GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Owner - Hello to all...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 12:00 PM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Hello to all...

Hi:

I pulled the trigger on a brand new 07 GX470. I bought it in the Bay Area, CA.

It is Ash Blue ( great color), with Nav, Mark Lev, 3rd row seat (I didn't want but can't buy without). It does not have RSE, I didn't want it. I wanted the Sport Package, but they were too hard to come by and came with RSE and Lexus Link making it about $5k more, and it just wasn't worth it to me. After all, the GX in 03 was 4Wheeler of the year without KDSS, then again in 04 with KDSS, so I believed that it would be a great truck with or without KDSS.

My impressions are:

1. Drives like a dream. So smooth. Plenty of power and very comfortable.

2. Wife loves it because it's posh. I love it because it is a real 4WD and I can go to the snow and the mountains and know that it is the real deal when it comes to 4-wheelin'.

3. Bluetooth is awesome - so is the NAV.

4. Mirrors should have been power fold-up - I can't believe Lexus didn't make that happen.

5. Not sure I like the rear barn door vs. the lift up gate, but oh well. I miss the electric rear window I had on my 4Runner, lexus should make that happen too.

6. Premium gas is tough on the wallet, but you get better performance. It turns out the new 4Runner, which I almost bought instead, also takes premium gas. I finally thought the $5k premium for the GX was worth it vs. the 4Runner.

7. I took out the rear seats since I'll probably never use them.

8. I bought the Lexus all weather mats on ebay, new, and they are well worth it. About $75.

9. I'd love to hack the Nav so it works all the time, the limited access while driving is annoying - but the lawyers probably necesitate it.

10. I can't wait to get it dirty in deep snow or mud to see it perform.

Merry Christmas...
Old 12-22-06, 09:06 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations Sctazmon!

A lot of us bought the GX because it is a real off road vehicle , but if you read the 4wheeler of the year articles they did not use a stock Lexus - removed a lot of the trim, the running boards, and changed out the tires for starters.

It IS a great vehicle, but you might want to take it a bit slow checking out the capabilities. I did manage to get it stuck in the snow last year and had to dig impacted snow from under the skid plates.

Thanks for the detailed commentary and review!
Old 01-03-07, 11:04 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

welcome to clublexus and congrats on the purchase. 99% of all owners here love their cars and are very friendly. Use the search forum and ask questions if you need.
Old 01-04-07, 05:13 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Congrats .. I also love my GX ..

enjoy
Old 01-04-07, 09:51 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Welcome sctazmon

Awesome color btw

I agree about the rear power window rolling down. Kind of stupid that the 4runner has it while the gx doesn't.

I was in your shoe too about waiting to get the kdss. I was a little ansy and didn't get it, but no regrets.

I love my gx too........can we have a bigger trunk?
Old 01-04-07, 10:25 AM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Now I need to shop for an extended warranty.
Old 01-04-07, 10:49 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sctazmon

Thanks. Now I need to shop for an extended warranty.
The best price I've gotten for a Lexus GX470 Platinum 7/100,000 is $2080.00.

~ Cap
Old 01-04-07, 11:30 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL!!

I don't know if you test drove one with sport package?? I would've bought one with KDSS if I joined this forum sooner... That's my only regret...
And, we need better center console with bigger arm rest!!

That's about all my complains....
I love it! It's a perfect family car!!
Old 01-04-07, 03:33 PM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Capirato
The best price I've gotten for a Lexus GX470 Platinum 7/100,000 is $2080.00.

~ Cap
That is the same price Troy quoted me.
Old 01-04-07, 03:36 PM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by hsk73
Welcome to CL!!

I don't know if you test drove one with sport package?? I would've bought one with KDSS if I joined this forum sooner... That's my only regret...
And, we need better center console with bigger arm rest!!

That's about all my complains....
I love it! It's a perfect family car!!
Thx for the welcome.

KDSS would have been nice, but I don't miss it. I have a BMW M5 that I drive if I want to "feel" the road.
Old 01-04-07, 03:37 PM
94SC300TX
Rookie

We use Warranty Direct for our 02 Mercedes S430, $0 100k warranty and on our 02 Corvette. I highly recommend this company! They are great to deal with and even the Mercedes dealership said they were an acceptional warranty company. They just replaced the entire air suspension on the S430 including struts and comressor... over $4k at no cost to us and no problems, even supplied the rental car. Can't beat their price or service in my opinion.
Old 01-05-07, 06:51 AM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
We use Warranty Direct for our 02 Mercedes S430, $0 100k warranty and on our 02 Corvette. I highly recommend this company! They are great to deal with and even the Mercedes dealership said they were an acceptional warranty company. They just replaced the entire air suspension on the S430 including struts and comressor... over $4k at no cost to us and no problems, even supplied the rental car. Can't beat their price or service in my opinion.
I'm a bit leary of a 3d party warranty company. Unless they are significantly cheaper, and maybe not even then, I can't see buying a 3rd party warranty over the Factory plan.
Old 01-05-07, 07:16 AM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
This looks like a problem in California, here's what their website says:

"We have temporarily discontinued sales of our MBI Program in California due to some technical changes in the program. Upon completion we will be back offering Mechanical Breakdown Insurance to our California Customers. If you have a current quote, please contact your representative before December 15, 2006 to complete your purchase."
Old 01-10-07, 06:50 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the club,

I too moved from a 4Runner to the GX. I searched for over a year for a GX w KDSS in my price range and I found two well out of my price range. I don't regret not having it though and love the superior ride over my 99 4Runner.

I've actually grown accustomed to the barn door. In some cases, it has been a great deal easier to handle than a lift gate. However, a power lift gate would have been a different story. The fixed back window sucks. I used to use this feature to leash my dogs before opening the rear door....oh well.

I bought my 2003 with the CPO warranty and refused the extended. My wife’s 99 GS400 has been a solid car and with 85,000 miles has cost us minimally for upkeep. In every case, I’ve thrown money away on my Toyota extended warranties’, as little have gone wrong enough to justify their costs.

All my Toyotas have been between 3 and 15 years old and solid, reliable cars throughout. I’d spend your money on something more fun, as your 07 GX is not likely to give you any grief to justify a 2 - 3K insurance policy. Just my 2C.
Old 01-11-07, 05:57 AM
sctazmon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rj4510
Welcome to the club,

I too moved from a 4Runner to the GX. I searched for over a year for a GX w KDSS in my price range and I found two well out of my price range. I don't regret not having it though and love the superior ride over my 99 4Runner.

I've actually grown accustomed to the barn door. In some cases, it has been a great deal easier to handle than a lift gate. However, a power lift gate would have been a different story. The fixed back window sucks. I used to use this feature to leash my dogs before opening the rear door....oh well.

I bought my 2003 with the CPO warranty and refused the extended. My wife’s 99 GS400 has been a solid car and with 85,000 miles has cost us minimally for upkeep. In every case, I’ve thrown money away on my Toyota extended warranties’, as little have gone wrong enough to justify their costs.

All my Toyotas have been between 3 and 15 years old and solid, reliable cars throughout. I’d spend your money on something more fun, as your 07 GX is not likely to give you any grief to justify a 2 - 3K insurance policy. Just my 2C.
Thanks for the reply. I'm on the fence about the warranty, but I'll probably buy it anyway. It will offer better resale value assuming I sell the car at about the 6 year point. Also, if one thing craps out it could pay for itself. It's a tough call.

Although the only advantage I see to buying a warranty now, with currently only 1500 miles on my GX, is the price lock in, otherwise I can hold onto my $2,000 for 4 years and then buy the warranty. I can't imagine the warranty prices climbing that fast?

Since you have a CPO warranty, you essentially have the 100k extended warranty already.

And lastly, like you, I was going to buy a used GX, but I discovered I could buy a new one for almost the same price as the 1 or 2 year old ones! I was amazed, so I bought brand new, and since it is my wife's daily driver, she loves me for it.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Hello to all...