stay there. What happens then you press the off button? Will it stop adjusting itself automatically?

I thought about this for some time today and realized that this only started happening after I had the tow hitch installed by the dealer. Could it be that GX thinks that the tow hitch is added weight and is self correcting for this? If this is the case shouldn't the dealer have made adjustments for this on the GX after the tow hitch was installed? Can someone with a tow hitch confirm or shed some light on this. Thank you.
Old 10-02-06, 09:10 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's fine Doc, pneumatic cylinders leak a lil air here and there.

Dan
Old 10-03-06, 08:17 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.2K
Thanks CV, I tried it this morning and it did make the same noise. However, why is this happening. I would think once it is set at a certain level it should stay there. What happens then you press the off button? Will it stop adjusting itself automatically?

I thought about this for some time today and realized that this only started happening after I had the tow hitch installed by the dealer. Could it be that GX thinks that the tow hitch is added weight and is self correcting for this? If this is the case shouldn't the dealer have made adjustments for this on the GX after the tow hitch was installed? Can someone with a tow hitch confirm or shed some light on this. Thank you.
Load leveling is your answer...and pneumatic cylinders do leak a little air here and there. I have mine set on automatic and everytime I get out of the truck when I turn her off she releases some air and goes down a bit. All I can think is that the GX is adding air depending on your speed and etc. to level the load. I did take a vacation with the GX this past summer and had the rear end full and it did let out a lot more air when I made a pit stop. Your hitch may be the reason...it is added weight in the back. Depending on the amount of weight and distribution it will add air as it needs on auto.

However, nonetheless, my GX lets out air everytime I turn her off and get out...mine is set on auto.

CV
Old 10-03-06, 08:31 AM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Thank you both for your replies as it brings me some piece of mind.
Old 10-03-06, 09:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

It's also lowered to get in and out easier.
Old 10-03-06, 01:49 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470

However, nonetheless, my GX lets out air everytime I turn her off and get out...mine is set on auto.

CV
My old 05 GX and now my 06 GX, had/have the tow hitch, but I never hear any air releasing after I exit the vehicle. It also always looks like it sits at the same height whether its empty or loaded down with 10 bags (400 lbs.)of topsoil.
Old 10-04-06, 05:51 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
My old 05 GX and now my 06 GX, had/have the tow hitch, but I never hear any air releasing after I exit the vehicle. It also always looks like it sits at the same height whether its empty or loaded down with 10 bags (400 lbs.)of topsoil.
Yep, mine always releases air after I turn it off. Your GX should be the same height with or without 400lbs in the rear. That means that the load leveling system is working.

CV
Old 10-05-06, 03:48 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing after the trailer hitch install - never really could hear it until the trailer hitch was put on - what happened is the compresser is mounted on rubber grommits right beside the trailer hitch and when the hitch went on it pinched part of the compressor mount under the hitch and was making direct contact with the hitch and then started making a lot more noise when running. I am guessing they either caught part of the mount under the hitch or just bent it enough to cause contact with the hitch or something and it resonates the sound more now. It probably isn't running any more than it ever did, you can just hear it now. I took mine back and they fixed it so it wasn't contacting the hitch and all is good now and I cannot hear it running anymore from inside the car.

Rob
Old 10-05-06, 08:37 AM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Wow, good to know I will take it to the dealer and have it looked at. Thank you rklages!
Old 10-05-06, 05:03 PM
rklages
Pole Position

no prob - sounds like you ahve my problem - it is a tight fit between the compressor and the hitch - if you look under, you will probably see that they pinched the corner of the mount under the hitch eliminating the isolation the rubber provided, or it is just touching it - suddenly you can hear the compressor very clearly in and out of the car without the vibration isolation!

Took me a week to figure out where the noise was coming from!

Rob
Old 10-05-06, 07:40 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Load leveling is your answer...and pneumatic cylinders do leak a little air here and there. I have mine set on automatic and everytime I get out of the truck when I turn her off she releases some air and goes down a bit. All I can think is that the GX is adding air depending on your speed and etc. to level the load. I did take a vacation with the GX this past summer and had the rear end full and it did let out a lot more air when I made a pit stop. Your hitch may be the reason...it is added weight in the back. Depending on the amount of weight and distribution it will add air as it needs on auto.

CV

hey cv
few weeks ago i had a post up where i was experiencing that my rear hieght was too high and the car would not go down (leak air) when i use to exit the car... but then i mentioned it started working after month on its own and the hieght was normal again.
In your post above you mentioned u have set it to AUTO... how do you do that... may be mine wasn't auto or i unknowingly took it off AUTo. pls advice.
thanks.

Quick Reply: Wierd Noise from rear that sounds like a compressor