GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Leaving the Lexus Family

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 12:13 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mm25fx35
I also think that the Escalade is way overpriced if you get it loaded with every option. For that price you start to enter LX and LS460 territory. I would MUCH rather have the LS460 (even though its a car) or the new JX570. But its much more than I could even think of spending on a vehicle. I thought 40K for a loaded minivan was a bit high!!
This is what I am up against now. The Escalade is overpriced, however it's a beautiful vehicle inside & out when you see and drive it in person (especially with the 22" rims).

So my shopping experience has turned up with a loaded AWD Escalade in the low $60K range. This slightly lower than the price quoted to me for a new Lexus LX.

I know the LX is more refined and reliable, but it seems smaller than the Escalade. And if you compare apples to apples the LX to the Escalade, the Escalade comes out on top spec wise. Altough the Escalade is not a Lexus, Cadillac did a great job with this revamp.

But you are right, the Escalade and even the LX are overpriced for full size SUVs. The other option for $10K less is the Yukon Denali and save even more money (another $5K) by getting a regular fully loaded Yukon (GMC has $2,250 cash back at this time for further incentive).
Old 02-07-07, 03:40 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

The Escalade is by far one of the better looking SUV's available, but at a price that is higher than most SUV's. IMHO if your able to get what you want (judging by the vehicles you are considering) then you should go with your gut. There is only one Lexus and most of us on this board will agree that the quality and service is unsurpassed, but also at a price. The Denali is a very nice looking vehicle as well and spec for spec they are almost identical. I think you can even get the same engine as the Escalade, but like you said for 10K less. There are very few that can challenge Lexus, but I think the Domestics are begining to close the gap a little. I'm not saying the Expedition can come close to the GX or LX in quality and reputation, but it really impressed us enough to order one that we wanted, for much less than a LX or Caddy.
Old 02-08-07, 02:12 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

The Escalade is by far one of the better looking SUV's available, but at a price that is higher than most SUV's. IMHO if your able to get what you want (judging by the vehicles you are considering) then you should go with your gut. There is only one Lexus and most of us on this board will agree that the quality and service is unsurpassed, but also at a price. The Denali is a very nice looking vehicle as well and spec for spec they are almost identical. I think you can even get the same engine as the Escalade, but like you said for 10K less. There are very few that can challenge Lexus, but I think the Domestics are begining to close the gap a little. I'm not saying the Expedition can come close to the GX or LX in quality and reputation, but it really impressed us enough to order one that we wanted, for much less than a LX or Caddy.
For a true full size SUV, the Americans started it and still have this market even if they are not the most refined and highest quality vehicles out there. But the quality is still there (Cadillac is in the top 10) and the value for the money overall for a Tahoe or Yukon vs a similar luxury foreign vehicle is significant. $80K for a Range Rover, $70K for a LX?
Old 02-08-07, 03:30 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexguynj
For a true full size SUV, the Americans started it and still have this market even if they are not the most refined and highest quality vehicles out there. But the quality is still there (Cadillac is in the top 10) and the value for the money overall for a Tahoe or Yukon vs a similar luxury foreign vehicle is significant. $80K for a Range Rover, $70K for a LX?
You know what's funny? A $95,000 Range Rover........given its supercharged, but my god! Land Rover is known for terrible quality, yet they can demand that much for a vehicle..

Others may not agree with me, but again, the Expedition was the best bang for the buck. It may not be the most desirable SUV, but its a good comprimise.

You are right though, Caddy has been much better with quality.
Old 02-08-07, 03:34 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what's funny? A $95,000 Range Rover........given its supercharged, but my god! Land Rover is known for terrible quality, yet they can demand that much for a vehicle..

Others may not agree with me, but again, the Expedition was the best bang for the buck. It may not be the most desirable SUV, but its a good comprimise.

You are right though, Caddy has been much better with quality.
Ferraris are not reliable either, yet they have no trouble selling them with a 3 year waiting list.

One day, we will all be dead. I do not want my epitaph to read...

"Joe Schmoe, may he rest in peace. He lived his life with the desire to drive the most reliable car giving up all other aspirations and desires in life."

You get my drift. I agree the Caddy blows away the LX hands down.
Old 02-08-07, 05:01 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

"Joe Schmoe, may he rest in peace. He lived his life with the desire to drive the most reliable car giving up all other aspirations and desires in life."

That's a good one....
Old 02-09-07, 11:02 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
[snip]
Between my wife and I, we've had 27 cars. Half of them domestic and absolute piles of crap. I had a 92 Camry with a bad transmission once
[snip]
Wow! 27 vehicles? How is that possible? I had only 4 vehicles over 21 years (and still have three of them). First was a '84 Toyota extracab pickup I bought in '86 for $5.7K, drove it for 10 yrs, sold it for $2K (only changed the engine oil, air filter, and coolant..nothing else in 10 yrs). Second was a hand-me-down '86 4runner 4WD (got it in '00 w/ 93K mi, was my only car for 2 yrs, now my DD w/ 199K mi, original tranny/clutch/alternator, etc.), a '01 honda prelude for my wife, and a '03 LX for the baby/recreation car. None have broken down, A/C on the 4runner still blows cold (been recharged 2x in 21 yrs).

Last edited by V8_Fan; 02-09-07 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 12:12 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Wow! 27 vehicles? How is that possible? I had only 4 vehicles over 21 years

That's because you learned to stay away from cheap crap long before we did

There will be a long time, before we ever buy domestic again. Even the bad tranny we had in my Camry didn't leave us stranded. Like I said earlier. All...and I do mean all of our American cars left us stranded and cost us a tons more than we ever bargained for.

We could have easily purchased an import at double the price of our domestics and saved us a lot of grief in the process. My wife and I turn beet red when we re-live all the times we risked our lives, while our domestic cars left us stranded in the worst places possible. Our favorite to date...taking 16 hours to drive from Salt Lake to Vegas, breaking down three times, just to arrive and have Budget rentals tell us the truck is our problem and getting it to our contracted destination was also our problem.

We were traveling with my parents cats on that trip and couldn't stay in a respectable place over-night. So we ended up in a pink by-the-hour Motel.

We couldn't sleep a wink, so we left the dump for Phoenix at 5:00 AM. By 7:00 AM, we were broken down, yet again in the middle of the desert. We were on our way around 1:00PM after watching the cats almost die of heat stroke, and the piece of crap Ford broke down again.

We left the truck and my parents belongings in the middle of the desert and drove home in the car we were towing (should have done that at the first break down).

Long story short...this was the short version. We ended up making the whole trip Budget Trucks' problem. It wasn't pretty...but we won. The saddest thing about the rental truck was it only had 106K miles on the diesel engine.

Again, I wish all whom desire domestic cars the best...we haven't had any luck with them and neither of the domestics we've owned had more than 60K miles on them.

Sorry to ramble
Old 02-09-07, 12:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

40+ cars here. 10 or so domestsic. All had issues but better then the Germans I owned.

Back to the OP, it seems you are already aware of the compromises of the Expeditiion. I have had mine (07 rental, 2k miles) for a bit now. It is not bad-I would go as far as to say that it is nice. Very comfortable. Very roomy. Good pickup from the V8 Triton considering the weight. I would just highly recommend a 100k bumper to bumper though as things will go wrong. This one has two issue already. Bad drivers power seat and loose interior trim piece. Best of luck with it.
Old 02-09-07, 01:20 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
40+ cars here. 10 or so domestsic. All had issues but better then the Germans I owned.

Back to the OP, it seems you are already aware of the compromises of the Expeditiion. I have had mine (07 rental, 2k miles) for a bit now. It is not bad-I would go as far as to say that it is nice. Very comfortable. Very roomy. Good pickup from the V8 Triton considering the weight. I would just highly recommend a 100k bumper to bumper though as things will go wrong. This one has two issue already. Bad drivers power seat and loose interior trim piece. Best of luck with it.
so you have an 07 Expedition? If you don't mind me asking, what reason(s) prompted you to purchase it?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-07, 01:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rental. My 06 Fusion has been in the shop for the past 6 of 7 weeks. had the 07 mustang rental for 4 weeks. problematic as well. now have the expedition. Should be turning in next week.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-09-07 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 02:06 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I am still avoiding the more practical minivan. You know what they say, you're a miniman if you own a minivan!
We have a 6 years old and a 6-mos old so When we were car shopping I really like the Odyssy or the Sienna but the wife said "Your sex life is over when you drive a van". Well, I never want that to happen so we ended up getting her an AWD IS. It is very TIGHT with the carseat, almost impossible.
Old 02-09-07, 04:35 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
We have a 6 years old and a 6-mos old so When we were car shopping I really like the Odyssy or the Sienna but the wife said "Your sex life is over when you drive a van". Well, I never want that to happen so we ended up getting her an AWD IS. It is very TIGHT with the carseat, almost impossible.

WOW! I can only imagine how cramped that might be!
Old 02-09-07, 05:14 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

We just had our 2nd child
Congrats I wish you the best
Old 02-09-07, 07:26 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Ironic. I am driving around in a 07 Expedition while my 06 Fusion is in the shop for the 9TH time-this time for a idler pulley. Wife and I are looking to get in to something that provides more interior room vs the Tundra we have. If room is what you are looking for the Expedition has it-it is very loong inside. But, that is all I can find I like about it other than the comfortable seats. The Fusion experience coupled with a one month long rental in a 07 Mustang that stalled twice and also had a broken gas gauge (3000miles,4500 when turned in) prevents us from considering a Ford as a Tundra replacement.
So I am curious, was there something other than size that pushes you to the Ford?
The GX is on our list along with the new Tundra when it comes out but your mention of tightness with a baby seat concerns me so I will have to take our seat to the dealer to find out how tight it is.
Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry about the confusion. It finally clicked that you didn't own the Expedition.

Did you test the car seat in the GX yet?