GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 07:39 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OBXTucker
I would be concerned (or at the least, curious) about the range of the LuxLink. If it's using the existing remote, you're not going to be able to start your GX very far away.

Here's another vote for the Viper 791. About $700 professionally installed with alarm and remote 2-way starter (the LED remote shows that the car is actually running, plus shows if there's a break-in). Farthest I've been able to start it is a little over 1/4 mile. Starts easily through 5 walls in my home.

Another thing to consider is the battery life of the LuxLink. Since you'll be using your remote 3 times more often (press 3 times to start), that will probably significantly shorten battery life. Vipers take 2 AAA's and are exchangable in about 1 minute.
I completely agree with you. I think that I have the system you mention, a combined Viper remote start and security system. The range is fantastic, and it works flawlessly. I start it in church or from inside my medical office and leave it locked, quite a distance and thru several walls. It's great. Works like you said on 2 simple AAA batteries which I have not had to replace yet (over 6 months.) I was charged a little higher however, about a $1000 bucks for 2 LED remotes, the remote start, and new Viper security system.
Old 02-11-07, 08:06 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Dr. EinTN,
You're pricing is about right. I believe the extra remote is $150 +/- and if you add extra door and hood triggers, etc. the prices tops $1,000.00.

Still worth the price IMHO. Other systems can be done for much less money (one could DIY the Viper for under $500, if they are an electronics wiz!), but this is still the best money can buy, much like our Lexus'.
Old 02-11-07, 09:05 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OBXTucker
Dr. EinTN,
You're pricing is about right. I believe the extra remote is $150 +/- and if you add extra door and hood triggers, etc. the prices tops $1,000.00.

Still worth the price IMHO. Other systems can be done for much less money (one could DIY the Viper for under $500, if they are an electronics wiz!), but this is still the best money can buy, much like our Lexus'.
Thanks for your feedback and reassurance. I agree!
Old 02-16-07, 11:08 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I just bought an 05' GX. I made an appointment to take our old ES into an automotive shop Wed. and swap out the old remote into our GX. They told me on our 05' that they will have to add a module ( but i cannot remember want they called it). Cannot recall the name brand of the remote start, but i know it has a two way control pod to let you know that the truck is running, inside temp, doors locked/unlocked, etc...
The valet key that was mentioned. Is that the credit card looking key the dealer gave me, or is there another key?
Old 02-18-07, 08:50 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ohmy05'
My wife and I just bought an 05' GX. I made an appointment to take our old ES into an automotive shop Wed. and swap out the old remote into our GX. They told me on our 05' that they will have to add a module ( but i cannot remember want they called it). Cannot recall the name brand of the remote start, but i know it has a two way control pod to let you know that the truck is running, inside temp, doors locked/unlocked, etc...
The valet key that was mentioned. Is that the credit card looking key the dealer gave me, or is there another key?
They need to cannibalize something to get the transmitter with the code that allows you to start your engine. The valet key looks just like the regular key, but doesn't have the remote buttons on it. You should have been given one of these along with two regular keys. The credit card key is flat and is for emergencies (you have to hold one of the pieces near the starter to use it). I assume you can use this, but not sure if it has limited uses or something - best to check.

If you didn't get a valet key, you might want to ask the dealer...
Old 02-21-07, 11:14 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default Luxlink remote

ok... so based upon the replies.... Luxlink is the only remote start that utilizes the original key fob. Is this true? I want to get a remote starter... however, not interested in an additional remote...

How much is the Luxlink? The website doesn't list price. Can you get a Lexus dealer to install?

Any other suggestions?

STL2CHI
Old 02-21-07, 12:05 PM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by stl2chi
ok... so based upon the replies.... Luxlink is the only remote start that utilizes the original key fob. Is this true? I want to get a remote starter... however, not interested in an additional remote...

How much is the Luxlink? The website doesn't list price. Can you get a Lexus dealer to install?

Any other suggestions?

STL2CHI
The price is posted above in this same thread in a quote from an email they sent me...
Old 02-21-07, 02:15 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilverLady
They need to cannibalize something to get the transmitter with the code that allows you to start your engine. The valet key looks just like the regular key, but doesn't have the remote buttons on it. You should have been given one of these along with two regular keys. The credit card key is flat and is for emergencies (you have to hold one of the pieces near the starter to use it). I assume you can use this, but not sure if it has limited uses or something - best to check.

If you didn't get a valet key, you might want to ask the dealer...
I dropped off the GX today to have this remote start installed. uninstalled from the ES and the reinstalled to the GX. I asked them a couple ?'s about the install. They told me they are going to use new wire harnesses (which they suggested) since the old one will get a bit chopped up. Also there is a separate modual of some sort they said i would have to purchase since this model Lexus is newer. I gave them the credit card key, and they said they would use the micro chip that is inside the chip. I'll find out how all this goes in a few hours then post results. I trust these guys, been doin' business with em' a long time and buddies with alot of them, so i doubt they would do anything they didn't think they could handle.
Old 02-21-07, 08:46 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Well, i picked up the GX earlier. I'm very happy with it. Not too sure what they needed the key card for, i found it on the floor. It might have slid down from somewhere, either way, the plastic was never broke open. Truck starts like normal, the OEM keys still work. The only way i can tell any difference is when I remote start the truck, there will be a red flashing car symbol with the outline of a key going on and off in the center of the control panel. Until I insert the key and turn the ignition, then it goes away. I assume this is normal. Other wise there are no Ill affects to the truck.
Old 02-22-07, 05:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like they use the credit card key chip for the immoblizer bypass module. You might want to try out the credit card key so you wont getting surprise when you need to use it, they might have took the chip out of it. BTW, how much was the total install?
Old 02-22-07, 07:21 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

I asked them today if they had to use the chip for anything, since the package wasn't opened. They told me no, that there was a new modual available for my model and they went ahead and tried that. Everything worked out fine with it.

I swapped it out from our old Lexus. So uninstall was 40. reinstall is around 130+/- a couple dollars. Then a new wire harness was 15., and the modual was around 30 i think. came to about 230.

The starter itself has a 2-way transmitter, that lets you know your vehicle is started, among other things.
Old 02-23-07, 05:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ahhhh, so its not a LexLink remote starter and it does not work off the factory keys.
Old 02-25-07, 12:12 AM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Nope, it has its own transmitter. The OEM key remotes still work, which is cool, and i still use. But, the transmitter actually lets me know if the vehical started or not. I can start this thing from inside a steel mill while the mill is arching down, and i'm a good 1000ft away inside a little building where i cannot see the truck.
Old 02-27-07, 10:23 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ohmy05'
Nope, it has its own transmitter. The OEM key remotes still work, which is cool, and i still use. But, the transmitter actually lets me know if the vehical started or not. I can start this thing from inside a steel mill while the mill is arching down, and i'm a good 1000ft away inside a little building where i cannot see the truck.
I don't know if this was already mentioned earlier or not, but with this new transmitter, are you also able to use it to lock and unlock your doors? Or is it just solely for the purpose of starting the engine remotely?
Old 02-28-07, 05:43 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcc1975
I don't know if this was already mentioned earlier or not, but with this new transmitter, are you also able to use it to lock and unlock your doors? Or is it just solely for the purpose of starting the engine remotely?
With my Viper remote start/security system digital key fob, you can lock, unlock doors, remote start, and see if the car is actually locked or unlocked on its screen, or if someone is trying to break in to the vehicle, which door is being affected. It also has this cool feature that you can activate if you need to leave the truck running and want to remove the ignition key and lock the vehicle. This comes in handy when you need to run in for a few seconds to pay for gas or food and your 3 year old is watching a movie buckled in to the old car seat comfy. You don't have to have a gigantic production getting him out for an otherwise quick 30 second errand, and you have the peace of mind that the vehicle is locked safely and impossible to get into or steal. It is the ultimate in convenience. The key fob is very small and you can wear it on your belt if you want. It is smaller than the smallest pager that I have ever worn. I do not carry the original keyfob with me ever, I actually leave it in the vehicle. The only drawback was the total cost of the installation (I chose to do a higher tech security system and remote start with two digital key fobs.) was $1000, and I do miss just being able to use my original keyfob, but there was no way to incorporate that much technology into the factory key fob. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, and I have had it for 6 months.

Quick Reply: Remote start