GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

TOTAL MILES in 1 FULL TANK

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 06:21 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I said that! Glad to be of service...my Dad taught me that.

CV
CVsGX470 your dad was a very wise man. I never really thought about his idea, but that single idea has helped a lot in my calculations. (I am a stickler about gas milage and check it after every fill up). So thank your dad for making my life easier...and more accurate!
Old 10-11-06, 08:19 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by super_cjc
330 - 360 mpg.
Shell 93.
Tire pressure 35 psi.
Recommended tire pressue is 32 PSI 35 psi whether improoves the economy or not... it surely makes the ride more bumpier.
Old 10-12-06, 10:35 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sayadil
Recommended tire pressue is 32 PSI 35 psi whether improoves the economy or not... it surely makes the ride more bumpier.
Not sure what tires super_cjc has, but on the Michelin Cross Terrains 35 PSI the ride and road feel isn't the least bit bumpy or jittery like one normally expects when inflating to the max recommended pressure. In fact, at 33-34 PSI those tires almost look under-inflated when you look at the contact area, and still look none-too-inflated even at 35. Seems that they are different in this regard to car tires I'm used to....

On the subject of inflation pressures, I've read (on some tire sidewalls) that the "maximum inflation pressure only applies in the United States (or maybe it said North America). I don't know exactly what that means, but it seems to indicate that the maximum inflation figure is determined by a law or regulation as opposed to what's safe or ideal for the tire.... I saw this on a tire with a maximum inflation pressure of 44 PSI.
Old 10-12-06, 10:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My dealer pumps my tires up to 35 PSI everytime I get an oil change. The cross terrains are very smooth at 35 PSI and they do still look a bit under inflated. The same may not be true if you have the Bridgestone or the Grand trak.
Old 10-12-06, 07:17 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Not sure what tires super_cjc has, but on the Michelin Cross Terrains 35 PSI the ride and road feel isn't the least bit bumpy or jittery like one normally expects when inflating to the max recommended pressure. In fact, at 33-34 PSI those tires almost look under-inflated when you look at the contact area, and still look none-too-inflated even at 35. Seems that they are different in this regard to car tires I'm used to....

On the subject of inflation pressures, I've read (on some tire sidewalls) that the "maximum inflation pressure only applies in the United States (or maybe it said North America). I don't know exactly what that means, but it seems to indicate that the maximum inflation figure is determined by a law or regulation as opposed to what's safe or ideal for the tire.... I saw this on a tire with a maximum inflation pressure of 44 PSI.

Well whether the tire looks underinflated or overinflated, one should follow the car manufacturers recommended tire pressure (not maximum or minimum pressure tire suggests) which for GX is 32 PSI. (unless you have more then usual load in the car).

By the way... whichever tire (michelin or toyos etc) 32 would always ride smoother then 35.
Old 10-13-06, 06:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sayadil
Well whether the tire looks underinflated or overinflated, one should follow the car manufacturers recommended tire pressure ...
Which is exactly what led to the Firestone tire / Ford Explorer rollover debacle.

By the way... whichever tire (michelin or toyos etc) 32 would always ride smoother then 35.
But you may need sensitive test equipment to feel the difference between the Michelins at 32 and 35 because 35 is NOT stiff in the least on the Cross Terrains. IMO, one needs to keep in mind handling response, particularly with an SUV that is 'handling challenged' to begin with, and as Ford proved, chasing a little better ride through 'under-inflated' tires isn't a good idea. (Not saying that the GX at 32 PSI is under-inflated or dangerous -- just that there may be more things to consider than the PSI 'recommendation' from the vehicle manufacturer.)
Old 10-13-06, 09:27 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Which is exactly what led to the Firestone tire / Ford Explorer rollover debacle.

But you may need sensitive test equipment to feel the difference between the Michelins at 32 and 35 because 35 is NOT stiff in the least on the Cross Terrains. IMO, one needs to keep in mind handling response, particularly with an SUV that is 'handling challenged' to begin with, and as Ford proved, chasing a little better ride through 'under-inflated' tires isn't a good idea. (Not saying that the GX at 32 PSI is under-inflated or dangerous -- just that there may be more things to consider than the PSI 'recommendation' from the vehicle manufacturer.)

Don't know what the argument here is. but no matter which tire expert you ask for advice, he will tell you to always follow vehicle manufacturer suggested tire pressue usually shown on your door panel.
Most GX's Come with cross terrains now and the recommended pressue is still 32 PSI. A company like lexus (not ford) does lot of research so if they say 32 your better off following 32 (anyone can tell you that, you can ask tire rack if you want) and safety is obviously their main concern.
anythin over 32+1 technically would be considered over inflation and less then 32-1 would be under inflation for GX.
Follow the manual - not your opinion
Old 10-14-06, 08:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a big difference between the cross terrain and those cheapo firestone tires. I dont feel any difference going from 32 psi to 35 psi with the cross terrains. On the other hand, my wife's car which has Bridgestone duelers, you can feel the difference when I pump it up to 35 psi. The Cross Terrain are one of the best tires I have ever driven on. It is very forgiving if you put 35 psi into it. It is quiet, smooth, handles great in the rain, snow and dry condidtions. The thread wears are pretty good too for such as grippy tire.

Hey, the way I look at it, any time you install a mod in your car, you are not following manufacturer's recommandations.
Old 10-14-06, 10:05 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is a big difference between the cross terrain and those cheapo firestone tires. I dont feel any difference going from 32 psi to 35 psi with the cross terrains. On the other hand, my wife's car which has Bridgestone duelers, you can feel the difference when I pump it up to 35 psi. The Cross Terrain are one of the best tires I have ever driven on. It is very forgiving if you put 35 psi into it. It is quiet, smooth, handles great in the rain, snow and dry condidtions. The thread wears are pretty good too for such as grippy tire.

Hey, the way I look at it, any time you install a mod in your car, you are not following manufacturer's recommandations.

ok tell me one thing... if 32 is recommended why do you put 35 anyway? 32 being lower pressure would be closer to road surface giving you better traction more comfortable *smooth* drive (whether or not difference is little it will def be better) handling wouldn't b too different either. if michelins drove better with 35 and not 32 then lexus would have told us to put 35 i mean its OEM tire for GX now. Most people i know always put 1 psi less then manufacturer suggested pressure but deff not 3 more.

Not all mods r good for the car overall. infact most mods aren't good and thats why manufacturer condemns them. but things like tire pressue involve safety of the car itself... and when safety is concerned i would rather follow the manufacturer.

i mean purpose of my first post was to let you (n others) know that 32 is recommended for gx (by manufacturer as well as most tire experts out there) what you put in your car is your decision.
Old 10-15-06, 07:57 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about we get back on topic? Seems as if this has turned into a debate about tires and pressure.

CV
Old 10-15-06, 07:50 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
How about we get back on topic? Seems as if this has turned into a debate about tires and pressure.

CV
i know i know. i was just stressin out how important followin right tire pressure is... it improoves fuel economy and keep you safe.
by the way.. cv what pressue do you maintain.?