GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying new and larger wheels/tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 06:57 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new and larger wheels/tires?

Does anyone know a reputable site or Lexus dealer parts info on upgrading our standard 17 inch tires and wheels to "bigger and better" things such as 18 inch, 19 inch, or 20 inch chrome wheels with matching tires to boot that would support the GX's tire pressure monitoring system? I would love to have the chrome wheels with a stylish Lexus emblem on the center of the caps. The GX is such an impressive vehicle that it seems to need bigger tires and wheels. The new Cadillac Escalade supports upto 22 inch tires, and I was just thinking that something a little bigger than 17 inches would be great.
Old 11-12-06, 07:58 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Keep in mind that bigger tires/wheels means braking will suffer. When Lexus changed the LX wheels in '03 to 18", they also beefed-up the front brake calipers and changed the pad compound.
Old 11-13-06, 04:22 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow

Keep in mind that bigger tires/wheels means braking will suffer. When Lexus changed the LX wheels in '03 to 18", they also beefed-up the front brake calipers and changed the pad compound.
Jim.....

It shouldn't make any difference as long as the circumference of the replacement tire is within 3% of the size of the original tire.

You will see below the difference between the LX's 16" and 18" wheels.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Buying new and larger wheels/tires?-tiredif.gif  
Old 11-13-06, 12:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, if you stick to the same overall diameter for the tire, it shouldn't be that bad. I only mentioned it since I went up 10% once and braking sucked afterwards. Had to spend some $$ on modifying the braking system (higher performance rotors/pads/stainless hoses), then had to regear both diffs (more $$$). Look at the weight specs for the new wheels and tires. Remember that the further out the weight is from the center of the wheel, the worse off you are due to higher inertia (it's ROTATIONAL mass..harder to start getting it turning and to stop it from turning==> slower acceleration/braking, worse fuel economy). I'm not sure if cold forged wheels weigh less than cast for the same size? If so, it might be an argument for spending the extra $$.
Old 11-13-06, 02:34 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Does anyone know a reputable site or Lexus dealer parts info on upgrading our standard 17 inch tires and wheels to "bigger and better" things such as 18 inch, 19 inch, or 20 inch chrome wheels with matching tires to boot that would support the GX's tire pressure monitoring system? I would love to have the chrome wheels with a stylish Lexus emblem on the center of the caps. The GX is such an impressive vehicle that it seems to need bigger tires and wheels. The new Cadillac Escalade supports upto 22 inch tires, and I was just thinking that something a little bigger than 17 inches would be great.
I'm a huge proponent of nice aftermarket wheels and tires and tend to put them on almost every vehicle I buy. But keep in mind that the "upgrading" on the GX would likely be in appearance (in the eye of the beholder), and possibly handling if you select the right wheel and tire. Ride quality, acceleration, braking, and most likely handling are likely to be diminished. Probably 90% of all wheel and tire "upgrades" are actually performance downgrades. But you probably already know that, hence asking for a reputable dealer to help out...

Please post up pictures of whatever you end up with, and let us know how performance is impacted. Good luck.
Old 11-23-06, 10:56 PM
MEOHOANG
Driver School Candidate

hi i already change my wheel from 17" to 22" wheel , but it cost you gas less than about 50 mile a full tank
Old 11-23-06, 10:58 PM
MEOHOANG
Driver School Candidate

hi can any one show me how to put my car wheel picture on this thank
Old 11-24-06, 07:33 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MEOHOANG
Are those Lexus wheels, did you put Lexus wheel cover caps on them?
Old 11-24-06, 12:53 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

One of our wholesale accounts is a Lexus dealership in VA and they have purchased a few sets of Black Rhino wheels from us to mount on GX470's. They are load rated, accept the OEM tps and have nice design. The price is also reasonable. (too bad they have not sent pics).

As it is a dealership they went more moderate with the 20"

This is the wheel that they used, I hope this helps somewhat:

Old 11-24-06, 05:08 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEOHOANG
Hi Meo, and welcome to the GX forum!

To add one picture to a post, click Reply and write your post as usual. Scroll down and you will see "Additional Options", and under that it will say "attach Files" and a button that says "Manage Attachments".

You will be able to upload a picture file from your hard drive there. You should note there is a limit (specified in the list there) to the file size and picture size that you can upload. If you took the picture with a decent digital camera or scanner, you will probably need to reduce size and quality(file size) in order to upload. You should do this with one of your graphics programs before attempting to upload the photo.
Old 11-27-06, 06:25 AM
DeeVonn
Driver

i change my original 17' tyres on my Toyota Prado to
20" x 9,5 with Pirelli ATR 275/55/r20

i really recommend this upgrade,
the car now handle so much better
a tad firmer but still soft
and now i can comfortably and confidently drive up to 200 km/h on highway :P
Old 11-27-06, 02:29 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Here are my 22" wheels-with 305-40-22's. I am very happy with all aspects of this upgrade. Looks, road feel, handling are all much better. The ride is slightly stiffer, but I really like it...no more mushiness in the ride...much more stable at freeway speeds.
Attached Thumbnails Buying new and larger wheels/tires?-img_4723abc.jpg  
Old 11-27-06, 07:06 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Here are my 22" wheels-with 305-40-22's. I am very happy with all aspects of this upgrade. Looks, road feel, handling are all much better. The ride is slightly stiffer, but I really like it...no more mushiness in the ride...much more stable at freeway speeds.
I love your wheels. Is there a reputable place to buy similar ones and did anything have to be done special to install them? Does your Tire Pressure Monitoring System work with these?
Old 11-27-06, 10:58 PM
MEOHOANG
Driver School Candidate

Hello Here Is My Wheel 17" To 22" I Bought $ 2200 With Tire From Los Ageles
Attached Thumbnails Buying new and larger wheels/tires?-dsc02254.jpg  
Old 11-27-06, 11:05 PM
MEOHOANG
Driver School Candidate

I Just Custom My Muffer $ 450 , Manaflow
Attached Thumbnails Buying new and larger wheels/tires?-dsc03416.jpg  

Quick Reply: Buying new and larger wheels/tires?