GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Did you know you can use the nav screen on the fly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 06:08 PM
LuckyGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know you can use the nav screen on the fly?

For those of you who want to be able to use the navigation/destination screen while in motion, here's your solution, it's very simple:

In the nav screen press the "menu" button at the bottom below the screen and then tap "volume" in the screen. Now in the volume screen just tap the screen in the upper left corner, then bottom left corner, upper left corner again, bottom left corner again. You will not be tapping on any icons, just the blank background of the volume screen, so don't be confused that you're tapping on nothing, it'll work. A screen will pop up with several options, I wouldn't suggest experimenting with all of them. The one you want is "Override". Press and hold the "overide" option until you hear a beep (about 6 seconds), The word "override" will now be in black. You have now unlocked all of the locked down options that take effect when the vehicle is in motion. Now you can enter addresses in the destination screen while in motion!

Now I can really only speak to this working on the GX470, I don't know how effective it is in other models, probably the same being that they use the same systems in most models. Good luck!

Old 01-26-07, 08:45 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

j/k

yea we know...thanks tho

BTW Welcome!

Dan
Old 01-27-07, 12:42 AM
ecalica428
Driver School Candidate

not with the version 6.1 ..thats why i missed my previous version
Old 01-27-07, 07:42 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

yes we need to fix for the 07's
Old 01-27-07, 05:58 PM
shodog
Rookie

I tried this technique and it no worky. Where exactly do I need to tap on the left side of the screen and is it one tap or repeated taps?
Old 01-27-07, 09:03 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LuckyGX
For those of you who want to be able to use the navigation/destination screen while in motion, here's your solution, it's very simple:

In the nav screen press the "menu" button at the bottom below the screen and then tap "volume" in the screen. Now in the volume screen just tap the screen in the upper left corner, then bottom left corner, upper left corner again, bottom left corner again. You will not be tapping on any icons, just the blank background of the volume screen, so don't be confused that you're tapping on nothing, it'll work. A screen will pop up with several options, I wouldn't suggest experimenting with all of them. The one you want is "Override". Press and hold the "overide" option until you hear a beep (about 6 seconds), The word "override" will now be in black. You have now unlocked all of the locked down options that take effect when the vehicle is in motion. Now you can enter addresses in the destination screen while in motion!

Now I can really only speak to this working on the GX470, I don't know how effective it is in other models, probably the same being that they use the same systems in most models. Good luck!

I have an 06 GX. Would this work for me? Also, once I do it, does it stay unlocked or do I have to repeat it everytime? Also, does this unlock the bluetooth and RSES DVD player? Thanks!
Old 01-28-07, 06:30 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

doc,

i think you have to repeat each time you crank the vehicle
Old 01-28-07, 04:16 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hidden Nav override

There has been extensive discussion on this topic in prior posts - please use the search feature. The prior discussions also highlight some of the pitfalls, should you be adventurous enough to "play with" the other buttons in the service override menu screen....which is probably why it no longer works in newer versions of the software.

And yes Doc you will have to do it each time...additionally, when using the hidden override feature - you will be overriding your vehicle speed sensor - so if your nav satellite loses you briefly it may not give you instructions at the appropriate time and you could miss your turn - this is one of the milder problems that could arise from entering into the service menu.

Oh yeah - and LuckyGX - welcome to CL