GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 12:08 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm confused here a little bit. First of all.. where's the button which locks the differential. i haven't seen the button yet.
Also when there's a snow storm..usually temp is not cold enough for black ice. so when i spoke about the gx doing a 180.. there was no ice on the road... just deep snow.. Plus North n east Canadian winters are worse then US.
winter tires r very good for snow but aren't fool proof when it comes to ICE (unless u get illigal iron studed ones).
While i do believe if driver is good he can pull off in any condition.. even with grandtrek tires but for most drivers out there buying a winter set would still be a safer alternative. Also i agree with u cv that GX is obviously better then any RWD only car. But am just sayin AWD has similar characterstics.

I'm going with blizzak this winter.

Hope this helps,
CV[/QUOTE]
Old 10-18-06, 12:11 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sayadil
Ok I'm confused here a little bit. First of all.. where's the button which locks the differential. i haven't seen the button yet.
Also when there's a snow storm..usually temp is not cold enough for black ice. so when i spoke about the gx doing a 180.. there was no ice on the road... just deep snow.. Plus North n east Canadian winters are worse then US.
winter tires r very good for snow but aren't fool proof when it comes to ICE (unless u get illigal iron studed ones).
While i do believe if driver is good he can pull off in any condition.. even with grandtrek tires but for most drivers out there buying a winter set would still be a safer alternative. Also i agree with u cv that GX is obviously better then any RWD only car. But am just sayin AWD has similar characterstics.

I'm going with blizzak this winter.

Hope this helps,
CV
[/QUOTE]

Without looking, i believe the differential lock button is next to the seat warmer switches.

CV
Old 10-18-06, 12:13 PM
Salvator
Driver

First of all.. where's the button which locks the differential. i haven't seen the button yet.
It's the button just in front of the gearshift / selector... looks like 4 wheels with an "X" in the middle, IIRC.

On my old LR Disco, it was not a button, but rather another lever that you had to move manually... it was a real pain to move when the vehicle was cold, like stirring cold molasses!
Old 10-18-06, 12:40 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

CV Thank you for your info. It does help a lot! I'm sorry I didn't know the difference between High, Low and Neutral. I knew that in order to shift into Low the GX would need to be in Neutral gear first and that it shouldn't be driven over 15mph. But I did not know that it was always in High. I have another question, hopefully not as dumb as my last one but here goes...when the GX is moving, why does the Low/High shift **** vibrate and not the normal gear shift? Is it because it is directly linked to the transmission? Thanks again.
Old 10-18-06, 03:28 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Josh's GX
...when the GX is moving, why does the Low/High shift **** vibrate and not the normal gear shift? Is it because it is directly linked to the transmission? Thanks again.
Yes.

The normal shift lever just controls electronic switches.

The smaller shift is a mechanical shifter linkage into the transmission (my understanding).
Old 10-18-06, 04:07 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Yes.

The normal shift lever just controls electronic switches.

The smaller shift is a mechanical shifter linkage into the transmission (my understanding).
loflin is correct.

CV
Old 10-19-06, 10:11 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

The button next to the Seat Warmers (with 4 wheels on it) is VSC off button. it shuts off the stability control system of the car and as far as i understand is not differential lock button...

any light on this.
Old 10-20-06, 04:44 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

The button next to the Seat Warmers (with 4 wheels on it) is VSC off button. it shuts off the stability control system of the car and as far as i understand is not differential lock button...

any light on this.
The button should look like a drive train with an, "x" in the middle of it. Yes, by default if you lock the differential it WILL turn off the VSC. What year is your GX? Maybe the button is different looking in your ride.

When you lock the differential, you are essentially turning the GX into an old school 4x4. You do this when you REALLY need the constant power to the wheels. Like I said, this also turns off the VSC. If you need to lock the diff, you don't want the VSC to interfere. It would be counter productive.

You can see the button to the left of the driver's seat warmer switch in this picture:

CV
Old 10-20-06, 05:00 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
The button should look like a drive train with an, "x" in the middle of it. Yes, by default if you lock the differential it WILL turn off the VSC. What year is your GX? Maybe the button is different looking in your ride.

When you lock the differential, you are essentially turning the GX into an old school 4x4. You do this when you REALLY need the constant power to the wheels. Like I said, this also turns off the VSC. If you need to lock the diff, you don't want the VSC to interfere. It would be counter productive.

You can see the button to the left of the driver's seat warmer switch in this picture:

CV

yeh i have the same button... so it locks the differential and turns off the vsc off... coz i thought it only turns the VSC off... not too much on the differential lock info on the manual..
also i notice when i turn off VSC in snow .. the car does slip alot more.... but i thought i would get more power n traction by locking the differential coz all four wheels get the power without the split but it drives even more like RWD with differential locked.
Old 10-20-06, 06:04 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

yeh i have the same button... so it locks the differential and turns off the vsc off... coz i thought it only turns the VSC off... not too much on the differential lock info on the manual..
also i notice when i turn off VSC in snow .. the car does slip alot more.... but i thought i would get more power n traction by locking the differential coz all four wheels get the power without the split but it drives even more like RWD with differential locked.
I think that manual talks about the VSC being turned off when the diff lock is engaged. Yeah, you actually get worse traction with it on because the VSC doesn't help you. HOWEVER, if you burried the GX in 6 inches of mud and really needed power, it would be great...

Personally, I don't have much use for locking the diff.

CV
Old 10-25-06, 01:37 PM
SacKen
Driver

I have driven with both the stock Bridgestones and Michelins around Lake Tahoe in winter... over icy roads and unplowed roads with 3-feet of fluffy white stuff in front of me. I've never had any problems or needed to do anything special like lock the differential.

Unless you go for studded tires, I don't see a reason to buy different tires.
Old 10-25-06, 10:50 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SacKen
I have driven with both the stock Bridgestones and Michelins around Lake Tahoe in winter... over icy roads and unplowed roads with 3-feet of fluffy white stuff in front of me. I've never had any problems or needed to do anything special like lock the differential.

Unless you go for studded tires, I don't see a reason to buy different tires.

Bridgestones or Michelins - Nothing works on ICEY roads.
Winter tires are Specifically for winters, snow mainly. If your Car drives good on allweather tires, it will drive BETTER with winter tires. It would brake substantialy quicker as well. By the way topic started with someone asking for advice as in which winter tire to go for ?
Again Lake Tahoe still doesn't get the kinda winter Quebec gets.
Old 10-26-06, 01:28 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bridgestones or Michelins - Nothing works on ICEY roads.
Winter tires are Specifically for winters, snow mainly. If your Car drives good on allweather tires, it will drive BETTER with winter tires. It would brake substantialy quicker as well. By the way topic started with someone asking for advice as in which winter tire to go for ?
Again Lake Tahoe still doesn't get the kinda winter Quebec gets.
Well maybe you don't get as much ice as Quebec, but a few times when I was at Lake Tahoe, the snow came down at 12" per hour, and it kept up for 5-6 hours at a time.
Old 10-27-06, 12:16 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Well maybe you don't get as much ice as Quebec, but a few times when I was at Lake Tahoe, the snow came down at 12" per hour, and it kept up for 5-6 hours at a time.
Bob that sounds like a storm to me. And obviously storms r very similar in most places. i mean i remember last yr i was in NY.. and they had this huge storm and it was crazy.
I was only talking about normal percipitation throughout the winters. Quebec generally would get lot more snow then lake tahoe or anything south of the border. (which is obviously nothing to boast about).

i'm just hoping people could give thier input on diff Winter Tires (not stock) they have used so people (like the one who started this topic) can make better buying decision.
Old 10-27-06, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyboby know of any good 24" winter tires, I want to pimp my GX out for the winter.

Quick Reply: winter tires