GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Leaving the Lexus Family

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 08:46 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaving the Lexus Family

Hi Guys and Gals!

Well the inevitable happened and we will be leaving the Lexus family for a larger SUV. We just had our 2nd child and there is just not enough room for all of our stuff and our family dog. The car seat of our newborn is rear facing and its just not comfortabe for my wife since her knees are against the dash. This is her vehicle and she really doesn't want to give it up, but it was a family decision. We are getting a 07 Ford Expedition and it will be due in around the middle of March, so we have sometime left with her. We are not trading it in with the 20" wheels and they will be going on e-bay auction within a few weeks.

Its been a geat ride and this is one vehicle we will truley miss!! Hopefully someday we will be back. Thanks for everyones help over the last couple of years!
Old 02-02-07, 11:45 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

That was a nice BRB
Old 02-03-07, 04:29 AM
rklages
Pole Position

You'll be back - I did the same thing and left and bought a Tahoe, after 2 years I came back and will never again own a domestic vehicle!
Old 02-03-07, 04:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A Ford Expedition? I hope you are kidding.
Old 02-03-07, 04:35 PM
LexFather

good luck! stick around
Old 02-03-07, 05:15 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

We just weren't ready for a minivan. So we wanted a SUV that had captains chairs in the 2nd row for access to the 3rd row without disrupting the 2nd row seating. We are not big fans of GM and just didn't like the way the Tahoe/Yukon/denali/suburban/yukon xl/ drove. We did however test drive an Acadia and it was a compromise between a minvan and a SUV, but it was very underpowered and a new model so we just didn't want to take that chance, especially with GM. Believe me we lookd at EVERYTHING and actually were very impressed with the Expedition's ride and quiet interior. Nothing compares to the GX, but it was a family decision.......
Old 02-03-07, 07:57 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the Expedition. I'm going the opposite direction...going from larger to smaller SUV's. Went from an Excursion to an Expedition to the GX.
I do have to tell you that I couldn't have been happier to get rid of the '04 Expedtion a couple weeks ago. I always liked the looks of the truck, and it drove pretty well for a full size, but the compliments end there. In the ~3 years I had it, my guess is that is was at the dealer for service ~25 times.
Keep an close eye on the seats if you're getting leather....mine were all replaced three times in three years (front & back), and I know other people who had the same issue. (MAJOR cracking and wear) Hopefully Ford has figured that one out by now.
Old 02-03-07, 09:01 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck to you and your family, and I hope the Expedition works out well for you. I owned a Ford Explorer for 10 years before the GX, and it was about the most trouble-free vehicle I had ever owned - a few minor repairs over the years but even the leather seats and the CD changer held up well. Others have reported problems, so as with everything there is a bit of luck involved.

The kids will be out of car seats before you know it, and your choices will expand again.
Old 02-03-07, 10:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ironic. I am driving around in a 07 Expedition while my 06 Fusion is in the shop for the 9TH time-this time for a idler pulley. Wife and I are looking to get in to something that provides more interior room vs the Tundra we have. If room is what you are looking for the Expedition has it-it is very loong inside. But, that is all I can find I like about it other than the comfortable seats. The Fusion experience coupled with a one month long rental in a 07 Mustang that stalled twice and also had a broken gas gauge (3000miles,4500 when turned in) prevents us from considering a Ford as a Tundra replacement.
So I am curious, was there something other than size that pushes you to the Ford?
The GX is on our list along with the new Tundra when it comes out but your mention of tightness with a baby seat concerns me so I will have to take our seat to the dealer to find out how tight it is.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-03-07 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 07:03 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Unhappy

I haven't meat a Ford that hasn't left me on the road...usually in extreme hot or cold conditions. I had one fry every wire to the head and tail lights on a winding mountain pass at midnight too.

At least my GMs broke in the driveway. My Chryslers...they all ran great and their engines were strong...until they prematurely self-distructed.

Between my wife and I, we've had 27 cars. Half of them domestic and absolute piles of crap. I had a 92 Camry with a bad transmission once

I wish you the best...but I have little hope for the domestic car makers at this point. Even my Ford moving truck left me stranded in the Las Vegas desert three years ago.

How about a different car seat or the new Sequoa?

Last edited by rj4510; 02-04-07 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 05:31 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Ironic. I am driving around in a 07 Expedition while my 06 Fusion is in the shop for the 9TH time-this time for a idler pulley. Wife and I are looking to get in to something that provides more interior room vs the Tundra we have. If room is what you are looking for the Expedition has it-it is very loong inside. But, that is all I can find I like about it other than the comfortable seats. The Fusion experience coupled with a one month long rental in a 07 Mustang that stalled twice and also had a broken gas gauge (3000miles,4500 when turned in) prevents us from considering a Ford as a Tundra replacement.
So I am curious, was there something other than size that pushes you to the Ford?
The GX is on our list along with the new Tundra when it comes out but your mention of tightness with a baby seat concerns me so I will have to take our seat to the dealer to find out how tight it is.
Thanks for the heads up.

The size of the Expedition is what drove us to give up the GX. We just had our 2nd child and our 1st is 2 years old, so the second row is very tight to say the least and along with the strange configuration of the LATCH anchors it just isn't practical anymore. We plan on having a 3rd child, so that being said once our newborn goes to a forward facing seat, the next child will go to another rear facing making it impossible to get to the 3rd row of seats for our oldest son. I read that some people have their children going through the tailgate, but that just doesn't seem like a good solution. With both car seats in the second row and one of them being a GRACO rear facing seat, the front passenger has to have their seat all the way up just to make room for it, and that in my opinion is not safe. Like I said earlier, we had the option of going the minivan route, but its was hard for my wife and I to go from a Lexus to a minivan. Beside we are SUV people
Old 02-04-07, 05:40 PM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by rj4510
I haven't meat a Ford that hasn't left me on the road...usually in extreme hot or cold conditions. I had one fry every wire to the head and tail lights on a winding mountain pass at midnight too.

At least my GMs broke in the driveway. My Chryslers...they all ran great and their engines were strong...until they prematurely self-distructed.

Between my wife and I, we've had 27 cars. Half of them domestic and absolute piles of crap. I had a 92 Camry with a bad transmission once

I wish you the best...but I have little hope for the domestic car makers at this point. Even my Ford moving truck left me stranded in the Las Vegas desert three years ago.

How about a different car seat or the new Sequoa?

The rear facing car seat is a Graco snug ride, but I don't think a different seat will make any difference. As far as the new sequioa, if it was already out it would be without a doubt a top choice. I havn't heard of a timeframe yet for its arrival. We travel out of state several times during the year to visit family and that will start in a few weeks so we wanted to make a decision fairly soon. We did our homework and test drove a few vehicles that met our requirements and tis was the best fit. We couldn't really pass up the deal as well, we got KBB for the GX and paid $500.00 over invoice for the Expedition so it was a good deal............Iknow, I know the domestics practically give cars away and resale will never be equal to that of a foreign vehicle, and BELEIVE me that hurts too.......
Old 02-05-07, 12:32 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Similar situation here too. I have 2 newborns and one 3 year old toddler. The Captain chairs in the 2nd row will not work out for me, since I need that 3rd row cleared out for baby gear. So the Yukon / Escalade 2nd row bench seems to work with the wider seating area and 2 sets of latches and 1 seatbelt. The Ford Expedition is also a good choice, but I liked the ride of the Yukon Denali and Escalade and GM did a great job on the revamp.

I am still hesistant to buy an American vehicle since it's been a long time, but the Cadillac Escalade seems to be at the top of my list. I was also pleasantly surprised by the refinement and smooth ride of the Lexus LX, but it seems slightly smaller than the Escalade and both are definitely more expensive than an Expedition.

I am still avoiding the more practical minivan. You know what they say, you're a miniman if you own a minivan!
Old 02-05-07, 06:44 AM
mm25fx35
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Similar situation here too. I have 2 newborns and one 3 year old toddler. The Captain chairs in the 2nd row will not work out for me, since I need that 3rd row cleared out for baby gear. So the Yukon / Escalade 2nd row bench seems to work with the wider seating area and 2 sets of latches and 1 seatbelt. The Ford Expedition is also a good choice, but I liked the ride of the Yukon Denali and Escalade and GM did a great job on the revamp.

I am still hesistant to buy an American vehicle since it's been a long time, but the Cadillac Escalade seems to be at the top of my list. I was also pleasantly surprised by the refinement and smooth ride of the Lexus LX, but it seems slightly smaller than the Escalade and both are definitely more expensive than an Expedition.

I am still avoiding the more practical minivan. You know what they say, you're a miniman if you own a minivan!

We love the GX, but Lexus doesn't offer anything larger except the LX and that is more than we want to spend. I did like the ride of the 07 denali and the Escalade is a sharp looking vehicle, but we liked the Expedition because of its refined ride and better bang for the buck. We usually keep vehicles for 3 to 4 years and we are fairly confident the Expedition will be fine for that period of time. I agree with you about the minivan thing, its is just difficult for us to do.

We thought about the bench seat, but we figured that we can fold down one of the 3rd row seats for luggage and gear. So we'll see how that works out.
Old 02-05-07, 09:16 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mm25fx35
We love the GX, but Lexus doesn't offer anything larger except the LX and that is more than we want to spend. I did like the ride of the 07 denali and the Escalade is a sharp looking vehicle, but we liked the Expedition because of its refined ride and better bang for the buck. We usually keep vehicles for 3 to 4 years and we are fairly confident the Expedition will be fine for that period of time. I agree with you about the minivan thing, its is just difficult for us to do.

We thought about the bench seat, but we figured that we can fold down one of the 3rd row seats for luggage and gear. So we'll see how that works out.
You still made a great choice in the newly revamped Expedition. That vehicle has tons of space and will serve the family well. Hey it got you out of getting a minivan which is great!

One thing I will miss about Lexus is the ultimate service they provide in a beautiful setting and of course the free loaner cars (if I don't got with the Caddy). Lexus is definitely also top notch when it comes to service even if it depends on the dealer.

Quick Reply: Leaving the Lexus Family