GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 06:17 PM
abaazov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires

hi guys, this will be my first winter with my gx470. anybody have any recommendations for winter tires? for what its worth, i live in montreal, quebec, so the winters are serious here.
thanks in advance as usual...
amnon
Old 10-14-06, 10:11 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by abaazov
hi guys, this will be my first winter with my gx470. anybody have any recommendations for winter tires? for what its worth, i live in montreal, quebec, so the winters are serious here.
amnon

well since i'm from canada as well.. and i know exactly what u mean. I suggest blizzak works good.
Old 10-15-06, 07:55 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abaazov
amnon
Unless you pimped your ride with 22s and got away from your original tires, your Michelen Crosstrains should be fine.

CV
Old 10-15-06, 07:52 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Unless you pimped your ride with 22s and got away from your original tires, your Michelen Crosstrains should be fine.

CV
cv... this is my first yr with 20's but i'm planing to put my stock back on in winters... and trust me with quebec snow.. u need winter tires... even toronto gets crazy
Old 10-16-06, 05:04 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
cv... this is my first yr with 20's but i'm planing to put my stock back on in winters... and trust me with quebec snow.. u need winter tires... even toronto gets crazy
Exactly...that is what I was saying. You SHOULD put at least your stock back on if you added 20's or 22's. The Michellens or Bridgstones should be fine with the snow.

CV
Old 10-16-06, 08:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

amnon,
I live in New England and the GX has handle every snow and ice storm so far, It has one of the best 4WD system I have ever driven on. Did your GX come with Cross Terrains? Those tires are very good in the snow. If I were you, I would try using those tires for the 1st year, use your 4WD lock if you have to. Chances are, you will not need snow tires.
Old 10-17-06, 12:47 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

CV i meant Stock Rims Back on... with prolly blizzak or the new goodyear Winter tires..not the stock tires.
u know CV.. last winters i was driving on a local street (leslie st) in toronto right after the storm.. i mean storm was in the day time and i was driving in the evening behind another White GX 470. And all of sudden The gX is front in front of me slipped and turned facing me on the other side of the road... at first i thought the driver was pulling a stunt but then i turned around and stopped beside him and asked him what happened and he told me the car just slipped .. i thought that was wierd for a car like this with so many gadgets slip so easily (it slipped like it slips in the canadian intro ad let it snow - youtube it) luckily for him nothing was coming from the other side. I don't remember what tires he had but he def had stocks on...

following service i mentioned it to my service advisor.. n he told me that even though the GX 470 is a 4 wheel drive it drives with R60-F40 split which drives just like a RWD (which is notorious when it comes to snow)... The system should distribute power and give more power to front in case of friction loss but dint know why that wasn't the case for above...he also advised that one should get winter tires none the less. Better safe then Sorry. but i mean crossterrains are allweathertires which r GOOD in every season.. but getting winter tires for winter season (like eastern canada's snow) are the safest choice.
Old 10-17-06, 01:14 PM
Salvator
Driver

following service i mentioned it to my service advisor.. n he told me that even though the GX 470 is a 4 wheel drive it drives with R60-F40 split which drives just like a RWD (which is notorious when it comes to snow)... The system should distribute power and give more power to front in case of friction loss but dint know why that wasn't the case for above...he also advised that one should get winter tires none the less. Better safe then Sorry.
I'm guessing you mean when its in AWD drive mode (diff unlocked) versus the button pushed and diff locked... Our old LR Disco exhibited the same behaviour... In AWD (normal running) in the snow, it would do a 180 whenever the rear end slipped out a little... it happened to me at least twice... once, out on a dirt road near our house (came down a slight hill and the rear end came around, and we ended up bass-ackward in a bush... luckily no damage...) the more frightening time was in town, crested a slight rise in the road, rear end started to step out, I overcorrected, started to go around the other way, overcorrected, finally snapped around again and we were heading in our initial direction of travel, backwards, and in the wrong lane... ended up sliding into a snow bank, narrowly missing a tree and a telephone pole (we slotted right between them)... OTOH, as soon as you locked the differential, it was solid as a rock... noticeably better feel (not just lack of slip) as you drove through the snow... I actually find this AWD "snap" action worse than driving in my RWD-only BMW... I had less drama keeping it on the road in a snowstorm (All-Season tires) than the LR in AWD mode... of course, thats what the 4WD is for...

BTW, I'm one of the unfortunate ones who got Dunlops on my GX... Will have to see how they handle the snow, they don't look very impressive to me...
Old 10-18-06, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If you have Dunlops or Bridgestone as OEM tires, they will not do good in the snow.
Old 10-18-06, 06:30 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you have Dunlops or Bridgestone as OEM tires, they will not do good in the snow.
I had Dunlops on the 4Runner and NEVER had any problems in the snow. Yes, some tires are better, but most of the time it is driver error.

CV
Old 10-18-06, 06:33 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

CV i meant Stock Rims Back on... with prolly blizzak or the new goodyear Winter tires..not the stock tires.
u know CV.. last winters i was driving on a local street (leslie st) in toronto right after the storm.. i mean storm was in the day time and i was driving in the evening behind another White GX 470. And all of sudden The gX is front in front of me slipped and turned facing me on the other side of the road... at first i thought the driver was pulling a stunt but then i turned around and stopped beside him and asked him what happened and he told me the car just slipped .. i thought that was wierd for a car like this with so many gadgets slip so easily (it slipped like it slips in the canadian intro ad let it snow - youtube it) luckily for him nothing was coming from the other side. I don't remember what tires he had but he def had stocks on...

following service i mentioned it to my service advisor.. n he told me that even though the GX 470 is a 4 wheel drive it drives with R60-F40 split which drives just like a RWD (which is notorious when it comes to snow)... The system should distribute power and give more power to front in case of friction loss but dint know why that wasn't the case for above...he also advised that one should get winter tires none the less. Better safe then Sorry. but i mean crossterrains are allweathertires which r GOOD in every season.. but getting winter tires for winter season (like eastern canada's snow) are the safest choice.
Adil, I am not disagreeing with you. However, nothing does well on ice. Ice trumps even the best tires. I am a big believer in driver error when it comes to winter. Yes, the GX may be 40/60 but that 40 in the front is still pulling WAY more than a 0/100 sports car.

That being said, I have never driven a Canadian winter, but I do drive a lot in the Ohio snow belt...Cleveland and etc.

CV
Old 10-18-06, 07:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, driver error does have something to do with it, but some tires are just better than others in the snow. There are countless people on the 4runner forum complaining about those Dunlop Grand Trash in the snow or rain.

Some tires are better than others on ice as well, it depends on the compound they use. The Bridgestone Blizzak use a silica compound which helps on ice, I believe the Cross Terrains use some version of that silica compound as well.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-18-06 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 09:01 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes, driver error does have something to do with it, but some tires are just better than others in the snow. There are countless people on the 4runner forum complaining about those Dunlop Grand Trash in the snow or rain.

Some tires are better than others on ice as well, it depends on the compound they use. The Bridgestone Blizzak use a silica compound which helps on ice, I believe the Cross Terrains use some version of that silica compound as well.
I'm not debating that there ARE tires out there that are great in the snow. I am merely saying that I survived 3 winters with my "Grandtrash" tires and was fine. It goes without saying that you can give an idiot the best tires and he will still end up in the ditch. You can also give a good driver okay tires and he/she will be fine.

CV
Old 10-18-06, 09:48 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Ok, I don't know a whole lot about the center diff. lock and the AWD system, versus Low and High 4WD. If I press the center diff. lock button until the light comes on, will I need to put the GX into Low or High? Or could I leave in in the neutral (AWD) mode? If I can leave it in neutral, will this give me better control of the GX in the snow/ice? I live in North Idaho and we get a little bit of snow; I used to drive an Olds. Bravada with all season tires and would do fine. Although stopping was a bit tough at times on the ice.
Old 10-18-06, 10:00 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Josh's GX
Ok, I don't know a whole lot about the center diff. lock and the AWD system, versus Low and High 4WD. If I press the center diff. lock button until the light comes on, will I need to put the GX into Low or High? Or could I leave in in the neutral (AWD) mode? If I can leave it in neutral, will this give me better control of the GX in the snow/ice? I live in North Idaho and we get a little bit of snow; I used to drive an Olds. Bravada with all season tires and would do fine. Although stopping was a bit tough at times on the ice.
Josh, if you are able to drive your GX above 15 mph, you are in High. If you are in neutral, the truck won't move. Thus, High = AWD normal mode. To go to Low (which you only want to do if you won't go above 15 mph and are stuck in mud or snow which High can't help you with) you need to shift the transmission into Neutral and then switch the 4WD lever to Neutral and then Low. Then you can shift your transmission back into Drive to continue on your way. REMEMBER...in order to switch from 4WD High to Low or Low to High, you always need to put the transmission into Neutral beforehand. The truck is in High during normal use...it is never in Neutral. Try it!

If you lock the center differential while in High or Low, you are essentially turning off the 40/60 AWD mode and locking all the wheels into drive. They will all spin at the same rate even if they are off the ground. NEVER lock the differential when the pavement is dry unless you plan on just going straight. ONLY lock the differential if you are stuck. If you are going to lock without being stuck, make sure you are in the snow or the pavement is wet. If you try and turn the GX at a slow speed with the differential locked, it will be hard to move.

Hope this helps,
CV

Quick Reply: winter tires