GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Picking up a new GX Sport tomorrow -- couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06 | 10:41 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Default Picking up a new GX Sport tomorrow -- couple questions

Picking up a silver/black GX w/KDSS, Levinson/Nav, etc. Unfortunately it doesn't have the DVD option. We're going ahead w/it under the assumption that we can rig up a DVD setup for our Daughter in the back seat.

? What are people using for rear seat DVD w/o the factory option?
? Is there any way to hack into the factory DVD player video out as the "source" for the DVD?

Thanks for any tips!

Scott.
Old 11-19-06 | 11:31 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Picking up a silver/black GX w/KDSS, Levinson/Nav, etc. Unfortunately it doesn't have the DVD option. We're going ahead w/it under the assumption that we can rig up a DVD setup for our Daughter in the back seat.

? What are people using for rear seat DVD w/o the factory option?
? Is there any way to hack into the factory DVD player video out as the "source" for the DVD?

Thanks for any tips!

Scott.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SoUf2qQ...635VLCOMB1#Tab

This looks interesting, and affordable. IIRC the '07s have a mini-jack input into the system for an I-Pod. Wondering if I can use this as an "aux" jack for a portable DVD Player
Old 11-20-06 | 09:05 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SoUf2qQ...635VLCOMB1#Tab

This looks interesting, and affordable. IIRC the '07s have a mini-jack input into the system for an I-Pod. Wondering if I can use this as an "aux" jack for a portable DVD Player
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to Club Lexus! I think that if you can convert the audio out feed (likely "RCA" style composite video/audio) from your aftermarket DVD player into the factory mini-jack iPod input, it just might work but I haven't tried. You just may have some wires hanging around unless you find a way to hide them.

I have the factory DVD so I can't answer the general question about what others w/out the factory DVD are using. That said, I didn't understand the question "Is there any way to hack into the factory DVD player video out as the "source" for the DVD?"

Are you asking if you can hack into the video feed on the NAV so you can play your video through the NAV screen?
Old 11-20-06 | 11:05 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

I'm thinking about getting DVD Shuttle System from AudioVox...
It's 10.5inch Portable DVD player with Docking station for your car.
Delux docking station has built-in wireless FM modulator and TV Tuner... So, you can use car stereo...

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=&brand=
Old 11-20-06 | 12:09 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by llcc1975
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to Club Lexus! I think that if you can convert the audio out feed (likely "RCA" style composite video/audio) from your aftermarket DVD player into the factory mini-jack iPod input, it just might work but I haven't tried. You just may have some wires hanging around unless you find a way to hide them.

I have the factory DVD so I can't answer the general question about what others w/out the factory DVD are using. That said, I didn't understand the question "Is there any way to hack into the factory DVD player video out as the "source" for the DVD?"

Are you asking if you can hack into the video feed on the NAV so you can play your video through the NAV screen?
I figured since the front changer can play DVDs, it must have video-out of some sort, or so I wish

I think I'm going to go the cheap route first.
Old 11-20-06 | 08:59 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

I figured since the front changer can play DVDs, it must have video-out of some sort, or so I wish

I think I'm going to go the cheap route first.
I get what you are saying now. Sorry, my misunderstanding. I remember now that the 2007s have DVD changer up front. I have a 2005 and the only DVD is in the center armrest and only comes if you get the factory DVD.

I would presume that there is a video out from the factory DVD changer that you could tap into or else why would it be a DVD changer. I don't know if it will be a common RCA composite out though. What you could do is take it to a local stereo shop and they could possibly check it out for you when you get ready to go forward with that.