GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 owner test drive of LX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 11:33 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Have you taken it offroad yet? Drive it a couple hundred miles offroad including some washboards and see if it rattles afterwards.
Yes. This one time, the mail man was blocking my driveway and I had to go across the edge of the yard to get to the road. I got on the road, unlocked the differential and shifted back to high range and there were still no squeaks or rattles. Toyota quality, yo!

Last edited by I6turbo; 02-19-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 05:56 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Yes. This one time, the mail man was blocking my driveway and I had to go across the edge of the yard to get to the road. I got on the road, unlocked the differential and shifted back to high range and there were still no squeaks or rattles. Toyota quality, yo!
What kind of lawn do you have that you had to switch to low range and lock the diffs? Around here, my lawn is probably smoother than most of the roads, unless we have had tons of rain. Right now my driveway is still covered in ice, including some wierd mounds - I only really lock the diff when entering through the doorway itself - there is maybe an inch of clearance as I top a mound and a bit of slip the other day made me nervous.
Old 02-19-07, 06:19 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sarcasm noted here....
Old 02-20-07, 07:38 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
What kind of lawn do you have that you had to switch to low range and lock the diffs? Around here, my lawn is probably smoother than most of the roads, unless we have had tons of rain. Right now my driveway is still covered in ice, including some wierd mounds - I only really lock the diff when entering through the doorway itself - there is maybe an inch of clearance as I top a mound and a bit of slip the other day made me nervous.
LOL As jjbodean noticed, I was poking fun at the fact that most of us don't do too much serious offroading.

Personally, I'd be surprised if the truck got all rattly and squeaky from a little offroading. I had a LOT of offroad experience in Fords and GMC/Chevys back in the 70s and 80s, and come to think of it, a little with a Toyota SR5, and I didn't notice it shaking them to pieces -- and we were WORKING these trucks hard, not just playing around in a mudhole. Of course those old trucks weren't nearly as tight as a modern Toyota, but they stayed together pretty well. We were mostly pulling heavy trailers or hauling heavy loads through mud, and driving over mildly rough terrain, so it probably wouldn't be as punishing (in terms of loosening up a body) as high-speed over washboard surfaces.
Old 02-20-07, 07:51 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Not really that much more. In Japan, they don't sell the LX. It's instead called the Landcruiser Cygnus. There, the Landcruiser is available w/ cloth seats and no navi for $45K, while the fully equipped Cygnus is $55K. Oh, the Cygnus and LC there didn't get vvti in '06 while the overseas LC's and LX's did.

Besides exterior appearance, you get projector low beams/fogs, 18" wheels (most LC's overseas come w/ 17"), maybe nicer leather, nicely finished real wood vs. fake wood that fades from sunlight, memory seats, superior levinson audio, side/curtain airbags are standard ($800 option on the LC), optional infra-red night vision. You also get the AHC suspension, but now the LC's sold here from '06 have it as a $4K option (LC's overseas have had them from the start). In reality, the LC's you can buy here are fully equipped (DVD navi, side/curtain bags, upgraded JBL audio, AHC suspension, etc.) and list for about $60K...not much less than the LX. By the time you get all the optios, the price is virtually the same, so why buy the LC? Now you know why the LX outsells the LC 2:1! The lexus dealers are also much more willing to deal on the LX's while toyota dealers aren't willing to deal and hardly sell any. When gas was $3/gal, some guys bought new LX's for $60K.

Actually the AHC is a 1,600 option and airbags are around 600, but most do list for at least 60K. Still a big difference for me b/c I purchased my 2006 LC for 52K even (sticker of 62K) - not sure you can get an LX within 8-9K of that.
Old 02-23-07, 05:36 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL As jjbodean noticed, I was poking fun at the fact that most of us don't do too much serious offroading.

Personally, I'd be surprised if the truck got all rattly and squeaky from a little offroading. I had a LOT of offroad experience in Fords and GMC/Chevys back in the 70s and 80s, and come to think of it, a little with a Toyota SR5, and I didn't notice it shaking them to pieces -- and we were WORKING these trucks hard, not just playing around in a mudhole. Of course those old trucks weren't nearly as tight as a modern Toyota, but they stayed together pretty well. We were mostly pulling heavy trailers or hauling heavy loads through mud, and driving over mildly rough terrain, so it probably wouldn't be as punishing (in terms of loosening up a body) as high-speed over washboard surfaces.
My bad. I figured the "example" of off-roading quality was a joke, but that somehow you really did have to lock the diffs on your lawn.

I'm wondering if we will get a real snowstorm or two before the winter is out. I don't really want one, but the GX is all chomping at the bit...
Old 07-03-07, 08:56 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Ressurecting this thread.... I finally drove the LX last weekend. I like it, but you can definitely feel the extra ~925 lbs. both in a positive way (even more solid feeling) and in a negative way (slower and more cumbersome, and even less performance oriented than the not-very-performance-oriented GX). And keep in mind that this was comparing my lower powered '03 GX to an '07 LX. The ride was SLIGHTLY smoother in the LX, but not very different IMO. The LX seats are a bit more cushy and the vehicle is clearly a step up in terms of "luxury," and I think this accounted for most of the difference that I noticed. All things considered, I THINK I prefer the GX, even if the cost were the same (which, for used models in the '03/'04 range, it pretty much is the same). I'm going to drive the LX again because I really didn't come to a firm conclusion on preference as there are things that I like better about the GX and things I like better about the LX. I just don't know if the LX feels too boat-like for my tastes, or not. I really like the GX so it'll be a tough task for the LX to unseat it. It's not too much of a consideration, but I think the GX looks a good bit better.
Old 07-03-07, 10:35 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I also test drove the LX and it felt bigger and heavier. However, I was more comfortable in the LX. It was a little more roomier. The seat was a little wider, longer, plush and more comfortable for me. The price tag of the LX scared me though. I chose the GX because these little differences did not cost justify the variance in price ($47K for GX and $67K for LX at the time!).